OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Testing: Weaver Extreme vs Trijicon Accupoint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing: Weaver Extreme vs Trijicon Accupoint
    Posted: May/24/2009 at 09:06
I conducted some testing between the Weaver classic extreme 2.5-10x56 and the Trijicon Accupoint 3--9x40 with the amber triangle reticle

Intended use:
on my 6.8 AR for primarily hog hunting including night hunting

Test Environment:=
there's a field behind the house and I have two turkey decoys under trees at 85 yards, no artificial light

Results:
I could easily do headshots with either scope 30 min past sunset
so, for deer hunting either would be more than adequate

I could of have easily taken shots past when I could even see the decoy with my naked eye though head shots were iffy (quite dark)

the Weaver was a tad brighter and the extra bit of magnification was noticeable, either were totally workable

let it get REALLY dark and then used the TB High coverage red leds which according to kevin are good for 50-60 yards out and I could easily have killed it with either scope

at first I wasn't sure I would like the triangle reticle (had one on an ACOG TA33)  and I was just holding the scope in my hands trying to steady it on a rest..

yesterday afternoon I wrapped the tube in tape to protect it and mounted it on my Tikka 308 which is scopeless at the moment and then it came alive being mounted...

late in the evening in the drizzle as I was grilling on the deck there were some deer that came in to the field and I got the gun and practiced dry firing on em, neck shots were easy at 100 yards and even behind the ear shots would have been butter

made some loud banging noises and they took off and I was able to get on the shoulder area very fast and when the gun went "click" the triangle was were it was supposed to be

I also checked it out getting on stuff at close ranges, 10-30 yards and it was very fast to get on target, just snap shooting with both eyes open, no problem

read license plates at 250 yards in the drizzle and fading light

Summary:

in short, as a pure dedicated night hunting scope the bigger Weaver wins by a nose.. as I am sure the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with a dot would and probably a tad better than the Weaver as it does suffer a tad from flair

but for a general purpose scope the 3-9x40 accupoint is very, very nice, especially considering no batteries, no switches, great glass and low weight

the Weaver is a better deal with the prices on them right now..

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 09:10
Interesting, thanx for the info.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 09:47
Good info and I would like to see how the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 compares to the Weaver, too.
Thanks............... 
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 14:48
I own two Weaver Classic Extremes.I waited about a month after my friend bought one to see how his scope worked due to all the bad publicity that Meade had.For the money the Weaver is a good deal.My friend happens to own a Trijicon 3-9 and he liked the Weaver better.My experience with his scope is limited,I like the triangle reticle but I found the Weaver a bit clearer and brighter.I keep the dot on the lowest setting when hunting at night for coyotes.The optics on the Weaver are made in Japan by L.O.W. so your the optics are good. 
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 17:09
I have yet to really put it through its paces, but so far I really like my Weaver 2.5-10x56 and just picked up a 1.5-4.5x24 Weaver as well.  Couldn't beat the price, though I wish I could get a Vortex Viper with an illuminated reticle - the glass on them is superb.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 17:56
The Vortex Viper has good glass,the Weaver Classic Extreme sure have crystal clear optics.The Weaver is a little on the heavy side but the side focus 30mm tube makes up in durability.I have put this scope out in snow and rain and it never fogged up.The scope absorbs the recoil with no problem from a 300 WSM,never lost zero.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 19:45
I put the Weaver back on my Tikka 308, it fits right there..

i just spent some time with it mounted on my 6.8
I think I am done searching for the right optic for the gun

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 22:20
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

yesterday afternoon I wrapped the tube in tape to protect it and mounted it on my Tikka 308 which is scopeless at the moment and then it came alive being mounted...

...read license plates at 250 yards in the drizzle and fading light

I sure hope this didn't take place while it was still mounted to the rifle.

Or, that the license plates weren't attached to people's cars, especially if there were people in the cars.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 10:03
of course not
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 10:15
Just checking for clarification.  One can never be too careful.Smile
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 20:44
Good stuff, Coker. We appreciate your review.
I've got to try out one of those Accupoints soon.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 10:53
it's one of the few scopes I hadn't really checked out for some reason

I think they are a heck of deal when you factor everything in
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 13:14
I'm interested in the triangle reticle more than anything.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 15:37
yeah... I had an ACOG TA33 with the amber chevron on the 6.8 for a bit
I killed a deer and a hog with it but it covered a bit too much for me to feel comforatable taking 200 yard shots, I mean, no problem hitting a deer in the kill zone but I like to be able to put a bullet exactly where I want it...  

I was watching a cat the other night about a hundred yards out off the front porch (scope is in a QR mount) and could have easily popped it dead center in the head..

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 01:29
I use the tip of the triangle for aiming instead of centering the triangle on the target. For my use it's as accurate as anything else with the limited magnification. Both my primary rifle and my muzzleloader each now wear a TR21R with triangle reticle. One trick is to not let it glow so bright that it "blooms" and gets fuzzy.

Edited by jetwrnch - May/30/2009 at 01:31
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 11:40
As jetwrnch said, since you use the very tip of the triangle as your aiming point, you can aim as finely with the triangle post BAC as any other reticle style.  In truth, it obscures less of the target image than any other reticle I've seen.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic