OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for .338 Lapua????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for .338 Lapua????
    Posted: June/02/2009 at 21:58
Hey guys......just wondering if you guys could give me ideas on what power scope would be ideal for 1500 yard target shooting...looking at Nightforce, unertl, Leu, and even possibly the ss 20x if strong enough, its definately the cheepest, looking to spend about $1500...Thanks
pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 23:14
The problem of having a fixed power scope is dealing with mirage. While increased magnification brings the target closer, it also intensifies the mirage.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 23:59
I think you might like the 16x Super Sniper.  The down side with a fixed power scope is you can not dial it down to a lower power to gather more light as the sun goes down.  Other than that within the next few months there will be a 3-9 variable power Super Sniper which will be a nice reasonable priced addition.  If however this is a rife that someones life depends on I think a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce NP-1R would be a good choice and a U.S. Optics scope would be even better. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16044

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/03/2009 at 00:00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 08:14
Thanks guys......so you would say stick with a 16x-20x, nothing stronger??
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 08:30
Many put 5-25s on .338s. Personally, I am not a fan of anything over 20X, too much mirage (at least in the Texas heat), too much image movement.

I wouldn't put a fixed-power on it.

Due to the recoil and the ranges you want to shoot, I'd consider Nightforce or USU or the like.  Also, be aware of the dope needed to get to 1500, I'd recommend something with a zero stop or an EREK-type elevation turret; on a shot that far, it is simpler than you think to get lost going up or coming down from that adjustment.

As Ufriend said, I've got a really nice USO 3-17 for sale here, it would do well on that gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 19:07
I just got done using a 3x9 variable for some 1200 yard coffee can shots this past Sunday.
Don't get caught up in magnification.
And yes, a Super Sniper would  hold up nicely...I was using one this weekend on the 338.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 19:20
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:17
And very soon there will be a 3-9x42 Super Sniper.  It'll hold up, but will be, in my opinion, not quite enough magnification for long-range work.

To each, his own.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:22

i have a S&B PMII 4-16X50 on my TRG42 338 lapua that i have shot out to 2100 yards and never wanted any more magnification.

i would not get a fixed power scope for shooting that distance, you will want to use max magnification when you can, but on a hot day the mirage will kill you if your stuck with a 16X, or 20X optic. and IMO the glass in the SS is not good enough for a 16X+ optic, i had one and my eye fatigued very quickly. the SS10X42 is fine, but the 16, and 20 leave alot to be desired in the glass.

leupold would be out of my considerations too, their quality it rapidly decreasing, while their prices are rapidly increasing. notice they dont stamp made in USA all over their scope anymore, and thats because alot of the parts are made in china... yes china, the sh*t of the optics world. then their quality control here in the states suck. they allow their reticles to be +/- 3 degrees out of cant, and many are out more than that. 1 degree is un acceptable.

if premier can get all the kinks out then its a good choice, but other than that NF or S&B is the only answer for me right now.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 01:59
Rancids  U.S. Optics Sn3 would be the one I would want unless I had enough money for a Henisoldt.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 12:08
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Rancids  U.S. Optics Sn3 would be the one I would want unless I had enough money for a Henisoldt.

Formally, the SN3 is off the market; after playing with it yesterday and comparing it side-by-side with some really good stuff, I am again impressed with the over-all quality of the scope and the glass (and the reticle and the turrets.)

If it ain't broke...

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 13:27
Interesting. Could you be a little more specific RC?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 15:06
It has my favorite elevation adjustment (EREK) and has a great reticle.  Also, the glass held up well against many other fine optics.

hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 16:26
hi rancid koolaid was wonder if u would email your# if u dont mind just want your opinon on some stuff  cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 17:09
That's "coolaid", with a "C", I don't wanna get in any trouble with the Koolaid folks.
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 20:50
Thanks guys .....thats alot to think about
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 21:17
Rancid I'm so glad you decided to keep that scope.  They are like my dream optic  Thunbs Up

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2009 at 21:19
Not the place for it I know but what do you guys think of blc2 w/ mag primers for .308???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic