OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

some spotter suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4x4man514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some spotter suggestions?
    Posted: June/04/2009 at 17:57
hey guys, new guy here! lol! i know very little about spotters and there seems to be a ton of info on here so i wanted to see what kind of suggestions you all may have. i need a spotting scope to see bullet holes at 3-400 yds and my other use would be to glass the bachelor groups of bucks at my hunt club in the bean fields. (maybe as far as 7-800yds). i was planning on spending about $300. but if that just wont do it then yall tell me what you think i need. id rather spend more for something nice than less for a pos.

thanks

oh and im also in the market for some binocs and a rangefinder if you have any advice for these.

thanks, kevin.
thanks, Kevin
4x4man514 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4x4man514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 04:09
nobody?
thanks, Kevin
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 08:51
In that price range, it's a tough call, bullet holes will be no problem for a decent scope (assuming you have good vision and aren't shooting a .22 cal bullet.

Someone will respond with particulars, but be advised, weekends are slow, it might not be till Monday.

I'll look around for what is being recommended for that price range and post something later.

And welcome to Optics Talk.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2009 at 11:32
As allways, when looking for good optics for not so many dollars I will recomend second hand. Kowas especially can be found around that price sometime and they are really good. Nikons and Bushnells as well. A bushnell legend will do just fine.

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 20:03
Buying second hand can definitely net some real bargains.

The only thing to be aware/careful about is with the available warranty service.  Very often, second hand, refurbished, and demo optics will offer only very limited warranties, if any at all. 

This isn't always the case and even when it is, it's not necessarily an absolute deal breaker.  You just need to make sure you know exactly what you are (and are not) purchasing when you make such decisions.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
4x4man514 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4x4man514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 22:15
thanks yall, im not above buying used merchandise but i still dont know what to get. so far ive heard kowas, nikons and bushnells. so where is a good used source? and is there any part. model that everyone favors?

i understand you get what u pay for. esp with optics. i like to go top notch but my budget obviously wont let me. and no more than i would use a spotting scope im trying to not get carried away. BUT if i buy a $300 spotting scope and it wont do what i need it to do then thats $300 down the tube.
thanks, Kevin
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 11:16
the sponsors of this site have a great site, samplelist.com
check it out--great prices on used, refurbished, returned, and traded gear!
the same sponsors have swfa.com for the new products they sell (which is almost everything!).
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2009 at 16:46
The voretx Nomad might be an option.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2009 at 09:29
What do you guys know about the Kowa Prominar TSN 664?  I'm having trouble finding many reviews on this glass, and am not able to look through one before I buy.  Thanks.
300Reloader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300Reloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 14:24

Don't know if you bought a spotter yet but look up the Winter 2008 scope review at livingbird.org.  Extensive scope test and rating of all types of scope and full spectrum of price.

Department of Ornithology at Cornell University conducted the scope review and this could help in your search.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2009 at 15:42
I too have been researching spotting scopes, and while I don't have a specific recommendation, I have been hearing good things about Konus, and Vortex spotters in your price range from some high power shooters.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 22:51
unfortunately the Scope Quest 2008, didnt include the Kowa 664, and the Leica Televid 77 / APO, so for what their results gave the best 66mm class is the Swaro HD....

And  I'd like know where to place the kowa 664 and leica against zeiss, swaro, nikon and the rest......

Hope the Scope Quest 2009 wil be soon

Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2009 at 22:53
Hey Chris why havent anybody made any good reviews and comparisons of optics in you tube.....

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2009 at 16:23
Vortex and Bushnell offer some pretty decent scopes in the $300.00 range. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300Reloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 09:56
Compared the Kowa 663 and Swaro 65 ATM and along with 2 other friends ran the two side by side for almost an hour.  Overall weight was 2.8 lbs for the Kowa and 3 lbs for the Swaro.  The retailer where we were had the Swaro at $2,500 and the Kowa at $1,400.  The Swaro had a 20 X 50 eyepiece while the Kowa had a 20 X 60.  Both performed great in the conditions, mostly cloudy day at noon in Houston with heat waves.  We looked at objects near and far and the bottom line is we all gave the Swaro a slight edge.  However, it is not enough of an edge to spend $1,100 more.  The retailer stated that you basically get 95% plus of the Swaro for $1,100 less and he sells more Kowas.

If buying new we all felt go with the Kowa but if you find a good used 65 A or STM for $1,500-$1,600 buy it.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 14:37
Thanks 300. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2009 at 22:01
Welcome, 300reloader!  Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like good advice!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2009 at 13:33
Thanks for the good advice 300 reloader, very helpful......    Just one thing, did you compared the swaro HD vs the Kowa TSN or the Standar swaro lens vs the kowa TSN ?

Thanks again
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300Reloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2009 at 22:31
It was the HD for the Swaro and ED for the Kowa. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic