OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 3X9-40 VS. Kahles KX 3-9X42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest 3X9-40 VS. Kahles KX 3-9X42
    Posted: May/30/2009 at 08:22
Zeiss Conquest 3X9-40 VS. Kahles KX 3-9X42

What's the better scope?  I know the Zeiss is a great value, but the Kahles isn't sometheing that everybody else has.  Please tell me your thoughts on this.
The rifle is a H-S Precision 30-06 with Talley one peice LW rings.
Thanks,
SSgtSmitty
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 08:29
IMO, the Kahles is a touch "better"... whatever that means. However, I'm of the understanding that Kahles is currently "between" USA distributors. If it were to need warranty work, it's across the pond time. That makes me nervous, so I'd stay with the Conquest if it were my decision. The Zeiss C.S. is top notch. Another option I'd suggest is the Swaro AV line. They are very nice scopes and are currently on sale here @ S.W.F.A. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 08:37
Both good scopes...I went with the Zeiss myself mounted on a 7MM.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:16
I can never say enough good things about the Zeiss conquests, they are a great scope and fairly priced. When I compare the Conquest to the Kahles cl 2-7X36 I see little if any difference any time of the day or night between the two - let me add the phrase "FOR MY EYES" as I know the die hard Kahles fans will jump all over that!  - FOR MY EYES - and the Conquest 3-9X40 is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.   
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:28
EENY MEENY MINEY MOE!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:41
Save $200, with Zeiss I'll go!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:48
Well Bro Now You Know!   Wink
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:41
I don't think the Kahles has plastic turrets.  TO some, this matters; though I have never had a turret problem with a Zeiss, it does give me some lessened confidence.  It is the part I worry about breaking, though I never have.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:42
My Glock has a plastic frame, hasn't broke yet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:48
True, but...
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 13:57
I think it's come down to just the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 with the Z600 reticle (even with the plastic caps).  I cant find the Kahles KX3-9X42 for sale anywhere at a fair price (most places don't  have them in stock anymore).  And it would have to be a hell of a scope to beat the Zeiss w Z600.
Thanks,

SSgtSmitty 
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 14:29
Wise choice
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 14:50
Just my .02, I have had both and now have Kahles on both my rifles.....25-06 and 7mm...

skywalker
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 15:06
zeiss is a fine choice - they are rock solid and great glass.

let us know what you think.

J
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 13:37
I had one of them in my hands  at Cabella's in East Hartford CT for $574.  Dispite the high cost (and tax) I'd have bought it right then, but all they had was the display model and it was fairly beat up.   I'm not going to throw down $600 on a beat up scope the like 50 people have played with.  Besides I can do better if I buy the thing online & screw paying sales tax on it. 
My set up would be this:
A.   H-S Precision 30-06 bolt rifle (H-S kevlar fiberglass stock & H-S flutted barrel all built up on a Rem model 700 action).
B.  Talley LW aluminum rings, they are one peice and look strong.
C.  Zeiss 3-9X40 Conquest with Z600 reticle. 
I think that this will be the set up for my hunting rifle.
SSgtSmitty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 13:43
Good setup, it'll get the job done up close and pretty far out.

How heavy is the H-S  rifle?
What will be your longest ranges?

The Z600 will take some time on the bench to verify actual ranges vs. stated zero point on the reticle.

A good 30-06 is a nice all-around hunter, hard to beat for general hunting.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 14:37
30.06 w/ 165 grn boat tail soft points is about as good as it gets.

J
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 14:56
Rancid Coolaid "Good setup, it'll get the job done up close and pretty far out." 
Thanks, that's sort of what I was hoping for. 
I tried the beat up store demo Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 w Z600 head to head up against several other scopes Vari X-3, VX-3, Trijicon Accupoint, and even a Swavorski that costs a bunch more money.  That was what did it for me, when head to head the Zeiss hung in there with $1,000 glass.  The advice given here on this forum to test them head to head if you can and see what your eyes say was a big help.  Let your eyes determine what scope is the best for you.
I picked the rifle up used from the Cabella's gun room in East Hartford CT.  The rifle has a H-S camo stock and looks great overall.  It was made in 1998 and has a real tight test target with load data info.  They had  $1,600 on it, I got it $450 and my old Sako in trade.   
How heavy is the H-S  rifle?  It looks like a "tactical rifle" (sort of like a model Rem 700 police).  So I figured it would be heavy as a brick when I asked to look at it.  But the rifle kind of shocked me, the weight was more than workable.  It's not a true mountain rifle, but the weight is good for a hunting rifle.  It's not a Tikka T3 light, but it's less than many hunting arms such as a Weatherby Vangaurd.  I guess it's due to the construction of the H-S stock (kevlar & fibreglass) and the full flutted barrel.  
What will be your longest ranges?  I hope to one day take the rifle out west or to Alaska to hunt Elk.  I'd not shoot at any game past six hundred yards, as at that distance things become "Real Iffy".  I've just shot my M-16A2 9service rifle enough at 500 & 600 yards enough to know nothing is a given.  My local civilian range goes out to 400 yards  and that's where I'll get the Zeiss scoped out to (200 zero, 300, and 400).  Your right "The Z600 will take some time on the bench to verify actual ranges".  That's okay it will be worth it to know that my rifle / scope set up is on.
30-06 It's a great old cartrige and great as a North America hunting round.  We could write for days of it's merits as it's the subject of a few books.
I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHEN I GET THE SCOPE.  I'll take a picture when I get it mounted up for you all to see.
Thanks for all the help,
SSgtSmitty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 16:37
Is the Zeiss "in-hand", if not, something new is coming down that pipe very soon, and it will run well with the Zeiss, might be of interest!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 09:40
Rancid the Zeiss IS NOT "in-hand"!  "Something new is coming down that pipe very soon".  Are you speking of  the "HUNTING SS scopes" like a 3-9 or 4-12 power?

Truth is I'm more worried about the plastic knobs than the plastic covers on the Zeiss.  I mean under the covers the dials are all plastic (like a Leupold VX-3).  At least the Trijicon Accupoint had metal elevation & windage dials (even though the dials were coin turn not finger turn , however I did think the Zeiss had better quality glass). 
Is the Kahles all metal to metal or does it have some platic inner workings on it?  If it's an all metal set up that would be the way form me to go, I think.  Also would you prefer the Kahles MULTI ZERO over a bullet drop reticle?  I mean the multi zero setup looks like it would be dead nuts accurate.  Or would this be a bigger pain in the ass?  I'ts going to be a little slower, but is it that much of a deal breaker. 
Zeiss  Pos. I like the under $600 price of the Zeiss, love the glass it has and think the Z600 would work for my purpose.  A good  company / customer srervice, when I called for info I had a booklet  in about three days.  Neg. I'm not crazy about how the E & W knobs are plastic (as are the covers).  Also it looks like in an effort to cut cost the E &W knobs are the same thing just in different locations.  Zeiss E & W are not marked with a up / down arrow or a left / right arrow.
Kahles  Pos. I like that it is quality, oldest scope company in the world.  Your buying a European optic that not everybody has, it's kind of rare / not run of the mill.  When I called the Kahles North American repair center in RI, they called me back the next morning to help me.  The multizero could be great for accurate work (you'd have to zero it five times for the different ranges).  Neg.  Cost is more than the Zeiss (like $150 to $200) and it's harder to find.  I've had the Zeiss in my hands to look through, can't say that about the Kahles.  Unsure if it's "all metal".  Unsure if it's better glass?             
Thanks,
SSgtSmitty  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic