OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

savage 10fp .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: savage 10fp .308
    Posted: June/01/2009 at 14:44
im looking to get a savage .308.

what does everyone think? anyone have one? how do they shoot? what tgype of range do you get out of them?

im also looking to only spend about 300 on a scope! variable power!

any ideas?

hope to hear back soon!

thanks
-Shaine-
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 15:01
I'm very familiar with the Savage 10FP. After replacing the stock with a Bell and Carlson Varmint/Tactical (some fitting too), and some load developement, It's starting to get 5 shot groups at about 1/2". It didn't start that way, but it seems to get better the more it is shot.
If your looking for a good buy for the money, the 10FP is a good buy. JMHO.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 15:01
I have the Savage 12F/TR .308,heavy gun,low recoil and very accurate so far it's a keeper.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 17:01
It seems that out of the box Savage is hard to beat accuracy and cost wise!  My 270 is .75MOA out of the box and thats a sportster barrel.  Just won a 12BTV 223 with fluked bull barrel and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  I have high expetations!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 00:51
I prefer the 20 in barrel version.  As for a $300 scope
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now
423944M Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                  Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 16:13
I had a 10fp in .223 pre-accutrigger, it was a tackdriver.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 17:36
Great rifles saddled with crappy factory stocks. That's supposed to change with the new "Accustock" version but I'm not sure if that one gets a new model designation. From what I read the Accustockmakes a big difference.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
bluealtered View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluealtered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 08:14
   I have a 10fp in .223, and it is a tack driver. It shoots the same from sandbags or bi-pod, and yes from the bi-pod you can see the stock flex. These stocks are easy to fix or you can get a b&c duramax, you will have to do some fitting on the duramax.

You might want to consider the new l.e. precision carbine 308 (10pc) it's a 20" heavy barrel with digital camo, accutrigger, accustock etc. I just got one and with only 75rds through it, (125gr sp) it's starting to make touching 3 shot groups at 100yd. I feel that most savages don't completely break in until 100-200rds, so it will only get better. It weighs in at 7 3/4 pounds without anything on it, and comes in around 10lbs. scoped.

That means you can use it both for a bench rifle, and a carry rifle. I'm waiting on a new 3200 5-15x50 elite for it to try this week. It's in the L.E. section of the savage site. blue
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 08:23
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Great rifles saddled with crappy factory stocks.

Tru dat!  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 08:43
Welcome to the OT Blue!  Hope you stick around long enough to realize all the OT has to offer!  Tons of personal experience on Optics, Guns, Reloading and more.  We have famous Gunsmiths, sports writers, hunters and several goofs like me to keep it lively.
I too have a Savage, mine is a 10fp in 270Win.  Agreed the synth stock flexs but the gun is still a tackdriver straight out of the box.  Bought mine for under $400 so you can imagine my frustration when my Browning A-Bolt Medallion didn't do as well OOTB. Clown

I am waiting on a 12BTV in 223 now.  Thats a natural finish Lamy Thumbhole stock with Blued Fluted Bull Barrel and Action.  I have high hopes she will be as accurate or better than my 270.
WEll I hope you enjoy your LE 223! Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 11:00
I chose to keep the factory stock on mine.... I did have to do some modifications on it.....Time consuming, but thankfully not very difficult to do.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
bluealtered View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluealtered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 12:44
Thanks budperm, i fit in the goof arena pretty good. This looks like a good site for me to learn something from, my ears always perk up at seeing the word savage. I havn't even gotten the 3200 (5-15x50) elite yet, and now i'm thinkng about the 3200 10x40. Iv'e never been much of a fixed power guy, it just might be time to get my feet wet there. Anyway, i will hang around until i get the boot. blue
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 18:30
i have a model 11 in a 308, wooden stock, cannot remember the exact model designation.   shoots very well with handloads, less than inch groups.  floated barrel, but without any glass or pillar bedding.  that is one of many projects i have planned for the future.  would also like to spruce up the stock, even though for the price i payed, about 350, nib, a couple of years ago, through www.auctionarms.com, is reasonably decent.  scope,  for 300, personally, depends on what you are going to do.  you say a variable.  how about a fixed 6x.  great all around power and much tougher that a variable.

Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU58830
  • Matte
  • Wide Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$279.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS = value=XMgExaKWJxtRELSxp/+XX7fQXhwv+aCvIEdE8g41b4dfQWc7HmHDw6UO7donzC9h name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl02_Add2Wishlist_VS = value=XXyHh10p0wDbxdZpSD3S6CiF6gwyooXQaqv4mfEUQA7y6Sc7H6BV167O507TPCtH name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl02$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope to Cart
A great variable for the rifle, of which i own several brand models and they are terrific.
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 18:35
sorry hit the enter button.  but a great variable

New Hawke 3-12x44 SR Riflescope
Stock # - HK3224
  • Matte
  • SR6
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$208.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl01_Price_VS = value=PHj9OXbTuh6H4uZ84MXyBfY0xjedYb3IzPtQDIoQJzMnbur4hPPNLvZWx6wgIzSI name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl01$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Wishlist_VS = value=4wSNBX2bIsKv0Ppa44o7WWwgsAehNkOoA5uv9Ew8BEn+8voJsSRhaKnmT5u8G name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add New Hawke 3-12x44 SR Riflescope to Cart
go to www.hawkeoptics.com and you can see the scope, download their ballistic reticle program.  go to their NA distributor site and you can call that number and ask for Brad Bonner, head of NA distribution and he will talk to you about any of their scope or other products.  i have talked with him on many occasions, introduced his line of products to a local gun shop and he has called me on several occasions to make sure i was happy with my purchases.  so far, i own about 5 of their scopes, shot several on some heavy recoilers and they are great and for the money a steal.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2009 at 19:46
Originally posted by bluealtered bluealtered wrote:

Thanks budperm, i fit in the goof arena pretty good. This looks like a good site for me to learn something from, my ears always perk up at seeing the word savage. I havn't even gotten the 3200 (5-15x50) elite yet, and now i'm thinkng about the 3200 10x40. Iv'e never been much of a fixed power guy, it just might be time to get my feet wet there. Anyway, i will hang around until i get the boot. blue

Seems we think alike.  Several here would call that a strike against you and scary! Wink
I put a 2.5-10X40 4200 on my SAV270.  Love the scope!
--Thomas Jefferson

KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2009 at 17:12
I bought me the savage 10fp with the HS Precision stock. I looked at the regular rifles and was not impressed with the normal stocks. It cost a little more than the reg 10fp, but was well worth it. If I would have been on more of a budget I would have bought the regular 10fp, and saved for a stock. As far as the rifle goes, it has become my new mistress. I have spent more time with it than my wife. But now that ammo is hard to find the ole lady has been happier LOL! Been saving for reloading equip then she will be sorry again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2009 at 10:45
When you start reloading for the Savage is when they really start to shine.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic