OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kowa Spotters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kowa Spotters
    Posted: May/22/2009 at 09:48
Have any of you guys had the pleasure of looking through a Kowa Prominar, either in 88,77, or the 66mm spotters?  I know what I've read, but am specifically wondering how the view through the KowaTSN 664 would compare with the Zeiss 85 T FL.  Thanks.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 11:00
Yes!  I didn't have access to a Zeiss 85 to compare it to, but I distinctly remember subjectively thinking the Prominar 88 had the finest image quality I'd ever seen through a spotter.  All I can say is my immediate thought was "WOW!" when I looked through the Prominar, and even though the Zeiss is very nice, the ones I've looked through didn't "wow" me like the Prominar 88 did.  When I take my observations into consideration along with the several  glowing reviews of the Prominar 88 I've read, and the fact that it has pure fluorite lenses, I truly believe the accolades it's received are not hype.  I recall the Zeiss image being more fuzzy around the edges of the field than the Kowa.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 18:51
Hello guys I'd like to know your opinions of what would be your pick between these Spotters:

Kowa 664 ED with 20-60x  at $1,100 VS a Zeiss diascope 65 FL Non lotutec 15-45X for $1,200

I have not decided which one to choose yet and would like to get some advice.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by Agustinmx Agustinmx wrote:

Hello guys I'd like to know your opinions of what would be your pick between these Spotters:

Kowa 664 ED with 20-60x  at $1,100 VS a Zeiss diascope 65 FL Non lotutec 15-45X for $1,200

I have not decided which one to choose yet and would like to get some advice.

Check out the new Vortex HD spotters!!  Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - May/25/2009 at 19:21
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 21:24
AgustinMX, I'd like to know the same thing.   Mike650, while the new Vortex Razor is supposed to be pretty good, it is big, heavy, and only comes in an angled version, which is a deal killer for me.  Have you personally looked through one?  I'm personally very interested in that same Kowa TSN 664.  The dealer I talked to was very, very enthusiastic in recommending the Kowa, and he sold Zeiss too.  The reason I'm leaning toward that 664 is the zoom is 20-60x, and the Zeiss 65 T FL is a 15-45x.  I'm told the Kowa can very much handle the zoom to 60x.  I'd like to hear from folks who've looked through it. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 22:16
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

AgustinMX, I'd like to know the same thing.   Mike650, while the new Vortex Razor is supposed to be pretty good, it is big, heavy, and only comes in an angled version, which is a deal killer for me.  Have you personally looked through one?  I'm personally very interested in that same Kowa TSN 664.  The dealer I talked to was very, very enthusiastic in recommending the Kowa, and he sold Zeiss too.  The reason I'm leaning toward that 664 is the zoom is 20-60x, and the Zeiss 65 T FL is a 15-45x.  I'm told the Kowa can very much handle the zoom to 60x.  I'd like to hear from folks who've looked through it. 

Yes, I'm pretty sure looked through the new HD Vortex at a show in Dallas a couple of months ago and I was very impressed. I didn't notice it being big and heavy but it was on a tripod, not side by side next to a Zeiss, Kowa, Swaro etc. I am familiar with the price of those spotters though which also impressed me about the Vortex.

I liked straight vs. angled too!! Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 15:53
Let me just start from the begining:

I have tested most of the scopes existent on the market in the upper region. At the present time, I believe there is no scope that matches Kowa Prominar 883/884 20-60x88 HD. The only one that is almost there is Zeiss Diascope 20-60x85 T*FL. I believe that if the Zeiss have had a 88mm lense instead of 85mm it would have been just as good, but the bigger diameter makes Kowa clearer and sharper than the Zeiss.

I owned a Zeiss myself which I now sold and bought myself a Prominar HD 883 20-60x88. Mounted on a good and stable tripod is a mean machine. I managed to spot all the planets except Pluto with it and that tells a lot.

However wen comparing the Kowa 664 with Diascope 65, well, the Zeiss is actually sharper, but as previously stated, the Kowa has a better magnification. However, I would not put too much weight into that as you would not be able to use that magnification sucessfully. With 88mm -yes, but with 60mm -absolutely not. The image is not gonna be fun to watch. It's the reason Zeiss chose to use 15-45x. Not because they couldn't, but because it don't work.

If you want 20-60x you've got to move up to 80mm, 85mm or preferably 88mm.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 18:50
BobinKy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobinKy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 08:22
In my opinion, the maximum quality view with the Kowa 66mm series (or any 60-65mm size scope) is 30x. If you are looking to scope at 60x, go with the Kowa 88 series.
-----------------
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic