OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

like to hear an opinion or two

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jime444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: like to hear an opinion or two
    Posted: June/02/2009 at 23:41

I have two rifles that I'm interested in putting glass on.  First is a varmint AR .223, Kreiger match barrel, 26 in for varmint primary, tactical secondary.  Good shooter <0.5 MOA using heavy bullets out to 600yds or so.

The other is a .260 Rem, 700 Rem custom bolt gun, Hart barrel, tactical/match stock.  I've shot several sub 0.5 MOA groups (even out at 1000; that is with great wind conditions).
Primarily tactical, but would mind taking a shot at a coyote or two at long range (6-800 yds?).

I believe I'd like mil-dot, target knobs (probably modify with kentons) and variable scope, if possible. Picatinny 20moa slope base?

Scope choices, bases and rings input would be fantastic.  Thanks in advance.
JimBob
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 23:52
So long as you have plenty of money to spend we can suggest some scopes that will knock your socks off.  Since you did not specify a price I will start with the pick of the litter and you suggest a price range if you are not comfortable with going first class.
3302929001 Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight                                                                   Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
SWFA: $3,462.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jime444 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jime444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 09:00
Ah yes, price.  I'd like to spend $400-700 per scope, according for rings and bases
JimBob
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 09:21
Why put that kinda money into a precision rifle, then top it with something that limits what you can do?

Since you've already shot such great groups, <0.5MOA at 1,000 yards with the 700 and <0.5MOA at 600 yards with the AR; screw buying a new scope, whatever is on it now, leave it!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 11:40
800362 New Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical Rifle Scope                                                                                 New Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $649.95
More Info... Buy Now
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now

SS10X42M SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $419.95
More Info... Buy Now

SS16X42 SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now

SS20X42 SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $279.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jime444 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jime444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 13:41
I appreciate the feedback.  Currently, using a older Unertl scope, 24x dot; beautiful scope, just not for what I want to accomplish.

Rings/bases?
JimBob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 13:50
Badger Ordinance for the 700, I prefer LaRue for ARs but GG&G makes good stuff too, as do a few others.

If both are shooting <0.5MOA out to very long ranges, I don't understand why you'd change a thing!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 15:14
I sortta agree with RC; to have such accurate and custom rifles, it seems like a waist to handicap them with glass that doesn't meet the same standard.
That said, might I suggest a Zeiss Conquest in either 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50, both can be had with mildot reticles, but may be a 100 or 2 above your price, but it's good glass. You may also want to look at the new Burris tactical scopes or Nikon's Tactical or even the Monarch line.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:26
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Why put that kinda money into a precision rifle, then top it with something that limits what you can do?

this
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
jime444 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jime444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 14:14
 I also know that there is a dimisnishing return on scope quality, clarity, accuracy and repeatability.  That is, after a point, every dollar you sepnd buys you less and less differance.  What I'm trying to find is the "knee of the curve" where a lot of extra $'s buys you some improvement; but from the good shooter it is basically undiscernable.

Is that point a $1000 Conquest, Monarch X, Leu Mark 4 or is it a $700 Sightron, Bus 4200/6500, etc?

More data on rings/bases, please.

Thanks.
JimBob
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 15:39
You may want to look at some of these offerings
several brands and some mounts available
Duce Smile
Duce
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 16:56
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Zeiss Conquest in either 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50, both can be had with mildot reticles

During my search several months back, one thing I found was (most, and perhaps all) 1" scopes don't have a lot a great deal of internal adjustment in comparision to the 30mm tubes. 

A Zeiss Conguest 6.5-20x50 has roughly 44 MOA (give or take a couple) of internal adjustment and depending on the caliber & how far you're shooting it may be something to consider (I'm not very familiar with how flat a 260 Remington really shoots).  Sure, there are 20 MOA bases and Burris scope rings with offsets that will do the same that can be used  but the trade off is, you may be giving up some of the ability to use the scope up close.

I needed internal adjustment (308) so I went with a Leupold 8.5-25x50 VX3.  I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 and its a sweet scope and one thing I really like about it is I can zoom from 4.5 all the way to 14 and the eye relief is constant Big Smile.  The Leupold is very close as well but up around 18x a slight eye relief adjustment is needed. 

Clarity, although the color is a tad different between the two, is pretty much the same for my eyes.  But, the Leupold gives me plenty of MOA (more than I will ever need for a 308) from 100 all the way to 1000 yards. 

HTH
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 22:38
Originally posted by jime444 jime444 wrote:

I also know that there is a dimisnishing return on scope quality, clarity, accuracy and repeatability.

More data on rings/bases, please.

Thanks.

I think the same concept could be applied concerning a custom rifle. 

As far as scopes are concerned I used to use Leopold's but after using a Nightforce I would never go back. But they are 2x more than your max dollar amount without rings. 

As far as rings go I have never been let down with Warne. They are not a pretty as others but they are certainly functional.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 23:15
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

As far as scopes are concerned I used to use Leopold's but after using a Nightforce I would never go back. But they are 2x more than your max dollar amount without rings. 

nail right on the freakin head. leupolds prices are going up (into NF territory) and quality is steadily going down. not that they have EVER compared to a nightforce, but they certainly do now, and its a no brainer. you cant get more scope for your money than you can with a NF. show me another company that offers that quality, and that reliability, with MIL/MIL, or MOA/MOA options, the option of zero stop, and GREAT glass, for that price. sure you can spend more and get a S&B that will feel a little more refined and will have a little better glass (the F1 glass compares to S&B though), but other than that there is nothing else that compares.

if only SWFA carried them. with all of the NF talk all over this forum you would think somebody would get on the ball.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 20:56
10x42 SS definately.....and enough adj. for .308 @ 1200Y
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
jime444 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jime444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 14:42
Big Smile
I just bought a SS 10X, side focus and used for the AR.  Looking forward to seeing it later this week.

Still looking at glass for the 260 Rem; lots of great choices out there.  Looking hard at the NXS, Conquest, Nikon tactical, Leu Mark 4's.  It's a little longer range so am looking at the 4-16x range variables.  Good choices?

Any more info on rings and bases, men?

Thanks.
JimBob
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 16:46
TR232G New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                        New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $1,019.95
More Info... Buy Now

TR232 Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                            Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Amber Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade
More Info... Buy Now
On the down side these only have 50 moa of internal adjustment so a plus 20moa base is a good idea and a plus 30 moa base is too much.  As  for the NXS I dont like that the whole back end of it turns since I like butler creek flip ups. I also really expected the glass to be better than the one I looked through and thought it really wasnt up to what I had expected so look first before you leap.  NXS is known for ultra reliable adjustments and lots of internal adjustment.  As for Nikon
8414 Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch X 30mm Riflescope                                                                                 Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch X 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $999.95
More Info... Buy Now
This should be a nice scope but I think it does not have much internal adjustment 50moa
Leupold Mk4's I have two of these a 3.5-10 FFP Thunbs Up and a 8.5-25x50 illuminated which is more power on the low end than I would like so I would recomend a lower power range.
Leupold is quite reliable but the glass is middle of the road and the price is strong but the service is quite good.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Leupold but I really like the Trijicon 5-20x50 with its illuminated reticle and I think either the green or amber mil dot would be the way to go unless it was a combat optic then one of the post reticles would be preferable.

Badger Ordnance Rings and Bases.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/08/2009 at 16:47

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:09
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

TR232G New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                        New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
More Info... Buy Now

TR232 Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                            Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Amber Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade
More Info... Buy Now
On the down side these only have 50 moa of internal adjustment so a plus 20moa base is a good idea and a plus 30 moa base is too much.  As  for the NXS I dont like that the whole back end of it turns since I like butler creek flip ups. I also really expected the glass to be better than the one I looked through and thought it really wasnt up to what I had expected so look first before you leap.  NXS is known for ultra reliable adjustments and lots of internal adjustment.  As for Nikon
8414 Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch X 30mm Riflescope                                                                                 Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch X 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $999.95
More Info... Buy Now
This should be a nice scope but I think it does not have much internal adjustment 50moa
Leupold Mk4's I have two of these a 3.5-10 FFP Thunbs Up and a 8.5-25x50 illuminated which is more power on the low end than I would like so I would recomend a lower power range.
Leupold is quite reliable but the glass is middle of the road and the price is strong but the service is quite good.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Leupold but I really like the Trijicon 5-20x50 with its illuminated reticle and I think either the green or amber mil dot would be the way to go unless it was a combat optic then one of the post reticles would be preferable.

Badger Ordnance Rings and Bases.

do you actually have any experience with any of these scopes? i see you posting up all the time recommending people scopes which half the time IMO doesnt even fit their bill. how can you recommend somebody a product if you have no experience to form an opinion around? the two trijicon's you've posted up here are very new to the market (not even sure they're in stock yet) and ive not even heard of any feedback with them so its far from a proven scope, and your recommending it to the guy.

and the trijicon doesnt have a illuminated reticle they use fiber optic and tritium.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:24
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

and the trijicon doesnt have a illuminated reticle they use fiber optic and tritium.

...to illuminate the reticle.

???
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:29
Of those listed, I would avoid the Leupold and lean much more toward the NXS, but that's just me.

Rings:
Badger
Seekins
Nightforce
US Optics

in that order.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic