OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SignatureSelect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SignatureSelect
    Posted: June/07/2009 at 09:53
What experiences have you had with This burris in 4-16x44. Tracking, glass, durability. Is the Black Diamond enough better to look at it instead?
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 10:33
Nice scope my honest opinion is that it compares to the the Leupold Vari X III in optics. I believe that the scope is still made in the U.S. by Burris.If I were to buy another scope my next choice is the Bushnell 6500 for the money. 
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 12:55
The Burris is not made in the US! and unless you need max MOA skip the 6500 and get a 4200 same glass. for a lot less.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 13:07
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

The Burris is not made in the US! and unless you need max MOA skip the 6500 and get a 4200 same glass. for a lot less.

Some Burris are not made in the US.  The Black Diamond and the XTRs still are made in the US.  I don't know about the Sig Sel, but I think they might still be made here.

I like the Black Diamond better because it has the side parallax adjustment instead of the adjustable objective.  That is just a personal preference.  The BD also is a 30mm tube instead of a 1" tube.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 13:11
To the best of my knowledge (which concerning Burris is admittedly limited) the Sig Sel, is made in the Phillipines. Along with the Pentax Lightseeker series. This might have changed recently though.
The BD and XTR as Helo pointed out are made here in the US, again this could have changed as well. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 13:29
I was looking on the sample list and found several SS Burris 4-16x44 scopes. I think the 4200 would be better if it just had some eye relief, I have 3 4200's for lighter kickers and think they are great! I just don't like to be cut on the brow anymore. With the bullet drop reticles you need to be on the highest power and the eye relief gets real close with my Wby. If the new Elites are holding up,  they have more eye relief.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 13:36
Afetr looking into it. The best I can surmise is that the Select is US made, that was from an article from 2007.

Cyborg
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 15:11
Loco

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 15:30
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

Loco

Hey want a be Hunter kiss my ass!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 15:42
Alright guys, let's ease up here. Hunter if you're looking to fight with people, do so in PM. We're better than this.   

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 15:44
Gentlemen, let's try to all get along.

To the best of my knowledge, Burris Signature Select, Black Diamond, Euro Diamond and XTR are assembled in US.  I am not sure aboutt he new SixX; I did not ask.  Other Burris scopes are made in the Phillipines, the best I can tell.   The glass for the US made Burris scopes comes from Japan.  It has been a year or two since I looked into this, but if that has changed I have not heard anything.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 15:58
Riflelooney that was very classy.I think you were trying to start by insulting me by saying that the Burris Signature was not made in the USA.Riflelooney you were out of line by saying that.

Loco

Hey want a be Hunter kiss my ass!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 16:02
Not trying to pick a fight.Even you see his motive by responding that I was wrong.UnrealLoco 
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Alright guys, let's ease up here. Hunter if you're looking to fight with people, do so in PM. We're better than this.   
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 16:02
Guys, which part of "let's get along" is so unclear?

Rifle looney and hunter12345, if you can not have a civilized argument, do not talk to each other.  Nothing could be easier: stop referencing each other's posts.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - June/07/2009 at 16:17
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 16:06
Agreed,But Riflelooney fired the first shot so you know how that goes.Excellent
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 16:12

Agreed,But Riflelooney fired the first shot so you know how that goes.Excellent

I have absolutely zero interest in who fired the first shot.  You have had arguments like this before and it never produced anything good for the forum.

I absolutely hate to overmoderate the forum, so if you see me stepping in, that means that I find all this ruckus troubling.

Let's abide by forum rules and stay out of mudslinging contests.

ILya
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 17:30
I really think the loco emotion needs to go away, nobody likes to be mocked. Even if we are wrong we all need to give the respect we feel we want in return.

Thanks for the replies, still don't know what to do about a scope. I hate to buy another trying to get the best for my money and not really like it!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 17:32
It is a good scope.  Black Diamond is a touch better, mainly due to larger W/E adjustment range.  Still, there is nothing especially wrong with Signature Select.

Personally, I prefer some of Burris' competitors, but most of competeing scopes in this price range are pretty good.

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 18:32
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

It is a good scope.  Black Diamond is a touch better, mainly due to larger W/E adjustment range.  Still, there is nothing especially wrong with Signature Select.

Personally, I prefer some of Burris' competitors, but most of competeing scopes in this price range are pretty good.

ILya

I don't know how much W/E the Sig Sel has, but I know that the Black Diamond has enough W/E that I can shoot easily out to 1000 yards and still have adjustment left in the scope.  That is with 0 MOA bases and rings.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 00:06
You could certainly do worse than the Sig Select. It is a very decent scope. If you are unsure what else may be out there. The bushnell 4200 6500, the Nikon Monarchs. Sightron Big Sky and SII. The Vortex Viper. These are all in close to the same price point, and all are about a match for one another. There are some that like one more so than the others for the way their eyes see thru a particular coating, or for the reticle differences, or for the rain guard feature. Unfortunately no one here can help you in those regards as it's more about taste and you know what you like best better than any of us do. Suffice it to say that given any one of these options you are getting a good piece of optical equipment for the money spent. 

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic