OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old friends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old friends
    Posted: May/21/2009 at 19:14
I didn't know you guys liked horses... of course these almost don't qualify, just pets.  Bar is 28, Classy is 30.   
Bar:

Classy:

Bar and Classy:

Bar is a registered half Arab/half Quarter horse and can trace her lines back to 3Bars.
Classy is a registered POA/Arab... she can't trace her lines but she is pretty classy.

Edited by Kickboxer - May/21/2009 at 19:19
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 21:30
Good looking horses for how old they are.  I am not a fan of letting them wander around with a halter on though.  Saw on the had go its shoe caught in the halter.  Kicked itself to death trying to get it out.

Anyway, a few of my friends.  This is Roy.  He was a lot of fun to work with.  A true mustang.  Has the freeze brands to prove it too.  Best horse I have even ridden.

Me and Roy guiding.

A few of the other horses.  Roy, Blaze (behind me on the right), Paint (rear), Tom (front)

The pack string of a successful hunt.  And the outfitter.  In order - Ugly (he had a nasty attitude, but was a good horse to ride) Blaze (another mustang), Billy (a mustang was trying to break him for riding.  Had a few rodeos with him!), Paint, Jack (Jumpy Jack), Tom
And I just have to throw in a good view!  Big Smile

Edited to add names for the horses.

Edited by helo18 - May/21/2009 at 21:47
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 21:38
KB - I like them, but know nothing of them.  For their age, would agree they look pretty good.

You and your pictures Helo........

Edited by SD Dog - May/21/2009 at 21:39
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 06:01
Man the scenery makes you sick dosen't it?  Sick with Envy!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 09:13
Nice photos as always, Helo.  I hope to view some of those scenes with my own eyes in the near future.  
The horses were out in my back yard, no fence... Classy is the "lead horse".  Bar will always come if I have Classy's halter and sometimes I have to be able to capture Classy, ergo the halter.  
They come out there and eat every day.  They love Bermuda grass.  Cuts down on lawn mowing, too.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:00
They do make great lawn mowers!  Just watch out for the fertilizer! Big Smile

GEORGE WASHINGTON
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 23:51
Im glad you guys like to share your pics! I loves horses, used to have a couple when I was alot younger.. The country in Montana, if thats where the pic was took, looks alot like Eastern Oregon where I live. I cannot ride any more and I would take a good ass kickin to change that fact.. LOL!
JF
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 06:36

Dan, since you own a 3 Bar, I'm sure your familiar with the name "Sonny Dee Bar"? He was a great horse with a terrific disposition.

I worked a ranch in IA where Sonny was owned and boarded.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 06:37
Magnificent pics, as usual, Andrew!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Dan, since you own a 3 Bar, I'm sure your familiar with the name "Sonny Dee Bar"? He was a great horse with a terrific disposition.

He's a monster.  Looks like quite a horse. DEFINITELY a quarter horse. Bar took a lot of the Arab qualities... a bit lighter boned, but much faster than most quarter horses (when she was younger) and maintained the 'quarter horse sense".  She's been a really great horse... hate to see her get old.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 09:35
 Great thread.
 Horses are one of the few animals I've ever become emotionally attached to the way many people are about dogs and cats. I've spent some of the best and some of the worst times of my life on horseback in the same general part of Montana as Helo's pics.
This is why I'm always griping on him about making me "homesick" by posting his Montana pictures! 
 The outfitter I worked for back then owned about a dozen pack and saddlehorses of various breeds and rented another couple dozen for the hunting season from Lonnie Mantle, then in Wyoming, I believe. I got to (HAD TO!) ride most of them, except for a few that simply couldn't be saddled and one ancient old mankiller (literally) that NOBODY was allowed to ride. Ever. 'Old Dun' had killed one and crippled two or three guys in his past by suddenly (and VERY purposfully) flipping himself over backwards on them. Why my boss even had him on the place, I'll never know.  I think he just felt a compassion to provide a place for him to live out his life in the company of the other horses he owned. I understand that Dun was a champion cutting sled racer when he was a young horse, but he was around 40 when I first saw him. 

Most horses are kind of plodders in the mountains, especially after the first hour or so on the trail, but every once in a great while you come across one that makes you feel like you are riding an eagle. I've been priveledged to have ridden two or three such horses in my life. One of them was my boss's personal saddle horse named Snip, and one other was a rented mare I really regret not buying, but I had no place to keep her then. I still miss that horse!
 Incidently, both of them were very small animals; in fact, I could touch my heels together under Snip's belly while riding him! He flew up and down those mountans all day long, (my boss  was a big man, and his saddle was fully rigged and pretty heavy too)...incredible endurance!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 12:56
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

He's a monster.  Looks like quite a horse. DEFINITELY a quarter horse. Bar took a lot of the Arab qualities... a bit lighter boned, but much faster than most quarter horses (when she was younger) and maintained the 'quarter horse sense".  She's been a really great horse... hate to see her get old.

He was a handsome gent and gentle as a lamb. Boy, the things he would do to the "dummy" in the semen retrieval area was legendary.. Bucky  He was a lover, thats for sure. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 12:59
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Great thread.
 Horses are one of the few animals I've ever become emotionally attached to the way many people are about dogs and cats. I've spent some of the best and some of the worst times of my life on horseback in the same general part of Montana as Helo's pics.
This is why I'm always griping on him about making me "homesick" by posting his Montana pictures! 
 The outfitter I worked for back then owned about a dozen pack and saddlehorses of various breeds and rented another couple dozen for the hunting season from Lonnie Mantle, then in Wyoming, I believe. I got to (HAD TO!) ride most of them, except for a few that simply couldn't be saddled and one ancient old mankiller (literally) that NOBODY was allowed to ride. Ever. 'Old Dun' had killed one and crippled two or three guys in his past by suddenly (and VERY purposfully) flipping himself over backwards on them. Why my boss even had him on the place, I'll never know.  I think he just felt a compassion to provide a place for him to live out his life in the company of the other horses he owned. I understand that Dun was a champion cutting sled racer when he was a young horse, but he was around 40 when I first saw him. 

Most horses are kind of plodders in the mountains, especially after the first hour or so on the trail, but every once in a great while you come across one that makes you feel like you are riding an eagle. I've been priveledged to have ridden two or three such horses in my life. One of them was my boss's personal saddle horse named Snip, and one other was a rented mare I really regret not buying, but I had no place to keep her then. I still miss that horse!
 Incidently, both of them were very small animals; in fact, I could touch my heels together under Snip's belly while riding him! He flew up and down those mountans all day long, (my boss  was a big man, and his saddle was fully rigged and pretty heavy too)...incredible endurance!

Good story, Ron. I've often longed to move out West and live that life.  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 13:30
 I was in my mid twenties then, and if I had chosen to remain there, I'm quite certain I would be dead by now.
No regrets, but I am glad I got a chance to at least taste the 'cowboy' (sort of ) life. 
 I wish you guys could have sat around the evening campfire with me and the other guides after we had packed in and set up an elk camp, and listened to the stories our boss told about his life. He was pretty much orphaned/abandoned at the age of thirteen and took to guiding hunters as a living, eventually becoming one of the more successful big-game outfitters in Montana.
 He had a great sense of humor, a near-photographic memory, and a lifetime of amazing adventures to tell about.
 He was of Irish descent, and it only took a couple Black Velvets to get him talking!
 I consider him one of the most remarkable men I've ever known.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 13:35

I was in my mid twenties then, and if I had chosen to remain there, I'm quite certain I would be dead by now.
No regrets, but I am glad I got a chance to at least taste the 'cowboy' (sort of ) life. 
 I wish you guys could have sat around the evening campfire with me and the other guides after we had packed in and set up an elk camp, and listened to the stories our boss told about his life. He was pretty much orphaned/abandoned at the age of thirteen and took to guiding hunters as a living, eventually becoming one of the more successful big-game outfitters in Montana.
 He had a great sense of humor, a near-photographic memory, and a lifetime of amazing adventures to tell about.
 He was of Irish descent, and it only took a couple Black Velvets to get him talking!
 I consider him one of the most remarkable men I've ever known.

Cool Dude, sounds like one of those people you just want to be around to hear the stories!

Curtis Lowe, Curtis Lowe (Lynnard Skynard)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 13:46
So true!
 I really need to give him a call. I haven't heard from him in a while...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 14:11

So true!
 I really need to give him a call. I haven't heard from him in a while...

This is the perfect weekend for it!  Drop him a line!  I'm sure it will put a smile on the old guys face!
--Thomas Jefferson

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 22:24

Great thread.

Good story, Ron. I've often longed to move out West and live that life.  

Come on out Mark!

Ron,

Sounds like you were describing my horse, only mine is a little bigger than Snip.  Roy (my mustang, or really the outfitters, but I consider him mine) will just not stop.  Go all day in all terrain and still have energy left!  He is also very sure footed.  Never fell and rarely slipped.  He was the smoothest horse I have ever ridden, and his normal walk as about 5 1/2 miles an hour.  He could cover some serious territory.  Had to slow him down for the other horses.  He was also very smart.  New every trail, every spot we normally stop, new elk and to stop when he saw them.  I love that horse.  They all have their own personality and are so much fun to work with.  And he was only 5 years old when I first started with him, and was somewhat green broke.  I had so much fun working with him.  Stubborn like me, but such a great horse.

And the memories of the outfitter.  He was 72 when I started with him.  So many stories, and so much wisdom!  Best job and the best boss you can have.  And a great cook!  Never had a bad meal with him even if cooking over and open fire.

Thanks guys, now I can't wait for guiding season to start.  I hope I get to do it this year!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 23:09
I've ridden horses all my life.  Bar and Classy are my wife's and daughter's horses, respectively.  My horse was Shalaka Khan, out of Bar (our Bar) and Shalako (Shalako was sired by El Shaklan, the European Champion Arabian in the 80's).  When I was young, I rode racing quarter horses, but Khan had more speed "out of the hole" and overall than any horse I have ever been on.  He was magnificent, spirited, a desert horse, would not be beaten.  He is the only horse to have ever scared me with speed and power.  I've ridden him all day through the desert at speeds most horses could keep up for only minutes, not because I wanted to, but because he wanted to.  When he wanted to run, I simply had to let him go, I could not easily stop him (I never rode him with a bit in his mouth... used a bosal or side-pull hackamore) unless I just halted him completely and got off.  It was like he was always trying to impress me with his prowess.  My wife could ride him and he would never take over from her, never tried once.  When he was but three years old he developed an enterolith in his intestine... said to be caused by alphalpha hay, which is all we could get in the Mojave Desert where we lived at the time.  Days before I was to ship him to Auburn University to have surgery to remove it, he died.  I did all I could to save him... it just was not enough.  It was a great loss to me, he was a great friend... one of the "great" animals I have known.  I think of him all the time, wish he had made it to Alabama.  He would have loved it here.  I have not ridden since he died.  

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 23:22
I would love to let a horse go as long as he could running.  I got to let Roy run flat out for about 30 to 40 miles once.  He is the fastest horse I have ever been on.  I know there are horses faster, but he would make your eyes water from the speed.  He also could turn on a dime.  I only ride him with a hackamore.  Should work him with a bit to see what he does.

Dan, I am sorry you lost such a good horse.  Hate to loose them, and especially when you are attatched to them.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic