OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS with Kill-Flash Horrible Image?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calestus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS with Kill-Flash Horrible Image?
    Posted: May/21/2005 at 16:55
I just recently bought a SS10x42, haven't got a chance to shoot with it, but I like it allready.

With my scope I also snagged an ARD (Kill-Flash).  Is the ARD supposed to trash the image? Inside screwed on looking threw a window the image is acceptable.  As soon as I go outside....no matter what direction i face the image goes south.  Everything has a ghost outline and wierd color around it.  Like when you were a kid and looked threw very cheap plastic lenses.  Take the ARD off and the image becomes nice and respectable.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is it supposed to look this bad?

Thanks!
Erick

Edited by calestus
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2005 at 17:21

no, usually the image distortion is slight/tolerable but degraded enough for me to prefer a sunshade.

There is also some light attenuation or darkening of the optical image.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2005 at 17:49

If the honey comb portion is not set in its housing straight this could happen.

Can you visually see anything unusual or damaged on the ARD?

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2005 at 22:06

First have you attempted to camo or paint the ARD? If so the paint is too thick. If you havent something with the ARD is jacked up (off set or canted). I've had them on many different rifles/optics and never had a problem (myself). I saw a mangled up one that made it where the was zero visibility when it was installed. Try a different ARD. ARD's are not an all encompassing fix. They are designed to reduce down range observation of the glare from the optics objective lense. While they will work as an improvised sun shade, if you want to reduce inside glare use a sunshade. Any time you place a screen (which is basicly what an ARD is) in front of a lense will reduce optical clarity and light gathering.

Joe

calestus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calestus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 12:46
Nope this was removed from the package and went straight on the scope.  No painting.

It looks fine to me.  Doesnt look canted or broken, that I can tell.  This is the first time I have seen one so I don't know what they are supposed to look like.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 21:31
Unscrew the thing and then screw it back on.  I have one on my SS10x42 and it actually doesn't affect light gathering by a whole lot.  I only noticed a very slight difference in brightness when I installed mine.  Did you get the Tenterbrax or however it's spelled kill flash or another kind?  Good choice in scope by the way.  Kill flashes have their use but the sunshade does well too.  I actually have both on mine.  Why?  Because I could.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2005 at 13:30

INTERESTING

The post set me thinking.

I've just removed the KILLFLASH I had on my HORUS (in the interests of experimentation) and the IMAGE most certainly improves. MUCH CRISPER AND BETTER COLOUR BALANCE WITHOUT IT ON.

I'd never used the scope without it on before. I have a big screw in one from Tenebrex and it's perfect.

I need to spend a bit of time on this - but what I've just seen (now I've looked to see what the difference is - I cant say I'd noticed before) are lots of images slightly offset from each other. This is like a diffraction grating effect - and it makes some sense as that's what it (killflash) in effect is. It looks a bit "fuzzy" and there is edge spectral rainbowing (very slight).

I'm going to deliberately readjust the scope WAY OFF optical centre (tomorrow if I get time) and see what happens.

QUESTIONS

When you were testing outside.

Were you in the sun or in the shade?.

Was what you were looking at sun or shade.

Was it dull, light, sunny or very sunny?

I was stood in the Garage - looking at things VERY WELL LIT in BRIGHT sunlight.

I guess the question will be - WHY DID YOU BUY IT? 

If it was to avoid being seen (reflections) then I guess you'll have to live with it.

I wanted a short sunshade - I see me making something up and putting this in the cupboard.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2005 at 12:50
There are a couple of things that could be going on here. One - out of focus highlights take on the maximum shape of the aperture. Two - you may be getting some flair from light striking the honeycomb grid of the anti-reflection device and being reflected onto the lens. In any case if you don't like it and haven't altered it and feel it is defective send the sucker back.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
LittlefieldK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittlefieldK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2005 at 00:25

Mine did the same thing, it was unusable

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic