OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scopes
    Posted: May/27/2009 at 12:14

I'm looking to buy a Nikon Monarch or a new Leupold VXIII. Which one would you recommend? I want a scope that is clear at dust.

bama
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:09
Either one will do the job. The new VX3s from what I understand are a little better in low light.

However, Leupold has the advantage with more scope selections in variable magnification ranges, fixed powers, reticle choices and sizes. There are alot of selections from Leupold to better match the scope porportionally to your rifle, to better or properly match the scope to the cartridge you`re using and to better match your overall type of terrain and hunting style.  And imo, the VX3 Leupy scopes, asthetically, are the best looking.

The Leupy customer service is excellent.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:15
Significant price difference betrween the two.  What is your budget and intended application?
God save the Empire!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:16
BTW!...... It`s a good thing that there is no,,,,"O",,,,in front of or on the left side of your user name!..............................Baseball Bat......................Laugh
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:36
I don't support him. That has nothing to do with the tpoic I posted anyway.
bama
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by bama bama wrote:

I don't support him. That has nothing to do with the tpoic I posted anyway.
.............Yeah I know!................But no sense of humor there????
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:53
You got me pretty good. I didn't know when I did my login name I would have to worry about him. He has along way to go to turn this country around.
bama
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:58

You got me pretty good. I didn't know when I did my login name I would have to worry about him. He has along way to go to turn this country around.
He is one reason why we have such a long way to go.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:00
Now that we got you softened up Barry what dollar amount did you have in mind?
God save the Empire!
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:08
Your right, he seems to not have a clue on what to do. Which most common sense people already knew that before the election.
My price range is $400.00 to $800.00
bama
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:15
$400 to $800? .................Ok! What rifle and what cartridge is the scope going on? Terrain? Game? Hunting ranges? Etc and etc!.......Thinking
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:20
200-300 yds. whitetail, mule deer.
bama
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:24
I`ll chime in later! Gots to head to downtown LA now, beat the traffic and get my Laker tickets for tonites game!....Basketball.................Camaro
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:36
Have you considered a Zeiss Conquest?  It's within your budget and better than the Leupold or Nikon IMO.

Edited by swtucker - May/27/2009 at 14:38
bama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 14:37
I haven't. I will buying a scope for my new 7mm.
bama
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 15:06
These are all pretty decent scopes, I have a personal affection for Leupold, but there sure isn't anything wrong with most of the scopes in this $400-$600 catagory.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 15:20
You may want to check the Sample List as well - http://www.samplelist.com/
There are a number of Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 on there for $300
Also Zeiss Conquests 3-9x40 for $369

Many other brands too.
God save the Empire!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 23:03
I'm sure B O would loan any of the American owned firearms companies bail out money.The new Leupold VX3 is slightly better than the Monarch in low light.I would pick the Leupold for quality and better CS.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 23:15
For low light, I would prefer the Conquest but the VX-III is very good.  IMHO, you probably would be well served by something in the 3.5-10X variable range.  You have not stated any scope size or weight criteria.
CDR3
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 12:11

200-300 yds. whitetail, mule deer.
.............A 7mm/08? A 7mm Rem Mag?...........Either cartridge even out to 400-500 yards (beyond your estimated range)would do very well with a 2x8 or a 2.5x8.

Well within your price range. You don`t necessarily need to spend up to your max dollar amount to get a great scope!

Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36
Zeiss Conquest 2-8x32

Versus the 3x9`s or the 2.5x10s, which are perhaps two of the best all around for hunting variable magnifications, I have a deep liking for the 2x8s and 2.5x8s. They are a little better on the low end for shorter range woods work with a wider FOV, while still giving the magnification needed out to the longer ranges just like the 3x9s and the 2.5x10s. They are generally a little more compact (shorter) depending on the scope and lighter than either as well.

Remember this too! A few if not most hunters, including myself, will seldom if ever use more than 6x for our longest of hunting shots. The more you magnify your scope onto a target, the more the scope wobble will be. We all have it. Excessive wobble or movement delays your shot requiring more settling time. When your brain sees (via your eyes first) less wobble or movement through the scope, you are more apt to fire your shot with greater certainty while taking less time.

To better reference my point with regards to scope wobble, there is a video with Wayne Van Zwoll that I need to find. I can`t remember where it is, so I have to go find it. After I do, then I`ll reference it on my next post here on this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic