OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Has anyone compared Kahles and S&B 4x36

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone compared Kahles and S&B 4x36
    Posted: May/23/2009 at 18:54
I am after a top shelf 4x fixed scope for night hunting rabbits and foxes (legal here). There is a new 4x36 Kahles at my local shop, but has anyone compared one of these with a Schmidt & Bender 4x36?
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 06:33
I have a Kahles, but have not compared it to an S&B (they can't be found in my area).  Anyone want to send me an S&B and I'll do a comparison...
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 07:43
IF you have found one of the Kahles then see if you are happy with it.  The 4x are not being imported right now into the US. On paper it has less eye relief, but a wider field of view, based on my recall of a spec sheet I can not find.  There is not that much differance on paper.  Nobody in at least a days drive has any S&B stock from where I live.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 12:19
The Kahles 4x36 weighs 12.6 ounces and has an eye relief of 3.15 inches.  The S&B 4x36 scope weighs 14 ounces and has a 3.31 inch eye relief.  Given the price difference, I would buy the Kahles.  The rub with Kahles is a lack of a scope repair agent in the US.
CDR3
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 16:10
I think that they should be very close. With a slight nod to the S&B. I am not sure what the price difference is in Australia or what CS is like for you though. The other issue to consider is the reticule choices. Plus I think that S&B may offer illuminated reticules. 
cr500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 17:37
I do like the extra field of view of the Kahles, it wont be on a big kicker so eye relief Isnt an issue. What I realy do want though is the brightest possible view for night hunting.
Schmidt and bender do not offer illuminated retircles in 4x. I wish someone did offer illuminated reticles in fixed powers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic