OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Subjections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Subjections
    Posted: June/01/2009 at 23:57
I just purchase a brand new Browning T-BOLT 22 Mag. I would like to get a real nice set of eyes for it .Big Smile
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 01:17
424164SF Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 07:47
bushnell 3-9x40 3200 great scope!!! not much $$
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 08:16
I guess it depends on what you are going to use the .22 mag, T-Bolt for.  I would put a Leupold VX-2, 2-7x28  rimfire or VX-2 compct 3-9x32 scope on it.  The T-Bolt is a larger, heavier rifle than some rimfires and even would not look too off balance with a smaller 2.5-10x40.  I have a Winchester Model 63 and have a Leupold VX-II, 2-7x28 Rimfire on it.  The scope balances well with the rifle.
CDR3
hunter_prey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 15:52
Thanks for your help. I went to look at some scopes today, and I'am leaning toward the Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 16:06
The Nikon Primos would also be nice.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 13:52
The 22mag is a hunting/plinking cartridge not a target round and I wouldn't take anything much further than 100yds with one. So unless you are fairly sure that you're going to be maxing out the range I'd stick with a Weaver RV9 or maybe even an RV7. Parallax will be more of an issue at 50yds with a centerfire scope than at 100yds with a rimfire scope. On the other hand if you're after something really small at 150yds then maybe I'd look at a Weaver V16 or if money isn't an issue the Bushnell 4200 4-16x40.

Edited by sholling - June/03/2009 at 13:53
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
BobFair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 14:15
The Nikon Monarch is really good, although I've heard that the threads were rough for some of the turret covers.  Excellent scope for the money
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 23:20
Sholling, are you saying that the Monarch 2.5 x 10x42 is to much scope for it?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 23:49

Will the Monarch 2.5 x 10x42 be to much scope for the T-Bolt? Or do I need a rimfire scope?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 23:55
First determine your own taste for magnification based on the application and your own individual needs eyesight wise. What is right for some may not be right for you. If what you are doing requires good magnification and you have need for eyesight purposes, then to some your rifle will be overscoped. There is also taste, the scope will do just fine on that rifle, so if it's what you want, go for it.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 23:58
Originally posted by hunter_prey hunter_prey wrote:

Sholling, are you saying that the Monarch 2.5 x 10x42 is to much scope for it?
Not at all. I'm Saying that the fixed focus Monarch 2.5-10x42 rifle scope is optimized for a centerfire rifle. That means that it's set to be parallax free at 100yds (see below). A scope designed for a rimfire will be set to be parallax free at 50yds (60yds for a Leupold). Because parallax errors tend to show up more at short range you're more likely to have noticable point of impact issues at 50yds with a scope set for 100yds - than you will at 100yds with a scope set for 50. The best way to understand parallax and parallax correction is to read this explanation.

Most of the time people aiming a centerfire rifle through a hunting scope like that Monarch are shooting at medium to large critters at 50-250yds and parallax won't be an issue at those ranges with a critter with an 3-4" kill zone. If you're 1/2" off at 50yds because of a parallax error it's no big deal.

Those shooting rimfires are generally shooting at a really small target or critter at 25-100yds, call it 50-60yds on average and maybe with a 22mag reaching out to 150yds once in a great while. Remember that little tiny bullet is being blown all over the place by any kind of breeze.

EDITED for clarification:
To answer you're question of fixed-focus rimfire vs a fixed-focus centerfire scope - only you know what ranges you'll be shooting at. Read up on parallax and decide if it's going to be an issue for your planned usage. Just to clarify if you were a precision target shooter you would probably be using scope that allows you to adjust out parallax errors at any range. But that slows the shot too much for most hunters. The 3-9x Weaver RV9 and Leupold Rimfire E.F.R. allow you to adjust out parallax at any range. So would a higher magnification centerfire scope like a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40. Again it comes down to how you plan to use it.

Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarch Riflescope

Specifications
Weight (oz): 15.7

Length (in):12.6
Eye Relief (in):4 - 3.8
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft):40.3 - 10.1
Exit Pupil (mm):4.2
MOA:1/4
Parallax Setting (yds):100

Edited by sholling - June/04/2009 at 00:10
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 00:11

Will I just wanted a good scope with good clarity and brightness everything you need in a scope.

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 00:13
Sorry if I'm confusing you. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter_prey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 00:21
This is some really good info. Thanks alot Excellent
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 09:25
Get the best bang for the buck in riflescope history.....the elite 4200 3-9x40 can be had for around $260.  Great glass, rainguard, and very, very tough. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic