OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Graduation Gift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stylinj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graduation Gift
    Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:50
Well, I'll start off by saying that I recently joined this sight but you guys have a ton of knowledge that I am trying to utilize. I've been reading various posts over the past few weeks but I decided to create my own. I just graduated college and my grandfather gave me the money to buy the gun I have been chasing, a Remington SPS tactical 308. I got a good deal on it ($550) from gunbroker and now I need some glass to put on it. The main problem that I have is budget. I am looking at around the 350-450 price range. I know that thats not much to work with but I need a very reliable starter scope. I want to do some longer range target shooting eventually (400-500yds) but I may also do some hunting with the rifle.

Right now I have basically narrowed it down to 2 scopes; either a Nikon Monarch with the turret knob accesories put on or one of the SWFA Super Sniper in the 10x magnificaton. If there are any others I should be considering please let me know. I like the mil-dot reticle but the BDC isn't bad either.

I also have a couple of questions about things.
1. What is the advantage of having the side parallax/focus instead of the rear focus?
2. What is it going to be like if I try to hunt with the SWFA SS being a fixed power?

Any and all feedback or recommendations are greaty appeciated.

Josh Hall
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:54
Hunting will be pretty tough to do with 10x.  You could wait for a while for the new variable SWFA SS that is coming out soon.  It will be a little over your budget but it will be worth it.  It will allow you to use it for hunting and for dialing in longer shots.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 23:49
good advice

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 23:55
 +1   Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 23:56
Y'all heard something on the pricing of the vari-SS? Come on break out with the info? Sorry about the hi-jack!

Edited by billyburl2 - May/26/2009 at 23:57
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stylinj000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stylinj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 00:14
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Hunting will be pretty tough to do with 10x.  You could wait for a while for the new variable SWFA SS that is coming out soon.  It will be a little over your budget but it will be worth it.  It will allow you to use it for hunting and for dialing in longer shots.

Is there any idea on the release date?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 12:17
Originally posted by stylinj000 stylinj000 wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Is there any idea on the release date?

"Soon"!

They are actually in-hand at SWFA, it is now much more than myth!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 17:03
Personal preference will vary, but I like no more than 2.5X out to 100 yards. (At 10X on my scope an elk would fill almost 3/4 of the FOV). So I consider 10X to be my 400+ yard magnification. I'd wait for the variable SS or choose something like one of the Bushnell 3200/4200 3-10X/2.5-10X 40mm scopes.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stylinj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 19:55

Thanks for all of the input. What advantages are gained from using a side focus scope?

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 20:02
It is easier to keep the gun mounted or at ready with the side focus other than that just personal preference, and they are this generation of optics I think the front adjustable objective will soon be phased out?  and I would go with a variable to start out.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 21:21
 I've heard that side focus was developed at the request of military snipers, who thought it helped in preventing the compromising of their concealment vs. reaching way forward to turn the objecive bell, resulting in more hand movement to give away their position to the enemy.
 Side focus is nice for benchrest  or other target shooting, but it is one more projection sticking out of the rig to catch on stuff while hunting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 08:32
Be advised, if you are a lefty, side parallax adjustments suck.  It is overcome-able, but it takes some effort.

Having used both side- and front-parallax adjustments, I find that a finer adjustment is possible with the front- and it seems easier to get it right with the front-, but side is convenient (for a righty.)  Clarity and light transmission also are usually better on the front-adjust, since they need fewer lens elements to accomplish the same task.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stylinj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 13:38
Then do you think it is worth the extra 50-75 for the side focus. I know that mostly its personal preference but I just want to hear your thoughts.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 14:29
If I understand the original question: side focus and objective focus affect the image focus at a particular distance, rear focus or ocular focus affects the focus of the reticle to your eye. I'm not a cetified expert or a current pert (i,m a prepert), but I think this is right.

I have both a side focus (on a Zeiss), and an objective focus (on a Leupold). I find the side focus much easier to use and not as confusing.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 16:14
Yea, "focus" ain't the best term to use.

Parallax and focus are not synonymous.  I would explain, but ILya would tell me I said it wrong, so I'll let him explain.

The focus at the ocular sets the clarity of the reticle but does not adjust the clarity of the target (or shouldn't be used to.)  There are versions of rear-parallax scopes, the Super Sniper is one example.  Most parallax adjustments are on the objective or the left side of the center housing; in that, you are correct.  There are a few rear parallax scopes, but they too have focusing oculars to focus the reticle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Be advised, if you are a lefty, side parallax adjustments suck.  It is overcome-able, but it takes some effort.

Amen! A monkey and a football comes to mind.........Bucky  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic