OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bent spent cases when shooting my Sako 75?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 20:25
I realize that chambering and ejecting empty rounds doesn't really duplicate the scenario I described, but I thought it might help determine whether the problem was in the action or if it had something to do with actually firing the rifle which would appear to be a more serious problem. When I get a chance to go shoot (hopefully this weekend) I will post pictures of the results. What I can tell yall is that the pictures here are similar to what was been happening. The primary difference being in the severity and uniformity of the denting. For example, sometimes it would be very slight, similar to what is shown in these pictures except only on one side of the rim. In other instances though it would be very noticeable and much more significantly deformed. All of this deformation was due to simply chambering a live round, firing the round, then ejecting the empty cartridge. I don't typically try to fling the spent brass a country mile either, so I don't really eject the brass that forcefully. I have never really understood what was going on, but the firearm has functioned fine and the gunsmith I showed the bent shells to said it was simply a case of the ejector being very strong and pinging the shells against something I think. But, RifleDude stated that this doesn't seem possible because of the specific nature of the ejector so I really don't know.
-Michael
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:25
Mike does this happen regardless of how fast or slow you cycle the bolt?
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:34
I havnt shot the rifle in a while so its hard for me to remember how exactly it would happen, but I typically work the bolt pretty lightly so I don't think its a matter of me slinging the bolt open to eject the shell.
-Michael
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:49
after looking at this, I tried the same thing with my Sako and I cant make it do that ...IMO send it back for repair!  looks to me like a bad chamber?

Edited by rifle looney - June/03/2009 at 21:51
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:52
Could be a trim problem.  When I first started reloading I had a bad caliper and the cases got too long and would bump up against the neck stop in the leade and bulge the mouths, sometime unevenly.  

And that neck brass looks very thick.

Edited by sakomato - June/03/2009 at 21:54
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 21:53
I thought the same thing especially if every case has the same type/location of dent.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 22:07
so if it is a trim thing what exactly does that mean as far as the safety and functionality of the rifle?
-Michael
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 22:09
Are you reloading or are these factoey rounds? reread you post and it states this is factory ammo ? as noted before I think it is a bad chamber, factory ammo should be on the short side anyway therefore not creating this problem?  you can not trim loaded ammo.

Edited by rifle looney - June/03/2009 at 22:14
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 22:15
everything ive shot through it has been factory stuff...mostly remington corelokt
-Michael
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 22:21
Cases stretch after a single fireing some more than others some less. but factory ammo shoud not be a problem at all.    Wink if your gun indeed has a bad chamber shooting will just worsen it,  send it back or have a Gun smith check it out?

Edited by rifle looney - June/03/2009 at 23:32
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 22:57
If the bolt was closing hard, I could perhaps see where sakomato could have revealed something I wouldn't have thought of before. I am leaning more toward the chamber defect unless there is another piece of the puzzle missing.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 07:45
on mauser claw extractors which hold the case firmly untill the very last second the ejector pulls them out, (same things happens on 1911 acp cases, ) the claw is still holding the case as it the ejector whacks the tip of the case into the inside rail of the receiver. The angle of ejection can be changed (just like a 45) by making a small angle bevel on the top side of the tip of the ejector.  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:59

That looks like a case ejected from my 91. I'll post pics next week.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 12:22
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

on mauser claw extractors which hold the case firmly untill the very last second the ejector pulls them out, (same things happens on 1911 acp cases, ) the claw is still holding the case as it the ejector whacks the tip of the case into the inside rail of the receiver. The angle of ejection can be changed (just like a 45) by making a small angle bevel on the top side of the tip of the ejector.  

The Sako action has a high ejection angle, Dale.  By the time the case contacts the ejector, the bolt is near the very end of its stroke and the case is well clear of the side of the receiver.  The case makes no contact with the receiver during ejection.  Looking at the bolt face during the ejection cycle, the extractor is located at about 10:00 and the ejector is located at 6:00, making for a high angle of ejection.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 12:35
How hard is he ejecting the spent case's? I had a remmy throw them out so hard they would flip around and hit the out side of the recever. It would oval shape the case mouth and nick the out side of the recever even when not ejecting them real hard. Just something to think about.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 19:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The Sako action has a high ejection angle, Dale.  By the time the case contacts the ejector, the bolt is near the very end of its stroke and the case is well clear of the side of the receiver.  The case makes no contact with the receiver during ejection.  Looking at the bolt face during the ejection cycle, the extractor is located at about 10:00 and the ejector is located at 6:00, making for a high angle of ejection.
maybe his isn't doing that, in any case the mouth looks identical to my 270 brass from a mauser. also this is a good thing at least in a mauser as it shows the claw has control of the case thru the entire cycle. also resizing solves the problem and the cases aren't affected.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 19:44
So I was going to go out and shoot a bit today so I could hopefully reproduce a better example of the problem...however the weather had other plans. Perhaps tomorrow or sat.
-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 16:26
 Ok, so I finally got to shoot my Sako some the other day, and I have just gotten around to uploading the pictures of the aforementioned bent cases. These are the best representations I could find. Some of the deformations on shells were slightly more prominent, but this best characterizes the typical deformity I've been encountering. These cases were factory loaded remington ammunition, fired once, and ejected with a standard amount of force. Maybe this is typical and nothing to worry about (hopefully), I had just never seen it on any other gun I've fired.
-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 16:27

-Michael
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2009 at 16:28
-Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic