OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how important is adjustable parallax?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sphynx_000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how important is adjustable parallax?
    Posted: June/08/2009 at 07:48

I am in the process and modding a 10/22 and it is time to upgrade the scope. It will be used for a little hunting, but mostly target shooting. I am wondering if I need a parallax adjustable scope?

I would like to shoot accuratly from 25-100 yards.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 08:18
No, I personally don't think for those ranges you need to worry about parallax. 
here is what would recommend for the furry rat slayer.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5648-203-burris-2-7x35-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.aspx

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
sphynx_000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sphynx_000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 08:51
thank for the advice,

anyone alse care to comment on the parallax issue?
sphynx_000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sphynx_000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 09:39

What scope would you recomend for my needs?

A bushnell legend 5-15 AO or bushnell 3200 3-9? Both can be had for about $200.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 09:39
I think this is an interesting topic.  Those who shoot short range say it is extremely important for air and rim fire distances, even more so than long range shooting.  And those who shoot longer ranges say just the opposite.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 10:09
I have found that for most of my rimfire shooting that adjustable parallax doesn't make much of a difference. This is for hunting purposes from 25-100 yds.
When the distance is measured in feet and not yards, it does make a difference. Precision shooting at seven yards requires AO for me.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 12:54
For 25-100 yards I would suggest a scope that the PA is set at 50 yards max. Or get an adjustable parallax. IOf fine target shooting at these ranges then you will want an adjustable. For just general rabbit, squirrel, and varmints the 50 yard corrected will do just fine.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 15:41
I have one of these on my 22
849431 Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope                                                                             Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $139.95
More Info... Buy Now
I have also had one of these on a 22 and the knobs can be used like tactical / target knobs mine is the old style with the parallax on the front but the glass is awesome and if you will be doing mostly target shooting it is really nice to be able to see the holes in the targets at 16x
424164SF Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 23:42
For hunting parallax adjustment gets in the way because scopes with adjustable objectives have a narrow depth of field and that can slow your shot while you refocus. For a hunting/plinking 22 I like a fixed focus rimfire scope like a Weaver 4x28 or RV7 2.5-7x28.

Semi serious target shooting is a whole different animal. At rimfire ranges parallax becomes an issue at about 9x and above and the greater the magnification the bigger an issue it becomes. Now if you're shooting $13/brick bulk pack out of a stock 10/22 it still won't really matter because neither the rifle or the ammo are capable of holding much better than 1" at 50yds. It's when you get into high magnification on a precision 22 rifle shooting good quality target or match ammo that parallax correction can make the difference between putting 5rds into a single ragged little hole or a so-so group. It doesn't make up for the need for a consistent cheekweld but it helps a whole bunch.

Personally I keep a 10/22 setup as a plinker, a pair setup as bench rest rifles, and I'm building one as a specialized silhouette rifle. That way I don't have to deal with  compromises.

My scope of choice for target shooting:
Weaver 6-24x42 Classic V Rifle Scope                                                                                    Weaver 6-24x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Varmint Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $349.95
More Info...

Edited by sholling - June/10/2009 at 02:42
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic