OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FNAR??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FNAR??
    Posted: June/06/2009 at 17:28
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022&mid=FNM0137

Just got done fondling this thing at Gander Mountain a little bit ago.
Anybody shot one, owned one, know about one?

Dale Clifford prolly gots 3 or 4 of them....Wink

Looks kinda interesting and handled much better than I thought it would after seeing pics of it on the "intra-web".
Ergonomically, it sort of reminded me of a Benelli M4.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 17:37
It should be a good rifle. My only point of hesitation would be how accessable are the magazines. One would think that they would have used FN-FAL magazines but they didnt.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:04
I've lusted over the same gun at my local Gander Mountain.   I'm with you Wes, on mags and other goodies for it.   

I think Ick owns one...you might wanna pick his brain.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

It should be a good rifle. My only point of hesitation would be how accessable are the magazines. One would think that they would have used FN-FAL magazines but they didnt.
Good point, Wes. Got to use it's own magazines.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:09
CMMG is selling 20 round FNAR mags for...(gulp)...$49.95........Whistling
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:19
Most .308 mags new from the rifle manufacturer sell for about that.  Springfield Armory, DPMS etc. and that is if you can find them, I paid that much for some old surplus m14 mags for an M1a during the last hi cap ban.   If they work well its worth the cost after all a half dozen of them is quite a bit of firepower and to put $300 in mags with a $1000+  rifle is not that outrageous.  Want high priced mags buy some Accuracy International mags.

P.S.  When you order mags from CMMG they charge your card then it takes them about 4 months or so to build the mags but they do eventually shiip them.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/06/2009 at 18:29

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:23

Yeah, but I'd rather have a M1A than this FN deal, at least for now. The M1A has way more cool factor, if you ask me.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:33
M1A,M1A.M1A,M1A all the way  Big Grin
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 18:36
The M1a is cool but it in the standard configuration it is not as accurate as the new gas guns. It also is very particular about what ammo you use. Use too heavy a bullet and you bend the op rod.  Horniday reloading manual has Service Rifle .308 loading info which is reduced loads from other .308 loads.  Then try to keep track of which of your reloads is loaded down for the M1a.  It also is critical that you use the primer pocket uniformer tool on the brass.  Soft primers and out of spec primer pockets can cause issues with double firing if the trigger is too light.  Beware of who you have do any work on the rifle especially the trigger.  These guns can be made to shoot very well but it is quite expensive and takes people who know what they are doing like GA Precision or Smith Enterprises.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 19:30
Look at this rifle very closely- can you see the outline of the Winchester XCR rifle in there? I looked at the Winchester version at the Mobile,Al gunshow this morning. Very nice looking and handling rifle. Beautiful wood too.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 20:07
shot a 300 win and a 308, they shoot and act just like a Browning BAR, (same gas action), personally the grip angle was to low for me. ie. the trigger group doesn't come down lower in the action as in an AR10. also the bolt release is cheesy. Sako trg mags. run $250 each.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 07:10

Thanks, Dale. I had a feeling you'd fooled around with one.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 07:12
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Look at this rifle very closely- can you see the outline of the Winchester XCR rifle in there? I looked at the Winchester version at the Mobile,Al gunshow this morning. Very nice looking and handling rifle. Beautiful wood too.

I haven't seen that rifle either. I'll look it up. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 07:20
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 09:57
That's it.
Deckard1973 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deckard1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 11:19
CheapTrick,
Howdy!
Just bought a FNAR-H about two weeks ago. She is heavy! I swear they took a MG240G barrel, fluted it, put a target crown on it and fitted it to the receiver! I had to wait a week for new rings to mount a USS Xotic 56x4-16 scope on it. Fitted a Harris bi-pod. Shot about 60rds of Black Hills 168s, Federal 168s, and Horandy 168 TAPs. All fed with no worries. First shot at 25yrds to get on paper, then took it out to 100yds. Adjusted the scope a few clicks and was ON! 1-MOA if I do my part. Gong to work up some hand loads and see if I can get one ragged holes. Trigger was about 4-5lbs with a little creep just before the hammer falls. After shooting took it home to clean it. ONLY the gas plug had any carbon on it! The rest of the gas system was clean. As others noted, the mags are going for (at my local gun shop, they had 6 on hand) for $55+tax. There are a number of them on Gunbroker too.
Puts a Sh!t-eating grin on my face!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:39
Thank you for your commentary, Sir. It was a cool looking rig for sure!
Evil Black Rifle
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:43
I know it's not the same, but since the M1a has been brought up; I really have the hots for one of the AR-10 variants. I just can't decide which manufacturer, since they all have different features or magazines...... Just thought I'd mention it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 14:53
It is just a modified browning BAR as is the Winchester version of the hunting rifle.  Ick has one and talks about it quite often.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2009 at 15:16
I am actually going to a range with a buddy of mine tomorrow.  He knows a lot more about rifles than I do.  He hasn't shot it yet.  I am interested to see what he has to say about it.

He is a much better shot.  Perhaps his groupings will be a bit tighter.....

2o rounds at 100 meters.  I count 19 hits.... not all on the paper, lol.

Edited by Ick - June/19/2009 at 15:17
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic