OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What spotter to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What spotter to buy?
    Posted: June/04/2009 at 12:42
I need an angled spotter that is capable of seeing 30-06 holes in a military target at 200 yards.  I was very disappointed in the Konuspot-80 that I bought.  I'd like to spend around $400.  Any suggestions?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 14:55
Bushnell Legend 20-60x80, Alpen 788, and Celestron also makes a 20-60x80, that should fit your needs, and all are about $400. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 15:43
leupold sequia would be a good option. comes in both a 15-45x60 or 20-60x80 in both straight or angled. And you can get them in a kit as well.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 19:58
Both previous sugestions are very good. Leupold especially is a lot of scope for the money.
If I were you, I would however look into buying a used scope. You can get really good bargains on a lot of brands such as Nikon, Kowa, Bueshnell, Leupold, Pentax, Burris Landmark etc. Bare in mind that used scopes are almost allways in good condition due to the care that most owners have taken of them.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 23:01
Leupold Golden Ring spotting scopes are wonderful.

Leupold Green Ring "Sequoias" are worthless. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 23:31
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Leupold Green Ring "Sequoias" are worthless. 

+1 My first spotting scope was a Sequoia and knowing what I know now it was just a waste of money.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 12:26
Well, if we are to suggest something for the price described above, I guess that such alternatives as Golden Ring don't work, do they?
I think Sequoia is a very good scope for the buck!
Would I want to have it? No, because it is miles away from the one I have and need but it doesn't cost €2800 either.

I would definitely not say that it is worthless. For the need described above it will work perfectly.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 20:32
I suppose to each his own. 

Don't get me wrong; I'm a big Leupold fan.  I own quite a few optics from them.  Their Green Ring spotters however, leave A LOT to be desired. 

For the quoted sub-$400 budget a person would be much better off with the likes of:

• Leupold Golden Ring 15-30x50 (I own this one - it's fantastic)
  • Leupold Golden Ring 10-20x40 (I owned this one - it's far better than most give it credit)
            Both of these disprove your notion about not being able to choose a Golden Ring product.  Then there is the:
  • Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 (I've owned one of these.  It's pretty dang good. It is only hampered a bit by short eye relief.)
  • Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60
  • Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 12-36x50
  • Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20-60x80
  • Vortex Nomad 20-60x60
  • Vortex Impact 25-75x70 (Owned this one too.  It's nice, just couldn't warm up to the angled eyepiece)
  • Stokes Sandpiper 15-45x65
  • Minox MD W 16-30x50
  • Nikon Promaster 16-48x65 (I don't even like this scope, but I'd take one over the GR Leupold any day.)

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are superior to the Leupold Green Ring.  I'm sure if I gave it some more thought, I could come up with bunches more.

Edited by lucznik - June/05/2009 at 20:35
azshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:22
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

• Vortex Impact 25-75x70 (Owned this one too.  It's nice, just couldn't warm up to the angled eyepiece)

did you try this scope out to 500 yards?  I need to see 30 cal holes up to 500yrds.  I am interested in the Burris XTS-2575 which I beleive is the same.  Thanks

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 19:21

Optics for me are hunting implements, not target shooting implements.  I shoot at a range only about 3, maybe 4 times a year.  This is primarily done to make sure my sights are where then need to be.  Other than that, pretty much all of my shooting is done in the field. 

The point of explaining that is to say that I have never evaluated scopes in terms of seeing x-caliber of bullet at y-distance. 

The Vortex Impact and similar scopes are good scopes with a lot to offer, though some unique challenges as well.  Search through this spotting scope subforum and you should be able to find the rather lengthy review of the Impact I wrote up some time ago. It should give you a place to start.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 20:09
Well since you said "around $400" I can be forgiven for pushing the price up $50 for the Vortex Skyline 20-60X80 - http://swfa.com/Vortex-20-60x80-Skyline-Spotting-Scope-P10874.aspx
Reaction time is a factor...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 09:02
I have owned the Vortex Nomad, Bushy Elite 20-60x70, Leupold GR 15-30x50, and Green Ring 15-45.  I would not recommend the Green Ring.  I like the Bushy Elite a lot, but as mentioned, short eye relief can be bothersome. 

I have been looking for a back-up spotter in this price range and really like the Bushy Excursion ED.  Take a hard look at it ... I am.
-Matt
Grab View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 10:25
Thanks for the replies.  I bit the bullet and bought a Kowa.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 14:01
Originally posted by Grab Grab wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I bit the bullet and bought a Kowa.
 Which Kowa did you buy and please tell us how you like it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic