OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting for plainsgame Jun 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting for plainsgame Jun 2009
    Posted: June/05/2009 at 05:11
My usual hunting buddy and I left this past Sunday for a hunt about 600km north of Cape Town. This places us near Beaufort West in the heart of the Karoo. The Karoo is semi arid country covered with karoo bush, grass and thorn tree thickets along the mostly dry river beds.
The day was cold with a lot of wind, which made our frequent coffee stops rather unpleasant.

As we approached the farm our level of anticipation was heightened by the game we saw. At one stage we stopped and watched a kudu cow and young bull sunning themselves on the warmer west slope a mere 80yds away from us.

On our arrival we were shown our rooms. The farm house was a really nice and well furnished. Our rooms were very comfortable.

We waited around a big fire for the other hunters to arrive. We ended up as a party of 10. That night we had a great braai of kudu steaks, sausage and kudu steaks.

The next day the morning broke clear and calm. Not a breath of wind. And that is how the day remained.

First we all checked the zero's on our rifles and those that needed to made adjustments. Then it was off to hunt. All the species available was plains game, meaning that they do not hide in the bush but graze out in the open in herds.
Available was gemsbuck, rooi hartebeest, blue wildebeest and springbuck. I decided to hunt one large animal and 8 springbuck. For this purpose I became a two gun hunter, something I never do. I took along my Sako 300 H&H with 200 gr SGK and my newly aquired Rem VSF 308 loaded with 155gr PMP Palma.
We were each given a place to hide away. My spot was nice rocky outcrop. The gameplan was that with 10 of us placed in strategic positions within a 2640 acre camp we had things pretty much covered. We then had some farm hands slowly stirring the game about. When they come within your designated fire arc you do what needed to be done.
I stuck to my plan of taking only headshots, using the 300 H&H for the red hartebeest and the VSF for the springbuck.

At the end of the day I managed to take the red hartebeest at 180 yds with a clean headshot. I also took 4 springbuck at ranges from 220 yds down to 120 yds. The 308 operated as I had hoped. I shot with precision, taking only headshots. However, having a telescope with a parallax focus is not ideal for hunting. From the pics you will see how close the game came after I had filled my quota!

During the course of the day 30 springbuck, two gemsbuck, one red hartebeest and one blue wildebeest was taken. Yes, not two many for the number of hunters. It sounds easy but the game move all the time and opportunities for shots are few.

That evenening we had another roaring fire and enjoyed a stew of beef neck.

The following day the remainder of the hunters who did not bag their quota went back for two blue wildebeest and two gemsbuck. They used a combination of walk and stalk and ambush hunting.
The rest of us went to a different camp for springbuck only, but we were not very successful due to a combinatiom of factors. The weather had turned a bit nasty, as well as most of the hunting was focused on the guys who had not yet shot anything. I managed to bag another springbuck, whilst the other hunters got their wildebeest and gemsbuck, as well as another 4 springbuck.

That evening my friend and I had to do supper. We did potato in oil, and inch thick T-bone steaks.

We left the next morning, loaded with enough venison for a year!

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 06:43

That is awesome 8's. It looks and sounded like you had a great trip and Thanks for sharing it with us. I do need to come over there and hunt a few of ya'lls common animals.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 07:24
   Excellent  THANKS 8!   I gained 10lbs just reading it.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 07:40
That is cool, thanks for sharing Wouter!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 07:41
Love your stories 8shots, keep them coming.  Congrats on a great hunt.
God save the Empire!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 08:27
Nice.  Sounds like you had a great trip.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 09:03
So, what did the rest of the bunch use to hunt with?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 11:17
Nice 8! Looks like a good trip. Thanks for the pics and story
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 11:59
We need to hang out, bro; especially on a hunting trip, in Africa, with whiskey.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 20:44
Very nice 8shots!  Some day I would love to get down to hunt Africa.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 06:19
Terrific photos and story, 8shots.  What a country!!! 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
dgp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 20:20
One day I will be there to hunt those critters.

Thanks for the pics.
it ani't over till the fat lady sings
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 11:01
8's, do you normally try for the head shots?  180yds at the head is some fine shooting, but I personally don't think I could held steady enough for that.  If it is a clean hit, I know tracking is much easier.  Didn't know if you used this approach all the time or if it was a case by case basis.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 17:06
 So Wouter enjoys another big adventure!

Ok, I'm a little bit jealous...
 Thanks for sharing it with us, though.
 Great photos, and I always enjoy hearing about the FOOD.
 THAT is a huge factor in what makes or breaks a lot of hunts, as you well know...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 04:24
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

8's, do you normally try for the head shots?  180yds at the head is some fine shooting, but I personally don't think I could held steady enough for that.  If it is a clean hit, I know tracking is much easier.  Didn't know if you used this approach all the time or if it was a case by case basis.

A lot depends on the shot presented by the animal and my position. If the animal, as in this case, is standing still and I have a dead rest (as was the case), I do try for the fancy shot. It is risky, but I have put in a lot of practise and I am pretty confident of my shooting if I may say so.(on paper anyway!)
I think that if a trophy animal presented itself  I would want to be doubly sure and I would irrespective of all aspects go for the heart/lung shot.

If the shot is a bit more difficult in that the animal is moving, or my own position is a bit less steady, I would go for the heart/lung shot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 06:38
A few years ago, I had the chance to go to Colorado, on a bison hunt. I tried a head shot(oooppps) but quickly fixed it with a follow up in the vitals. Luckily she didn't take off, as matter of fact she only took about 3 steps and then turned broad side to me.(lucky I guess)
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2009 at 17:17
That just makes me sick. I can't get time to hunt for my boots much less go hunting.
Congratulations.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic