OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

illuminated or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackTheRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: illuminated or not?
    Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:17
pretty much decided I'm gonna get a Swaro Z6 2-12x50, but do you think it's worth saving up some more money and buying the illuminated version?

any pros or cons (besides money)

thanks!

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:28
What are you going to use it for?    
JackTheRipper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackTheRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:48
everything... when I buy things, I usually get something that's all around, I don't like buying 3-4 of the same thing...
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:56
Well, I have a new 3x10x42 Swaro American.. I love the scope and the Z6 is supposed to be from what everyone says even better.. Swaro makes great stuff, why not try the illuminated one? What the hell, Ive never had one but Ive been considering it just for fun..It will make the scope a little heavier.. Good Luck!

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 06:57
From my limited understanding, illuminated scopes really come into their own during very low-light and thick-brush shooting, especially at lower magnifications.  If you believe you will be doing a lot of that, then the extra cost and weight and complexity, not to mention needing to carry an extra battery around, isn't a bad idea.  I just got my first two illuminated scopes (Weaver Extreme Classics at closeout prices), though I've been using red dot sights for years on my military rifles.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 10:09
If your doing any night hunting you will want the illuminated feature.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 10:14
Check first that your state (or other places you would like to hunt) allow illuminated reticles. I verified (after buying, duh) that mine does. I don't know that I'll need it and it was low on the feature list but it does do the job in low light.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 11:42
 Coffee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 11:47
Mike,

Is that Coffee you are drinking or Tequila?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 11:50
Much of my  hunting is in low light or almost no light, so I almost always go for illumination.

If you are hunting hogs or other nocturnal (and dark fur animals), illumination is a great help.

My go-to deer rifle is a non-illuminated Swaro, my go-to "everything else" rifle is illuminated.

You will love the Z6, I've messed with them and consider them one of the bet I've handled.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 16:53
illuminated

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 17:33
with the Z6 illumination system this is a moot point
but I have returned scopes that were too bright, even at the lowest setting
personally, ill tactical style reticles are too much in the way for precise shot hunting
now, at war, trying to hit center mass shots fast in varying light conditions, that's different of course

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 17:40
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

personally, ill tactical style reticles are too much in the way for precise shot hunting
now, at war, trying to hit center mass shots fast in varying light conditions, that's different of course

Very good points.  Quality optics and good coatings for excellent light transmission makes for a LOT better change of hitting in low light than just an illuminated reticle.  My epiphany came when I nailed a small jackal in Namibia at 100 yards, in the dark, with only a weak headlight from an old Suzuki 4x4 illuminating him - this was with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 set on 4x - had the Z-plex reticle.  Ever since I've been a quality glass convert.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by JackTheRipper JackTheRipper wrote:

pretty much decided I'm gonna get a Swaro Z6 2-12x50, but do you think it's worth saving up some more money and buying the illuminated version?

any pros or cons (besides money)

thanks!

For the Swaro, yes... for MANY others, no.  Good quality scope with good quality glass there is no real reason to NOT get the illuminated reticle.  It is there if you need it, if it is not there, you may have needlessly lost out on a shot.  Cheaper scopes, IR is a crapshoot.  Sometimes WAY too bright even on lowest setting.  High quality scope, yes... medium quality, maybe... low quality, crapshoot to no.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 22:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

For the Swaro, yes... for MANY others, no.  Good quality scope with good quality glass there is no real reason to NOT get the illuminated reticle.  It is there if you need it, if it is not there, you may have needlessly lost out on a shot.  Cheaper scopes, IR is a crapshoot.  Sometimes WAY too bright even on lowest setting.  High quality scope, yes... medium quality, maybe... low quality, crapshoot to no.

Thunbs Up

And, the Z6 has a VERY good IR system!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 22:40
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I would disagree with the generalization but understand your point.  I am not a fan of busy reticles, but tactical scopes - good ones, at least - are all about precision shot placement.

The Z6 illumination system is fine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 23:05
I love the multiple day/night settings and the very effective orange illumination of the z6i reticles. Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 23:10
I like the way the IR controls are nicely integrated into the eyepiece too!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 23:10
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Mike,

Is that Coffee you are drinking or Tequila?

Well it started off as coffee but later that same day.......Bandito
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 17:20
Get it !!!

It is better to have it and don't need it, than need it and don't have it.

I have it in both a cheap BSA Platinium (Walther G22) and a expensive Zeiss Diavari,  on the BSA it doesn't work in the night as it is too bright, but in Zeiss is great, as most of hunting is in low light it has been  very useful for me to locate the center of the reticle against the dark silhouette of the preys (wild boars and deer), so it lets me focus on finding the shoulder (vitals) and I can pull the trigger faster.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic