OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR vs NF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR vs NF
    Posted: June/01/2009 at 22:32
I have been offered a new IOR 3-18 FFP at a very good price. This price is $600 cheaper than a new 5.5-22 Nightforce. Would this be a good buy comparitive to the NF for the purpose of medium to long range hunting and a bit of F class. Hunting ranges would be 500 to 900.

I have researched the 2 scopes on various forums. I understand that the general consensus is the IOR has superior optics and the advantages of FFP mil/mil. The NF has better mechanics and is potentialy tougher in the field. I would appreciate opinions from those that have not only owned both scopes but have actually shot at these distances with these scopes.

What would you choose in my position if the NF was pushing beyond the limit of my affordability?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 01:13
Hunting ranges would be 500 to 900.No No
 I hunt with a bow, so I think you need to walk closer and develope other hunting skills too.  I think it is better to limit your hunting distances to 500 or 600 at most where the bullet has more energy and wind drift has less effect.  A lot of people have no business hunting past 200 yds but so long as you practice at those distances and can read the wind it is a matter of skill level.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 09:24
If I were hunting at those distances, especially if it is small game or varmints, I don't think I would want the FFP.  The reticle gets pretty big on the higher powers and it would completely block out PDs and smaller animals like that.  Even a yote at those distances it might cover up. 

I have 3 IOR scopes right now and have had several more over the last couple years and really like them.  With all of them the adjustments were always accurate and repeatable, the glass is the best I have personally ever had.  I had a 3-18x SFP that got some lubricant on the inside of the glass somehow, but Valdada was very good to work with and had me a new scope with a week or two.

You will be happier with the glass in the IOR, it is better than the NF glass, but the NF glass is not bad either.  Adjustment wise, in my experience the IORs are top notch, I have seen several other besides the ones I have owned pass the box test just fine. 

Like I said though, if you are planning on hunting smaller game at those distances, a smaller reticle will be an advantage over the growing reticle of a FFP.

Edited by supertool73 - June/02/2009 at 09:30
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 11:26
Be advised that there have been problems with the 3-18, yours might be great, or it might fail. Badly.

And if it fails, their Customer Service leaves much to be desired.

I had the SH3-18, loved the glass, hated the really short back ring portion.  You didn't mention a caliber but I am guessing it will be magnum if you plan to hunt out to 900 yards (something I would not recommend even for the best of shooters - unless you're hunting hogs.)  If yours is a long action, be advised that the rear tube section is very short - significantly reducing the options for eye relief and mounting position.

I am a fan of IOR's glass, I am not a fan of their Customer Service or their general business practices.

I am a huge fan of Nightforce, their glass isn't the best (not bad, but not as good as IOR), but the scopes are rock solid and their Customer Service is good when needed.

If the 3-18 is a good deal, it might be worth the risk.  Personally, I will never again buy one of their 35mm tube scopes, there is no end to the problems they have had with them.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 11:43
Incase you choose to go with FFP IOR, EGW makes extended rails that were originally designed for the IOR SH edition to compensate for the short ring mounting spot. 
Long Action
http://www.swfa.com/pc-14011-2712-egw-picatinny-rail-1-piece-scope-mount.aspx
Short Action
http://www.swfa.com/pc-14009-2712-egw-picatinny-rail-1-piece-scope-mount.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 12:28
Maybe the NF 3.5-15 might be closer in price. I'd consider that too. I only have a NF scope so I can't compare directly. All I can say is that it came down to IOR or NF for me. In the end, I went with the NF but might have been quite happy with an IOR 2-12. I consider the NF optics more than adequate and not that far off from my Swaro glass. One thing's for sure, they're built to last and track like a demon.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 15:30

wow have some of you guys ever shot long range? why wouldnt he want a FFP reticle? if its small enough to smack 8" steel at very long distance then surely you can get a good POA on a critter that has a rather large vital area. before i got the reticle in one of my S&B PMII's switched to P4F i had the P3 mildot in it which is known to be a very heavy reticle and i had no problems knocking down small doe's at 1300M. that FFP reticle will be fine and he will be able to use it on all magnifications for wind holds and holds for follow up shots.

OP to answer your question. i would not own another IOR. i had a 2.5-10X40 FFP one that was absolutely great but after owning the 3-18SH edition i wouldnt mount one on a rifle if you gave one to me. it was replaced twice for things that could have easily been repaired, so that should say something about the quality of them. the second time it was replaced it got ebayed and that was my last dealing with IOR, never again. and theres too much bad about the 3-18 to even consider one. they are on the third generation now, that should say something too.

i also wouldnt buy that nightforce especially if your going to use it for hunting (im asuming your not shooting at varmints. the 22X reticle setting is going to be hell for holding off wind and adjusting for follow ups. the 15X is much better for that, but on a hunting rifle where low power will often be warranted i would choose a FFP scope. i jsut got a nightforce F1 FFP MIL/MLR and i am loving the thing. ill never go back to a MOA scope thats for sure, especially one with a MIL reticle, but i also wouldnt want a MOA knobs/MOA reticle scope again, MILS is where its at, whole lot easier.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 15:55
Get Your Popcorn Ready                  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 17:45
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

wow have some of you guys ever shot long range? why wouldnt he want a FFP reticle?

For the exact reason I stated.  "IF" he is hunting small game it might cover up the target at longer distances.  I have a SH edition and the 2.5-10x FFP.  For big game they would work great, but for small animals at 800 yards you would be better off with a SFP.

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 18:04
the way you worded it you described it as not wanting it for hunting period, then said "especially if it is small game or varmints".
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 02:50
Originally posted by Digit Digit wrote:

I have been offered a new IOR 3-18 FFP at a very good price. This price is $600 cheaper than a new 5.5-22 Nightforce. Would this be a good buy comparitive to the NF for the purpose of medium to long range hunting and a bit of F class. Hunting ranges would be 500 to 900.

First question, how much does your rifle kick?  While I like the IOR better in nearly every way and feel it's a fantastic scope for that sort of use and in most ways can't be matched for the price...big thumpers tend to eat them.  For game animals at 900 I'm guessing you have a big thumper.      Wink

The later ones have been dramatically more reliable, they aren't dropping in droves anymore on .308's, but there have been failures.  All I know of have been on big magnums.  Life is too short to set yourself up to risk having a hunt screwed up.  So there goes that idea.      Really Sad

Quote What would you choose in my position if the NF was pushing beyond the limit of my affordability?

A used NF.      Excellent      Seriously, they're not hard to find and while I'm not a fan of their glass and many of their features, they're reliable and get the job done.  If you aren't in a huge hurry, the new Vortex tactical should be in that general price range.  I'm so impressed with the 6.5-20 I have for the money I can't wait to see what they can do when they really put some effort into it.

Of course there are plenty more that will work.  Too many people have had success with Leupolds to ignore them as a choice, though I feel their Mk IV's are drastically overpriced (unless you're military) and am not a big fan of their glass, some features I feel they should have for that price, etc as well as the problems many have had with them lately.

Much of it comes down to what you're willing to put up with and how annoyed you get with your equipment on a day to day basis while doing all that practicing that you will be doing.  For many hunters, they can say they only spend 10 seconds behind the scope each season to fill their tag so all they really need is an adequate "aiming device" for that brief moment.  You know you don't have that option for doing what you said above.  You are going to need to spend a lot of time behind this thing and will have plenty of opportunity to be bothered by whatever it's lacking.  Throw some F-Class into the mix and that's just multiplied.

Edited by Jon A - June/07/2009 at 02:52
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2009 at 11:53
I've mentioned elsewhere before that I'm a little puzzled NF doesn't go with really high quality glass. But their glass is better than the Leupolds I've owned and quite good. Considering that very few hunters would take a shot over 300 yards in low light conditions, their glass is more than adequate.  I'd prefer the rock-solid reliability of the NF mechanics over the possibility of a scope that has better glass but might fail at the wrong moment.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 19:56
Well there is always Heinsoldt Coffee

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 04:03
Yeah, except for it being about three times the price he was looking at.      Shocked

But while we're mentioning alternatives, especially as it pertains to hunting rifles where weight might be a concern, one I'm going to have my eye on that hasn't been talked about much here yet is the upcoming March 2.5-25.  25X with March ED glass along with a very good low end in a compact package that's a full pound lighter than the Premier 15X....      Bow      When they offer it in Mil/Mil, especially if in FFP it's going to warrant consideration from those looking for such a tool.

Competition is good.      Excellent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 12:11
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Yeah, except for it being about three times the price he was looking at.      Shocked

But while we're mentioning alternatives, especially as it pertains to hunting rifles where weight might be a concern, one I'm going to have my eye on that hasn't been talked about much here yet is the upcoming March 2.5-25.  25X with March ED glass along with a very good low end in a compact package that's a full pound lighter than the Premier 15X....      Bow      When they offer it in Mil/Mil, especially if in FFP it's going to warrant consideration from those looking for such a tool.

I too am interested in the March scopes, I've heard great things, but reserve judgment for the "hands on" experience.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 15:25
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

WOW!  10:1 zoom!  Amazing!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 15:27
Rancid you already have the U.S.Optics - you know that cant possibly be improved upon. Cool
It's AWESOME

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Rancid you already have the U.S.Optics - you know that cant possibly be improved upon. Cool
It's AWESOME

It is a great scope, but with it, I can't see bullet holes at 600 yards - and that would be nice!

Though, in truth, Texas summer will prevent the "bullet holes at 600 yards" thing.

I still really like my Premier, but I think I'm done buying brand new, unproven optics for awhile.  I've had less-than-stellar results.

I recently found out that the IOR SH3-18 I sold a guy died - a horrible death - and he waited a few months to get a new one.  he's selling the new one.  In truth, I fully disclosed in advance that the scopes in general were prone to failure.  He sold me a USO that had specs on the reticle (which was not disclosed) that was fixed up and good-to-go in 2 weeks.  The IOR died, the USO is still going strong.

Now, having shot almost everything out there, from the worst to the best (except Hensoldt, waiting to try it out), I can say that my USO - glass, durability, and features - is among the top scopes in my book.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 15:38
I only have experience with IOR, had 2 versions of the 1.1-4 CQB
wasn't very hapy with either
fisheye at 1x, not real clear frankly, reticle too bright for low light hunting (granted it's a CQB reticle and would be fine doing COM shots in an urban setting)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 16:02
For clarity:

I own a 4X hunting scope from IOR and really, really like it.  I am not writing off all their products, some scopes are great.  Their 35mm tube seems to be the issue, as is the custom nature of the SH3-18.

Their glass is great for the price - but I don't trust their scopes and I do trust NF.  As I discussed with tool earlier today, mileage varies and anyone would be a fool to discount an entire company based on one not-happy customer - so the "grain of salt" thing applies.

The game is confidence, and I am supremely confident in NF's scopes.  Since the initial question was about NF and IOR, I still say NF, almost every time.

Almost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic