OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New re-loader!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New re-loader!
    Posted: May/23/2009 at 18:39

My new rock-chucker is set up! The bench is one that was already in my garage. Pretty sturdy though, top is made of 2x8's the rest is 2x6's and 4x4 legs. Decided to back the bolts up with a piece of 1.5x6x.25 plate steel just for added sturdiness. So what do you think?

Edited by billyburl2 - May/23/2009 at 19:09
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 18:56
Always alot of fun setting up a new reloading bench, hope you enjoy it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 19:34
Sorry didn't get the pics up at first!
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 08:21
sweet bench !!!!  one thing you will want to do is to get or build a seperate stand for youre powder thrower. that little step bench on top in the pic would work great . good luck and good shooting!
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 08:59
????????????Why a separate bench for the powder dispenser?????????  put the press on one side and the powder dispenser on the other.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 10:04
true i was thinking the the bench if he didnt have the stand for the thrower, he could take a spare locker nut from an old die set weld it to a plate and clamp or bolt to small bench. home made stand for the thrower.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 10:16
Nice set up Bill, you did real good with that kit.
I tried the same measure set up. Whatever you decide to do with it, you can C-clamp the measure bracket off to the side of your press for a short term solution. I liked that much better than mounting it on top of my Chucker.

Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:05
I am currently only loading one caliber. So I have not even used the powder tosser yet.I heard that IMR 4350 doesn't meter that well, so I have been hand weighing every load. Basically the tosser is were it is because I was getting ready to run some powder through it just to coat the parts as stated in the instructions. And to do some expirementation on the accuracy of the devise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:09
And the top shelf is not very sturdy. Just 20 ga. angle screwed together and capped with 1/2" plywood. Fine for storage, but not stout enough for moving parts.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:17
4350 as well as others meter just fine just not as precise as say WW/Winchesters or others that are of flake or ball type what happens with the others that are of a longer extruded shape is that they get broken or cut when the lever is pulled down I have never had a problem. I still weigh each and every charge leaving nothing to chance. if the load is not consistent I use a powder tickler to Finnish it off. Every now and then you have to dump the charge and do it over due to over charge this is why the weighing is important? Yes this takes more time but better safe than sorry.

Edited by rifle looney - May/25/2009 at 11:18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:22
I thought so as well. Just in my limited expierince, on borrowed equipment, I have never used the powder tosser. So its just got to play with the dang thing and get used to it.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:37
If ever not certain just ask here you will get the help you need and also Sierra bullets has a hot line that will get you going as well remember a dumb question is better than a stupid mistake?          1-800  223-8799.........8am-10pm weekdays     have fun- good luck

Edited by rifle looney - May/25/2009 at 11:40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:44
Cool!!! Thanks Alot R.L.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 14:17
if you ask a reloading question around here and nobody gives you an answer, you really screwed something up bad.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 14:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if you ask a reloading question around here and nobody gives you an answer, you really screwed something up bad.

-Either that or you're already far more advanced than any of us, and we find your question as baffling as one regarding quantum physics or something like that!
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 12:38
imr 4350 works in the powder thrower if you can get over the chrunching sound of cutting powder grains.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 02:57
Is that step-up bench for you to stand on. The table looks a bit high for you! (Sorry could not resist that!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 06:58
Thanks  8... No that is Joshua my youngest child (of three).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic