OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner 8X30 Firebird II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pansat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner 8X30 Firebird II
    Posted: May/24/2005 at 22:12

Hello,

Any information on these binoculars? Any good? Just had a new set given to me,  waiting for them to be delivered.

Thank you

Pansat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pansat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2005 at 14:21
I take it they are not a very popular binoc. Can't find any information on them. Even the website does not list them.
SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2005 at 14:31

I didn't want to put a damper on them, since they're a gift to you.

I remember seeing them in advertising, but I never owned one.  I had sister models, though:  8x30 safari II, 8x30 mililtary/marine, and 8x30 Hunting (top of the line, at the time).  They should be pretty good, but I don't expect greatness.  They were apparently discontinued a few years ago.

They were not the high end of Steiner's line; in fact, they were among their most affordable models.  Outwardly, they looked like their other 8x30 porro models (military/marine and safari, at the time).  They were outwardly different in having reflective red objective coatings, advertised to block glare.  Most forum comments about such coatings are they they are unnecessary and, instead, reduce light throughput and give an unnatural color cast.

Still, I think that they will perform quite satisfactorily for you.  

Pansat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pansat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2005 at 19:08

Oh thanks, all comments are great. I bought a set of these little binocs a few years back, Tasco Luminas 8X25 with the red optics and these portables are just too small and gave me crossed eyes and a headache. I actually had to look at them through one eye so I am sure these will at least be an approvement over them. I also hope they are bigger to hold on to. Are the firebirds like the M22 Steiners?

Really appreciate your comment.

Edited by Pansat
SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2005 at 19:38

The 8x30 Firebirds are porro prism models, and this type of Steiner body was the same for the Hunter, Safari, and Military/Marine versions.  Yes, they are shaped like the M22 Steiners, just smaller.  Bigger than an 8x25, and more comfortable to hold. 

The discomfort described with the 8x25 might suggest that they were misaligned. 

The Steiner should be a significant improvement.

Pansat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pansat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2005 at 19:43

Well you have been a big help SteveSF. And if all else fails I will just sell them. My wife just thought these would be good for fishing but if they don't suit my needs, I just noticed another model Zhumell 7X50 Marine  might end up being a better choice.

The Tasco Lumina's I have are way to small, like they fit in one hand, a small hand at that. I'm just going to give them to a neighbour kid, he will like them.

Thanks again.

Edited by Pansat
Pansat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pansat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2005 at 18:26

Well the optics finally arrived. They are definately smaller than I thought but they will be a good size to carry in my backpack. The optics are very clear to what I have been use to. I find the seperate focusing is a bit different to get use to since I can't seem to set them up properly. They say once set they are good from 20m to infinity but I find myself having to refocus them. There seems to be a middle point thats in focus but long distance and close distance seem to need refocusing. But they are clear and bright.

I'm sure I will figure them out.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic