OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ar 15 rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ar 15 rings
    Posted: June/07/2009 at 12:02

I am getting a rock river arms ar and I already have a Leupold 6.5-20 x 50mm scope. I am not sure what rings to purchase.Does any one know what height rings it will need if I decide on the badger or the mark 4 rings. Thanks in advance.(oh yea flat top ar)

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 12:18
On flat tops, i prefer LaRue's 1.5 mount with integral rings.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 12:29
That scope would do well with either the LaRue (detachable) or
the Badger Ultra High (fixed).   I'd think about the LaRue and possibly having an aimpoint in a detachable mount and being able to switch back and forth.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 12:37
Whcih stock are you running?

Welcome to Optics Talk.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
critter69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 22:12
The stock is an A2. The rra will be the varmint model.
critter69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 22:16
I looked at Larue but I want permenant rings. It is the varmint model.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 11:13
I've never known anyone to be disappiointed in their Badger rings, they are exceptional (and pricey.)

Seekins makes good stuff.

I know a "permanent mount" sounds good, but the Seekins 1.5 is an integral base and rings and is quite sturdy.  I mount "permanent" too and still prefer the LaRue, it is easier to transport the gun broken down, the scopes returns to zero when uninstalled and reinstalled (+/- 1/2MOA), and is very rigid, and the price ain't bad.

Badgers, Seekins, Warne, Nightforce, USO:  I've never been disappointed in any of these.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 11:39
A quote from Vern Harrison of central virgina tactical about Badger stuff.

Quote I don't care much for Badger rings. In the 33 years CVT has been in business it's the only rings I've seen break. Not just a couple sets either, allot. Plus they rust really bad. I keep my gear in top shape, like most folks but these rings and bases don't have a very good finish. IMHO

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=25130

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 16:21
Name a product, any product, and one can, if so inclined, find someone that hates it.  Vern's experience with Badger has been very different from mine - and very different from most owners/users.  Badger hasn't been adopted by many, many military and law enforcement users because they break allot or rust badly.

As with everything, mileage varies.

I've never seen a badger ring fail, I've never been with someone who said they've seen a badger ring fail, I've been brutal with some rifle/scopes and never had a problem, and I've never had one rust into a problem.

I can respect that Vern doesn't like Badgers without having the least bit of reluctance of hesitation in recommending Badger rings or bases.

Tool, there hass got to come a time when your experience is worth something and "instructors'" gospel truth as less meaning.

Listening to wise men is a good thing (only 2 ways to learn : experience and instruction) but there comes a time when you gotta stand on your own. 

Vern's Badger failure can be eclipsed with success stories of other users; one shouldn't summarily dismiss a great product because one guy doesn't like something.  I hate HP, got screwed by HP, and I don't buy HP, and I'll tell people why I hate and don't buy HP, but I don't presume that my experience is like everyone else's and I don't tell people their experience WILL be like mine.

In the end, Badger makes great rings, yea, I'm sure some have failed, but those are the exception, not the rule. 

Badger rings have a well-deserved reputation, and it ain't for failing and rusting.

Carry on.

If you don't like Badger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 16:37
hey, u said you had never known anyone, I showed you someone.  That's all, no need for your prove it to me lecture.  I have nothing against badger at all.  I had a set once and they worked fine.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 16:43
Open Forum boys. Critter all of the above reccomendations are excellent. Pick what fits you best and roll with it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 17:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

hey, u said you had never known anyone, I showed you someone.  That's all, no need for your prove it to me lecture.  I have nothing against badger at all.  I had a set once and they worked fine.

I don't know him.

Chris, message received and understood.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 12:00
if you like the tactical style ring, TPS rings are worth taking a look at.
critter69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 19:15
Thanks coyote, I think Iam going to try a set of these. I am not sure what height to get if any one knows please let me know. They will go on a rra varmint rifle with the flat top. The scope is a leupold 6.5-20x50mm target scope. It has a GG&G scout rail on it(1/2 inch) 30mm tube.I think the low will work but would like to know if any one on here knows for sure!!!Thanks again guys.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2009 at 20:07
I have a meopta meostar r-1 3x10x50 mounted with high rings on a RRA predator pursuit. works real well. rings are TPS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 15:00
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

if you like the tactical style ring, TPS rings are worth taking a look at.

I concur.

This may or may not work for you, but this is the setup that works well on my AR using a Weaver riser mount and medium TPS, 1" rings.

Some folks want an integrated mount, like the Larue, others prefer ultra high rings straight off the flat top, but I prefer this setup because I switch scopes around a LOT and can put this right back on my bolt gun's receiver, re zero, and go shoot with VERY little inconvenience.   

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 15:07
Here you go on coyote95's set up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 15:10
Nice rig!! Thunbs Up
critter69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 18:25
Tahqua, is that a 50mm bell on that scope? And if so what height rings?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 18:36
I believe they are highs on that 50mm Meostar. I will get my bro to confirm.

Edited by tahqua - June/14/2009 at 19:24
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic