OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Italian Tomato Garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italian Tomato Garden
    Posted: May/29/2009 at 19:39
Italian Tomato Garden:

An old Italian lived alone in New Jersey. He wanted to plant his annual tomato garden, but it was very difficult work, as the ground was hard.
His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:

Dear Vincent,
I am feeling pretty sad, because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be
over.. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days.
Love, Papa

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Pop, Don't dig up that garden. That's where the bodies are buried.

Love,
Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.
That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Pop,
Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love you
Vinnie
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 01:15
Roll on Floor Laughing

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 05:54
Excellent
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 07:15
About certain things Government mentality is very predictable.

Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:07
Well I sure hope no G-men are monitoring this cause I wouldn't want them to know that I am burying all my guns next February in a 50' x 100' patch of dirt just due East from my present tomato patch

No sir, wouldn't want them to know that!!  And I don't know who that good lookin fellow is in that pic!!  Might even bury all my reloading stuff there too

wouln't want anyone to find it!

Peeker

Edited by sakomato - May/30/2009 at 09:08
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

Excellent
CALLING ALL PAINTSHOPPERS!!!! 
Another one for the file.

I see you did the same thing I did...make your own tom cages out of rebar.
Beautiful plants and fruit Bro! 

I went through several diffeent store bought cages but all would colapse or the plant would grow so far out the top they would break over the top bar.

Saves a ton of space and ya get a much better yield!

Do you can?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:27
 Hey Sakomato- is that where the-'mato' prt of your user name comes from?

Nice garden, BTW!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:33
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Nice garden, BTW!
Funny, I was wondering the same thing.

--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 09:38
Nice tomatos Bob.  Mine are planted and I'm standing by...........
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 12:14
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Nice garden, BTW!
Funny, I was wondering the same thing.

Either that, or it's because he owns 2 Beretta Mato rifles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 12:29
Nope, the Mato comes from the Berettas.  Otherwise it would be sakomaters (uh-oh, that sounds perverted)

No, I don't can any, just give 'em away by the bag-loads every June-July.  By then I am so sick and tired of tomatoes that I don't want to look at one for another year.

I can deal with the squirrels cause they only get a few, the birds the same and the tomato worms can be handled with Sevin dust but when the stink bugs show up it's time to pack it in.  The little green ones aren't so bad cause Sevin dust will slow them down but those big brown ones with the wings on their legs are nasty and unkillable.  The only way I found to kill them is with a direct shot of Raid bug spray!!

They bite the tomatoes and make yellow airy spots in the skin.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 13:37
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Nope, the Mato comes from the Berettas.  Otherwise it would be sakomaters (uh-oh, that sounds perverted)

No, I don't can any, just give 'em away by the bag-loads every June-July.  By then I am so sick and tired of tomatoes that I don't want to look at one for another year.

I can deal with the squirrels cause they only get a few, the birds the same and the tomato worms can be handled with Sevin dust but when the stink bugs show up it's time to pack it in.  The little green ones aren't so bad cause Sevin dust will slow them down but those big brown ones with the wings on their legs are nasty and unkillable.  The only way I found to kill them is with a direct shot of Raid bug spray!!

They bite the tomatoes and make yellow airy spots in the skin.

They are almost as tuff as roaches.  I have found that mixing about 3 tablespoons of Pamolive Dish liquid in a gallon on water and spraying the plants will keep most bugs off the toms.  Works great for japanese beatles which can destroy the whole garden in a couple of days.
--Thomas Jefferson

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 16:28

You know, we must have a different kind of japanese beetle down here.  I think it is what we call June Bugs and I have yet to see one eating anything.  Have tons of them under the lights at night though.

Getting to where I look forward to the Figs coming in season more than the tomatoes.  Have some Figs called "Brown Turkey" that get big and brown (no pics, I'll have to take some pics this year).  Now I have seen some huge beetles digging into the ends of an open Fig.  Sound like an airplane when they take off.  Figs will go till it gets too dry the last part of August.

Then I have to wait for my pecans in November
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 18:42
The Japaneze beatles in Mary;land and PA are about the size of potato bugs but blue green iridesant.  They will completely cover the fruit like peaches and devour them they will also defoliate bean plants and the like.  They haven't been very bad recentlyt but a few years ago they were terible.  The state was spraying infested areas with helicopters.

Figs, thats interesting never tried a fresh one much less grow them.  Thats a tree bourne fruit, correct?  Pecans I love.  My grandmother in northern Florida had a huge pecan tree on the side of her house and most years we would fill several of the plastic burlap bags you get grapefruit in.  Monster paper shell pecans. MMMmmmmm.  Grandma had the best recipe for home made butter pecan ice cream.  OMG how I miss that!
--Thomas Jefferson

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 22:18
Today's pick - probably about 50 pounds or so

There will be some days when I get over 100 pounds.  Still no worms! 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 06:15
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Today's pick - probably about 50 pounds or so

There will be some days when I get over 100 pounds.  Still no worms! 

I usually can most of mine so I let them vine ripen till they look like the ones in the pink dishpan.  I cook mine longer than most canners and spoon off teh water to maximize the meat/pulp  per quart.  It's a lot of qork but making homemade Spaghetti and Lazagna is way better.   Good lot there no blimishes!
--Thomas Jefferson

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 10:51
You southern boys drive me crazy.  My tomato plants are only 1 1/2 tall.  Can't put them out any sooner due to we have a killing frost yet in late April.  Nice looking tomatoes Sakomato.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 10:56
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

You southern boys drive me crazy.  My tomato plants are only 1 1/2 tall.  Can't put them out any sooner due to we have a killing frost yet in late April.  Nice looking tomatoes Sakomato.
In Pennsylvasnia the rule is never plant before Mother's Day.
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 16:58
Just got my tom plants out a week ago. We've had so much rain I couldn't till the garden. The wife makes great sauce with them. Last year as my wife was making her sauce, we had hurricane winds come through and it knocked out our power; we lost all of it Really Sad.
Nice mators sak!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic