OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Im a noob help me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Im a noob help me
    Posted: May/25/2009 at 03:43
G'day (Thtas Australian for hello)
  Im new to the whole shooting game and Im having a hard time finding a scope. Due to location problems I have to settle for target shooting although on occasion I can get to a farm for small vermin (rabbits, foxes etc) Im getting a Tikka T3 Varmint rifle .223 but have no ideas on wich way to go with a scope. My main contender is the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with fine cross + dot. From what I here they're as good as Leupold but cheaper, other contenders are the Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 Mildot, the Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 Mildot. Other brands Ive considered through opinions are Nightforce (the guy in the shop swears by it, but I think he was just trying to get rid of it) Counter sniper and Vortex. A friend of mine says that bang for buck they're not a bad scope, personally I'd rather spend a little extra and get something good, or is he right and they aren't bad?
Now I'm new guys so go easy on the insults, other than that any help would be appreciated!!!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 07:28
I think you would be happy with the Bushnell 4200. The Monarch line is nice but I don't like scopes with a 50 mm objective. I would take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes as well they are very well recommended around this place.

Oh yea and Welcome to the OT 

Edited by Monster - May/25/2009 at 07:30
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 07:50
I would go with 4200 md. great glass and the md ret. will be easer to pick up agenst a dark background. I know this because i have the fine + dot monarch, love the scope for punchen paper and pdogs. but it dissapers in the woods.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 09:32
We only insult Canadians and Bigdaddy................Bucky

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 10:12
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

I think you would be happy with the Bushnell 4200. The Monarch line is nice but I don't like scopes with a 50 mm objective. I would take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes as well they are very well recommended around this place.

Oh yea and Welcome to the OT 

+1   I think you'll be happy with Zeiss, Bushnell or Nikon.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:37

are you able to actually look thru the scope before you buy it?  If so, the scopes mentioned so far should be fine.... but pick one that "your" eyes like!

take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:54
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Monaro_Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 04:28
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

are you able to actually look thru the scope before you buy it?  If so, the scopes mentioned so far should be fine.... but pick one that "your" eyes like!

I can get a hold of the Counter Sniper the bushnell and the Nightforce, possibly the burris. But not the Monarch or the Vortex :(
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 05:17
If the Nightforce is in your price range....look no further.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 05:50
I had a look at the Nightforce prices and they are a bit high, as are the Zies I'm afraid :(. But the 4200 Bushnell is OK (My budget is about $600 U.S. dollars tops). Does the side paralax adjusment really make a difference, should I bother shelling out the extra cash for it? Also has anyone dealt with xxxx.com* hows their reputation is it ok or should I look elsewhere? Although I can look through some of the scopes over here it's actually alot cheaper to buy from the U.S. I save somewhere around $100 AU dollars :).

*edited to remove link to swfa competitor.  See rules;

Edited by Chris Farris - May/26/2009 at 12:46
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 06:18
I forgot to mention other online stores you can tell me if you've had dealings with, what about bluebazooka.com and 4scopes.com as they have prices that actually seem a bit too good to be true. For example bluebazooka have a weaver 6-20x40 for $523 AU whereas over here the exact same scope is $765 AU Hmmm
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 06:51
You may have a problem buying a scope directly from America as the USA has a security ban imposed on shipping optical equipment. So check first if they are permitted to ship.
I cannot comment on the Bluebazooka site.
When shooting at small targets a parallax adjustment can be beneficial. Whether you use side focus or the standard objective (front lens) focus is a matter of usefullness. The front focus will be a cheaper option.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 09:31
Your best bet in Australia is to buy one from a dealer there. The Bushnell scopes are quite nice but no where near the scope that a Nightforce is. I've been fairly happy with my Leupolds also and a fixed power FX3   12x40   like this one might be a fine choice at a reasonable price:
LEU66835 Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                           Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $559.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaro_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 02:05
Yeah the Leupold is pretty much the benchmark everyone seems to measure against, but they're bloody dear... I'll give you and example of price differences from here to there.
We'll use the Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 as an example.
Here price in U.S. dollars = $745
Best web price from there (U.S.) = $507 U.S. dollars
Even with shipping I'm still saving a couple hundred dollars and thats U.S. !!! I mean crickey with the change I could buy a reasonable scope for a .22!!

P.S. Sorry for posting the web name of competitor company it wont happen again :(
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 03:25
I also had to bite the bullet and by locally (South Africa) as USA would not permit shipping optics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic