OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Tale of Two Rifles - Need Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 09:07

Another vote for the 4200 3-9x.

The recoil of the .338 Federal and .270 Winchester is just about identical, given equal weight rifles and 200-grain bullets in the .338 and 130's in the .270. This is what my shoulder feels and what recoil calculations suggest as well. In fact some people feel the .270 recoils a little more, mostly because its recoil is sharper, due to higher velocity.

Actually in my experience the combination gives quite a bit of hunting overlap. The .338 Federal shoots a lot flatter than many people would guess, and in my experience the .270 Winchester is quite adequate for game bigger than deer. I have seen it take a wide variety of big game both in North America and Africa and given good shooting (always the first prerequisite) and good bullets it has done quite well on animals like elk, moose, gemsbok, wildebeest, etc.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 09:18
Thunbs Up ya buddy! Thunbs Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:19
Take a look at the Sightron SII or Big Sky scopes...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:27
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

and in my experience the .270 Winchester is quite adequate for game bigger than deer. I have seen it take a wide variety of big game both in North America and Africa and given good shooting (always the first prerequisite) and good bullets it has done quite well on animals like elk, moose, gemsbok, wildebeest, etc.

Then you have ckk1106 who killed a nice bear last week with his .270.  Just another example of shot placement over the newest biggest gigantor round. 

I am all about the moderate calibers as well, a 30-06 or comparable round is big enough for anything in North America and in many cases even a lesser caliber is perfectly adequate.

I agree about the 4200, or the Sightron big sky.  I have both and they are pretty comparable in my book.  Both tough with decent glass at a decent price.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 12:37
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

The recoil of the .338 Federal and .270 Winchester is just about identical, given equal weight rifles and 200-grain bullets in the .338 and 130's in the .270. This is what my shoulder feels and what recoil calculations suggest as well. In fact some people feel the .270 recoils a little more, mostly because its recoil is sharper, due to higher velocity.

Actually in my experience the combination gives quite a bit of hunting overlap. The .338 Federal shoots a lot flatter than many people would guess, and in my experience the .270 Winchester is quite adequate for game bigger than deer. I have seen it take a wide variety of big game both in North America and Africa and given good shooting (always the first prerequisite) and good bullets it has done quite well on animals like elk, moose, gemsbok, wildebeest, etc.

This is precisely why I selected these two cartridges/rifles. I expect both to perform back-up duties for the other while still offering enough difference to make a clear-cut decision as to which is right for specific hunting applications.

Of course, taking the .270 Win on a pronghorn or open-country mule deer hunt is a no-brainer, as is taking the .338 Federal for black timber elk or moose in the alders. But there is more than enough overlap, as you suggest, for these rifles to perfom many of the same functions with similar recoil and effectiveness. The "back-up" function and overlap scenarios somewhat alter my normal thinking on which scope would be best on these rifles vs. if the same question were considered for each rifle on its own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic