OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with scopes for elk gun Tikka T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSTRX450R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with scopes for elk gun Tikka T3
    Posted: May/29/2009 at 08:54
I recently bought a Tikka T3 lite stainless steel in 300 win mag for elk hunting and need opinions on what scope to put on it. I am leaning toward a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10X50 B&C reticle or a VX-II 4-12X50 Long Range reticle or a Burris Signature in 3-12X44 Ballistic plex reticle. I want a scope with the B&C reticle or a ballistic plex reticle, also I want a 50mm objective. Should I put a silver scope on this gun to go along with the stainless steel barrel or should I go with black with silver rings or just all black. I would just like to hear your experiences and opinions. Thanks
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 09:00
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 09:53
One thing to be aware of is those ballistic reticles will only work properly on a specific magnification range. (unless you gather the bullet drops for multiple mag ranges and measure the different marks on the reticle at those magnifications)  Meaning if you find all your data for a round on 10x then you can only use it on 10x.  If you put the scope on 6x then they will not work the same as on 10x and you point of impact will change. 

Those reticles really are not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion.  A guy can certainly learn to use them and use them well, but they are not as simple as the manufactures make them out to be.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:18
Kahles 3-10x50 or 4-12x52 from the Sample List...
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:30
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X42 would work well on a 300 Win cannon.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:38
bushnell 4200 with the doa ret. i have the 2.5-10x40 one a .300 wsm.  40mm is plenty good for low light + its less likely to get hung up on brush or scaberd.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:45
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Swaro AV 4-12x50 with BR reticle.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8617-278-swarovski-4-12x50-american-riflescope.aspx

+1

My woods gun is a Tikka with a Swaro (BR reticle) and I couldn't be happier.

Take the rings that came with the rifle and throw them away, they are pure crap, can't handle the recoil.  I recommend Talleys.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:54
I have both the 3.5-10x50 Leo and the 3-12x44 Signature. I would take either over the VX-II, the glass is a step up with both. I think between the VX-III and the Signature, it's a toss up. Both have been reliable and solid performers for several years now.
I have matte scopes on all of my stainless rifles. It is easy on the eyes for me. Some SS finished scopes don't match up with the finishes on some rifles. I also use matte rings.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by KSTRX450R KSTRX450R wrote:

I recently bought a Tikka T3 lite stainless steel in 300 win mag for elk hunting and need opinions on what scope to put on it. I am leaning toward a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10X50 B&C reticle or a VX-II 4-12X50 Long Range reticle or a Burris Signature in 3-12X44 Ballistic plex reticle. I want a scope with the B&C reticle or a ballistic plex reticle, also I want a 50mm objective. Should I put a silver scope on this gun to go along with the stainless steel barrel or should I go with black with silver rings or just all black. I would just like to hear your experiences and opinions. Thanks

Does it look anything like this?

And what Tahqua said about stainless is good advice, matching a scope's stainless to a rifle's stainless is tough - and usually results in something less than ideal.

It is a great gun!  And if you want a brake that really works on it, I gotta guy...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 11:23
For elk, a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 or the Kahles 3.5-10x42 should be a good range and quality scope.  That is unless you are hunting Roosevelt elk in the rainforest.  In which case, a 1.8-5.5-40 Zeiss Conquest might be the ticket.
CDR3
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:19
I have a T3 Lite in 300WM and from experience your first priority (after installing a Limbsaver) should be eye relief. 300WM from a 6.3lb rifle is a whole new world of recoil. At no point would I want to be less than 3-1/2 inches from the scope, and it doesn't look like the Burris 3-12x44 SS gives you quite that much. I have a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 on mine and I'm very happy with it - but it has better eye relief than the 3-12x44. FWIW my Burris is sitting in a DedNutz low mount. In my opinion the factory rings just suck way to much for use with a heavy recoiling rifle.

Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope                                                                             Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
SWFA: $459.95

Edited by sholling - May/29/2009 at 13:22
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:31
The DedNutz setup looks sweet!!  Thunbs Up 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
chuck danger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:40
I had a Burris Signature Select 3-12x44 Ballistic Reticle mounted on my .270.  I thought it was an excellent scope although I did notice it seemed to have issues with a little bit of lens flare when the sun was low.  It was a rock solid piece of equipment though.  I have another one mounted on a .22-250 and it is also working quite well.

All that being said, I recently traded it in for a Kahles CS 2.5-10x50MZ on the samplelist and I am not sorry I did so.  I was impressed enough with the Kahles that I bought a second one for my 7mm Remington.

All of THAT being said, I probably would not hesitate to buy that Burris again if I wanted a quality scope for a reasonable price.
chuck danger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:42
BTW, black scope on a SS action-  no question.  I'm not a fan (aesthetically) of silver scope on SS rifles.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:44
I almost forgot, in my opinion a black scope with black rings on looks better on a stainless rifle than three mismatched shades of silver.  
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 15:51
+1 for black scope and rings, also think a 40mm scope is plenty for light gathering.  I also believe any of the scopes in the $400-$600 range will provide you with a very satisfing sight picture. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 16:06
LEU66820 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $409.95
More Info...
With the Long Range Duplex there are two dots below center and you zero the center crosshair at 200 and test the hold over points at 300 and 400 and test the point below that where the crosshair goes from thin to thick for 500 yds.  With a fixed power there is nothing to be out of adjustment.  There is no issue with BDC only working at the highest power and not being useable at a lower power and needing to dial down to a lower power in low light to brighten up the scope. With this you pick it up and shoot it get more power and you cant hand hold it or use it to shoot the quick close shots, get less power and its not enough to shoot at 400 to 500 yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 16:10
LEU59270 New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope                                                                                   New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $639.95
More Info...
Option #2 with this you dial in correction using a low profile knob that is marked to correspond to  the balistics of your rifle cartridge and you put it on #2 for 200 yds #3 for 300 yds etc and it holds true no matter what power the scope is set on. This is much better than a balistic reticle that only works at the highest power.  

The only thing you gain by going from 40mm to 50mm is that it is brighter one power higher in low light so it's not a big advantage and the 40 mm usually gives a better cheek weld.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/29/2009 at 16:11

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 16:12
My own preference would be the fixed 6x42, for exactly the same reasons Urimaginaryfriend stated---lus the fact that I have killed big game with various versions of that scope from very close to pretty far.

But I also realize most people want a variable these days. On that light a rifle I would choose whichever scope has the longest eye relief. By the way, the eye relief on the new Leupold 3.5-10x VX-3 doesn't vary much at all. I have tested it on two of them and only found .4 inch between 3.5x and 10x, which is as good as on most scopes that advertise "non-varying" eye relief.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic