OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FNAR??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 17:03
FN has a booth at the National SWAT Championships.  The three day event is hosted by The United States Shooting Academy. There are 18 teams with 180 competitors from as far away as Europe taking part. It is open to the public and will wind up tomorrow. FN has quite a display in their booth they are really pushing their products and the FNAR. I am hoping to be able to go back tomorrow. I stopped today for a short time to watch some of the building clearing drills. I even wore my SWFA CAP.  The heat is making it tough because a lot of the completions rely heavy on physical endurance. They are putting on quite a show. Next year I will try to find out earler so maybe some of the OT can visit. It would be a good show for Chris and SWFA to be at too.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 17:16
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I even wore my SWFA CAP.  

Way to represent, Bro!  Thunbs Up 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 19:41
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

The M1a is cool but it in the standard configuration it is not as accurate as the new gas guns. It also is very particular about what ammo you use. Use too heavy a bullet and you bend the op rod.  Horniday reloading manual has Service Rifle .308 loading info which is reduced loads from other .308 loads.  Then try to keep track of which of your reloads is loaded down for the M1a.  It also is critical that you use the primer pocket uniformer tool on the brass.  Soft primers and out of spec primer pockets can cause issues with double firing if the trigger is too light.  Beware of who you have do any work on the rifle especially the trigger.  These guns can be made to shoot very well but it is quite expensive and takes people who know what they are doing like GA Precision or Smith Enterprises.

I longed for an MIa for a long time, and came real close to getting one, but all these issues, (and a few more), weighed too heavily against it.
 I think there are better .308 battle-rifle platforms out there now, I am beginning to search for which is the best.
 My personal criteria, of admittedly limited and highly questionable experience, is shaping up like this so far:

.308 Winchester (Or 7.62x51mm NATO) chambering. Also would consider 6.8 SPC.
 (Adjustable) Gas-piston operation, NOT direct-impingement. Operating gasses to vent at least a foot from shooter's face, and in a forward or upward direction.
 Semi-auto only.
 Reciprocating charging handle
 No forward-assist stupidity, other than the bolt-mounted, reciprocating charging handle.
 M1- type magazines okay, but I would actually prefer Garand-style en-bloc clips!
 (Yes, really!) OKAY, I know that's not going to happen..
 20-inch medium barrel, fluted is fine. 22-inch fine.
 Preferably free-floated.
 One-piece stock would be preferable, but not necessary.
 Chrome-lined barrel of Bushmaster quality. 1-10 Twist rate or slightly faster.
 A thumb safety, ala the 500 Mossberg shotgun would be too good of an idea to ever see production. But not on a pistol-grip-type firearm., as Dale notes on p.3. 
 Tool-free takedown and dissassembly.
 Picatinny railed reciever
 Stock adjustable for L.O.P and comb height.
 Compatable to 1907 sling or similar

(Such a rifle does not exist (yet!) in any form of which I am aware.)

These are somewhat random and probably disconnected thoughts, but I'd be interested in what any of you guys would add or subtract from those criteria and why.

I'd also be interested to hear what some of you would think would come the closest to meeting those criteria of current or even of obsolete firearms.

I think a good deal of it may be relevant to this interesting thread!

Edited to add the red stuff...

Edited by RONK - June/21/2009 at 17:41
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 17:34
My buddy with the technical expertise couldn't make it so my Nephew and I dumped about twenty 30 round magazines down range without doing so in a carefully considered manner!

We didn't shoot the FNAR, we shot the 5.56 M4 and the 22lr M4.

Great fun.

Edited by Ick - June/20/2009 at 17:35
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2009 at 19:42
don't think you want a mossberg top safety on a pistol grip, they are almost impossible to reach, test out the mossberg -- mostly the gun (ronk) describes is an FN or DSA variant. If the Masadas ever get going they will be close. If you allow other calibers the Robinson XCR also comes close.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 17:29
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

don't think you want a mossberg top safety on a pistol grip, they are almost impossible to reach, test out the mossberg -- mostly the gun (ronk) describes is an FN or DSA variant. If the Masadas ever get going they will be close. If you allow other calibers the Robinson XCR also comes close.

Yeah, the thumb safety idea would not be much of an advantage if coupled with an AR-style pistol-grip.
 But I don't really care for a pistol-grip in and of itself; I actually prefer an M1-type stock style for handling and carrying purposes for the most part. 
 I haven't used an XCR, sounds interesting, but I worry that the company isn't going to last for parts availability in the future; (Rumors-nothing firsthand...) ??? .
 How do DSA rifles handle scope mounting?
Also how about the Sig 556-series; do they make a .308 version and does anybody here have one of any caliber?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 20:08
the sigs gas system is almost identical to the xcr, and only has 2 adjustments whereas the robinson has 6. no 308 yet, the robinson's now uses a Voltor collasible which is folding and beats the sig in every way. the sigs I shot had triggers with a lot to be desired, and personally I do not like the way the finger cocker comes out of the bolt, (like an 1100). After 6000 rds and completely trashing the locking lugs on the robinson, I took it to them personally, and had the gun back in 7 days. with a new bolt. I do not believe any rumours about parts shortage.
fn and variants (dsa) biggest downfall is the sight-bore line problem which is too low, so the best scopes for use are lower power, small bell jobs, variable if you wish, just get a really good dust cover/scope mt. dsa's is the best, I use an ior 4x with 308 elevation dial calibrated for military surplus , 147 gr, (although I use 150 gr sierra spbt). and the cqb reticle, horseshoe is 8 inchs (head size) at 100 yds. and 500 yd. 8x11" steel plates work, but its not a tactical rifle, ------ but if you want to shoot 100 rds of 308, at a rate that will make a bolt fall apart, (first of all the bolt can't) do it and still have 1-1.5 moa at 100 yds, with smoking oil comingof the barrel they are a good way to go.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 20:09

forgot to add that both the sig and the xcr use a bolt carrier and extractor that is identical to the ak-47 set ups, and one that beats them all.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2009 at 21:45

Thanks for the info, Dale!

Any opinion on the HK G3 , while I've got your attention? It's been awhile since I've seen one, about all I remember is the left-side charging handle, and the stamped steel construction. I imagine there are tons of variants, including the PSG1, I believe? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic