OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 45-70 Marlin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 45-70 Marlin
    Posted: June/01/2009 at 09:06
Looking to scope a 45-70 guide gun w/ XS lever rail.  My first choice is the Millett DMS because of the true 1x and I like the one on my 16" AR.  After looking around I see there are a lot of 1x? variable power scopes out there.  Any one have their favorite in this price range?  (already have 30mm rings) 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 09:30
You need a variable?

I have a 4X IOR hunter on my 45/70 and really, really like it.

I hear great things about the Bushnell 1-4 and Trijicon makes a great 1-4 with tritium illumination, so no on/off switch.

I had the Millett DMS for a year or so, not bad; if you like the one you have, get another.  For the money, it is a good scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 10:07
Weaver Classic Extreme 30mm tube iluminated dot.1-5 power also a nice scope for an AR type.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 10:22
This rail system?  FOR SCOUT SCOPE
282141A0951 XS Sight Systems Scope Mount                                                                                            XS Sight Systems Scope Mount
  • Marlin 1895
  • Matte
SWFA: $49.95
More Info... Buy Now
If so it is designed for a scout scope set up and you only have two traditional optic choices
the Leupold
LEU58810 Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope                                                                                        Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $279.95
More Info...
or the Burris;
200269 Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope                                                                                              Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $249.95
More Info... Buy Now
Or a red dot where eye relief isnt an issue.
11417 Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $373.95
More Info... Buy Now
since you already bought 30mm rings and the other two scopes are one inch tubes I'd say buy the aimpoint it's better than the millett.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/01/2009 at 10:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 12:03
"This rail system? " 
This one gives lots of room for whatever:

MARLIN 1895/336/308MX LEVER RAIL

Would like the 1x for walking/hunting and the
4x for in the stand.

I'll look at the suggestions given.

Thanks.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 12:39
Take a look and read this article;

"gunblast.com"..........click "archives"..........scroll down to March 10. `09.

Good piece about the Marlin 45-70 GG by Jeff Quinn which includes the rail system and the scope. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 15:15
One that's piqued my interest is the Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20. It looks like it should have plenty of eye relief but I haven't seen one yet.

Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch African Riflescope                                                                                 Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch African Riflescope
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 1"
  • Free Lens Covers
SWFA: $279.95
More Info...

If that's too rich then Weaver V3 1-3x20 should be a good choice. It just doesn't have a lot of eye relief. You probably won't be shooting a 45-70 far enough to need more than 3x magnification and it's hard to beat the bang for the buck on these.

Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope                                                                                     Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $149.95
More Info...

Edited by sholling - June/01/2009 at 15:15
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 17:10
Have the weaver v3 posted above on a very simular marlin .444, its been great!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
hound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 22:14
The Nikon African is a little more than I was planning on spending but if the glass is as good as the 4.5-14 SF Monarch on my 17MkIV it would be worth it.  Illuminated would be nice but not necessary - how is the glass in the Bushnell Trophy 1-4?  The Weaver 1-3 has only 3" of eye relief and I worry about hotter loads and recoil. (Millett /3.5"  Bushnell/3.5" Nikon/4")  Then again the Scout concept is interesting . . . . .  Leaning towards the Nikon and really appreciate the input.  Yippee
hound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 22:18
Would I even notice any difference between the 1" tube and the 30mm tube?
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 22:56
Leupold 1-4 shotgun (thick) reticle, works very nice, easy to pick up the crosshair even in thick stuff. 
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 23:00
Hound...............The glass on the Nikon African should be as good as was on my 2.5-8x28 Monarch EER scout that I sold, which was excellent. Imo, it is worth the price.

The Bushnell Trophy is not the optical quality of a Nikon Monarch!

For a variable, the 1x4 magnification is about as good as it gets for a 45-70, if you go with a conventionally mounted scope.

If you choose an EER scout scope, the 2.75x Burris is a great alternative to the more expensive 2.5x FX11 Leupold scout.   

Although very fast acquiring, the dis-advantage with the scout scopes is their lack of FOV. But with the capability of leaving your non-aiming eye open too, that will compensate for the lack of FOV when looking through the scope with your aiming eye.

You need to decide on the version; conventional or scout scope.

For the reduced price, I`d stick with a 1" tube. The 30mm tubes are more money!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 23:05
I put the Leupold Scout Scope on mine and am loving it.  For in the brush I personally thing the acquisition time is faster with the scout scope because I can keep both eyes open.  Plus for the ranges you shoot with the 45/70, you really don't need high top end magnification.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 23:16
I would take a real hard look at these.  I have the 1-4 and it seems to be a good solid scope at a really good price for one with illumination, plus it's 30mm.
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now

731642M Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 08:36
I have the Trophy 1.75-4x32 on my carbine and have been very happy with it.  I can't give you a comparison to the Monarch or Weaver however.
God save the Empire!
hound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 15:37
I ordered the Bushnell 1-4 30mm and I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for the help!
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 20:51
I stumbled on this thread while just browsing various topics, but it turned out to be very useful. I have a 45-70 guide gun as well that desperately needs to be rescoped (I stuck a 3x9x40 nikon on it because it was all I had at the time). But it is obviously waaaaaaay to much scope and severely limits fast acquisition and ability to follow running game which is the whole reason I bought the rifle. Whatever
-Michael
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 07:13
hound, will be especially interested to know how you like the illuminated reticle.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic