OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hair cut?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 09:18
Silver, before I started to shave my own, paid $10 to $12 at the local Great Clips. 

Spent $15 got a shaver and the attachments and now I shave my own, and give Dad and brother cuts as well.  Filthy buggers don't even bring over beer anymore.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 10:59
I pay for my sons haircuts, which are 14.00 dollars.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 11:04
My wife cuts my hair so there are two ways of looking at it.  Costs nothing or costs a LOT.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 11:12
The last hair cut I paid for was .75. It cost so much I have been doing my own ever since.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 11:16
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

I shave my head so its free - Big Smile  <------ kinda like this!

I think we need a real pic! Big Grin
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 11:58
Well now!
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 13:09
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

My wife cuts my hair so there are two ways of looking at it.  Costs nothing or costs a LOT.

Oh your paying a lot for it and other things as well..........Wink
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 21:46
Around here (southcentral Pennsylvania) there are both salons and private home based shops.  The shops help keep the prices down.   What  they charge a man for a hair cut is usually very high $15+ considering a good barber or stylist should be able to take only 10 minutes.  That equate to about $90hr.  I think anything over $10 for a simple man's cut is robbery.  They also charge extra for shampoo and blowdry ($3+$2) They won't explain the pricing to you unless you ask a lot of questions.  They always try to give you the Poo&dry unless you specifically say not to.

Men's prices are NOTHING compared to what they charge women.  Women's simple cuts start at $40 and the sky's the limit.  My last girlfriend was a manicurist at a high end shop and for the "treatment" Facial, Manicure, Pedicure, wash cut & style Started at $250.  It totally blows me away how much women can spend on one-time short lived physical appearance enhancements that last at best 2 weeks.  Then they would drop $20-50 tips.
I was picking up my girl once and this old lady (late 60s+) was just cashing out and her bill was only $25, I said something to Sylvia about how cheap her bill was only to find out it was over a Wash set & dry.  No cutting or perm just a shampoo, blowdry and combout! $25!!!  Turns out they have several older women that come in once or twice a week just for this cause they caught lift their arms overhead cause of arthritist.  I found out my mom does it weekly.  $100 a month just to wash and set her hair.  Thts above and beyond a monthly trim $60.  No wonder some of the stylists in that shop made 70-90K a year!  What a racket!!!

Edited by budperm - May/27/2009 at 21:49
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 23:04
I'm getting to the point soon I will have no hair to cut! got that Fryr Tuck patch coming on strong.  Shocked
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 23:18
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I'm getting to the point soon I will have no hair to cut! got that Fryr Tuck patch coming on strong.  Shocked

Ouch!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 06:23
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Its all right, you've earned that and the grey, James! 

Just don't let yourself get the Fryr Tuck spare tire like I have! Whacko
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 00:42
I'm a  Licensed Cosmetologist  I just dont do it for a living. Believe me those people doing womens hair earn every cent. If you think women are a trip wait till your trying to do their hair. They want to look through magazines and pick something out that their hair simply wont do and tell you this is what I want. They mean make me that girl , boobs and all- it cant be done. Those shampoo set deals are shampoo it twice then add conditioner then put styling gel in it all over and set it with rolers pop them under the dryer take the rolers out and brush it out and use a pick and comb to style it with lots of back combing to build height those can be a pain too and take as long as a haircut or longer but they come back every week and get perms every three months and haircuts once a month so they spend a lot of money and once they have someone who does it the way they like it they are yours till they die.
Same with color get it right and they are yours forever. As for cuts and styles women are fickle going from short to long to short never satisfied with their hair style.  I'd rather cut a guys hair any day.  I had an old barber that told me -- you need a book to look of styles - youre in the WRONG place! If I never do another pedicure it will be too soon, and I'd just as soon not do nails or perms unless its a spiral perm and the girl is smoking hot.
Hair school was a trip. I was the only guy there for a long time then one day this guy and his wife show up on a Harley and she's a cosmetologist and he's asking about barber classes. I walk in the office to empty the trash and the owner  who was a smoking hot blond about 30 tells him - Oh Wes would just Love to have another guy here.  He edges back behind his wife obviously uncomfortable......  A week later he started class and told me one of the happiest days of his life was when he found out I like women. Turns out he was an ex federal agent also.  We had a good time I dont think either of us would have survived it alone.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 06:42
7.00 a month. But seriously thats plenty for a mil cut. 4-5 minutes and back on the road. Fell for the salon deal back in my 20's. Petty girls always tellin how "You have the nicest hair, I just love cuttin it for you". Yea, and that 15.00 in the register don't hurt none either. Sucker! Male ego, whatcha gonna do?
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 07:08
WES, you are a brave man.  I say that because I don't think your a fool.  To divulge that you are a licensed Cosmetologist in the OT is highly risky IMO.  Some here could easily use that against you in a ~ attack.  If I remember right, I caught the picture you posted of you and your son leaving SWFA.  You definitely don't look the part, you look more like the husky hard working farmer type.  I do agree with most of what you say about the trials & tribulations of giving them what they want or pleasing them.  In retrospect I can see where that would definitely deserve some HAZARD pay.  It is also most likely why so few hetero males do it! 
I made the comment once to my girlfriend (the manicurist) that I now understood why so many women come across so loopy.  She asked what I meant and I told her the anybody that spends more than 10-15 minutes in a busy shop has to be high on the Perm and manicure chemicals and in all likely hood had some form of brain damage.  I was half teasing half serious. 
Well, wouldn't ya know it but I said it too loud and it was overheard.  I was literally run out of the shop by a lynch mob.  I was quite comical.

My frustration and ire were not aimed a the shops but more at the women's spending habits.  Its the age old argument between males & females.  Yes males spend money and as we get older our toys get much more expensive, but ya know what???  besides the fleshy toys, most man toys are durable goods and if properly cared for will last years if not our lifetime.  Women on the otherhand, most of what women spend money on with the exception of maybe jewelry, is gone is a flash and has to be continually replaced. 

Sorry for the rant, I am a little jaded to say the least. Embarrased  I've walked away from more than one relationship after seeing the gals closet stuffed with clothes and shoes all over the place, cosmetics everywhere.  Between my mind set and being blue collar I just can't afford and refuse to tolerate that behavior.
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 07:34
I actually enjoy cutting hair. Not wild about styling it which is why military haircuts are cheap the less of a pain in the ass the haircut the cheaper it is. Time is money. After years of being SWAT I probably needed something to give me a different perspective. One thing we used to do that the girls were shy of was use the earring guns on little girls Steve would get on one side and I got on the other.  Bam done all at once.  Beats hell out of trying to do one ear at a time with a 2 yr old and neither one of us had any problem polking holes in someone.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 07:41
"neither one of us had any problem polking holes in someone"

For some reason I have no trouble believing that............
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 08:06
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

"neither one of us had any problem polking holes in someone"

For some reason I have no trouble believing that............

The picture of two big burly exSWAT guys accosting a 2yr old girl with earring stud guns puts me off just a tad. Shocked

The price of 'pretty' knows no bounds! Whacko
--Thomas Jefferson

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 11:09
the only difference between a good haircut and bad one is 2 days...
I went to a military school, The Citadel, for undergrad--haircuts in 30 seconds max!
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 12:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'm a  Licensed Cosmetologist  I just dont do it for a living. Believe me those people doing womens hair earn every cent. If you think women are a trip wait till your trying to do their hair. They want to look through magazines and pick something out that their hair simply wont do and tell you this is what I want. They mean make me that girl , boobs and all- it cant be done. Those shampoo set deals are shampoo it twice then add conditioner then put styling gel in it all over and set it with rolers pop them under the dryer take the rolers out and brush it out and use a pick and comb to style it with lots of back combing to build height those can be a pain too and take as long as a haircut or longer but they come back every week and get perms every three months and haircuts once a month so they spend a lot of money and once they have someone who does it the way they like it they are yours till they die.
Same with color get it right and they are yours forever. As for cuts and styles women are fickle going from short to long to short never satisfied with their hair style.  I'd rather cut a guys hair any day.  I had an old barber that told me -- you need a book to look of styles - youre in the WRONG place! If I never do another pedicure it will be too soon, and I'd just as soon not do nails or perms unless its a spiral perm and the girl is smoking hot.
Hair school was a trip. I was the only guy there for a long time then one day this guy and his wife show up on a Harley and she's a cosmetologist and he's asking about barber classes. I walk in the office to empty the trash and the owner  who was a smoking hot blond about 30 tells him - Oh Wes would just Love to have another guy here.  He edges back behind his wife obviously uncomfortable......  A week later he started class and told me one of the happiest days of his life was when he found out I like women. Turns out he was an ex federal agent also.  We had a good time I dont think either of us would have survived it alone.

Your ex-swat and your a licensed cosmo??  OHHH alright... If Wes can do it, I can man up too.  Truth is, I'm a lesbian........ I know... But there, its out... I'm proud of it.Howdy

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 12:17
Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep.
Scouter is fittin right in! WinkExcellent
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic