OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupolds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupolds
    Posted: June/08/2009 at 16:07
I have been reading about $300 Binos unitl I feel like  Whacko....lol
The ones that have caught my eye , are the Olympics and the Mojave...
Is there any difference in between the two besides ,
the open bridge design  and the 20' more FOV @1000 of the Mojave.
I here good things about Leupolds customer service..
Do y'all recommend them for the $300 price range ?
Thanks for your time in advanced , John.

JohnFL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 14:30

Hmm..Not a lot of people on thid forum I guess.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 14:31
John,

Patience and someone will answer your question.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 19:59

Would love to help you there but, I've yet to actually handle the new Mojaves. 

I remember the Olympics being pretty good, but for $300 I would be much more inclined to look at appropriate Porro prism binoculars.  Such models will be almost universally superior to any roof prism offering in this price category.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
JohnFL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 20:37
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

John,

Patience and someone will answer your question.

Understood.Wink

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Would love to help you there but, I've yet to actually handle the new Mojaves. 

I remember the Olympics being pretty good, but for $300 I would be much more inclined to look at appropriate Porro prism binoculars.  Such models will be almost universally superior to any roof prism offering in this price category.

Main reason I'm looking for roof prism binos is porro's are a little on the large side to be packing in my little bowhunting pack...But I guess it wouldn't hurt to look either , what brand do you recommend for some porro's in the $300 range , the ones I saw are lacking in eye relief is that a problem ?

thanks in advanced for your time.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 10:52
Like luczink, I have not had a lot of experience with either Leupold you mention.  However, there are some deals out there on the discontinued Leupold Cascade porro.  That is a very good porro prism binocular.  However there is sort of a dearth of $300 porros out there.  Lots form $280 downwards, but not many upward from there.  Porros seem to be a dying breed, which is unfortunate.

I have generally had good luck with Leupold binoculars.  I just got a 7/12x32 Switch power which will likely replace a bunch of binoculars I have.  I have looked through both the Mojave and Olympic, but never side by side.  I personally would go Mojave, but that is primarily due to my personal preference for the open bridge design.

I know that is not much help, but it would be just a WAG on my part to go further.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JohnFL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 20:56

Well I found out that the mojave and the olympics and pretty much the same glass , reason for the mojave being a little higher in price is your paying for the open bridge design..Fine with me.Thanks for your help guys , by the way the new web site design and forum look great.Excellent

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 13:43
For bowhunting, consider the Leupold Katmai 6X32.  Mine are great, perfect for bowhunting.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 16:44
I have the cascades 8x42 and they are very good and a really good value.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
brunoleke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunoleke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2009 at 10:40
Can anyone tell me if the Olympic or any roof version of Leupold can be used for stargazing?
Thanks a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic