OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley QD's or Lightweights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley QD's or Lightweights?
    Posted: May/19/2009 at 23:23
I'm fixin' to mount my new Super Sniper as soon as I decide which of these to go with.  I might very well be moving scopes around and the next one could be a 1" tube. 

I've never messed with QD's of any kind.  Do they hold just as solid as a standard 'permanent' system such as the Lightweights? 

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 09:44
The Talleys do. In fact they are one of the mounts Nightforce recommends in the literature accompanying their scopes.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 18:02
Wow!  Thanks, John.  I suppose if they're good enough for Nightforce they're good enough for me.Thunbs Up
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 19:52
If you "need" to remove and re-mount the optic, get the QD; if that is not a need, do not get the QD.

The lightweights are great, no need to get a ring with a lever that can be hit at the wrong time.

Sometimes people need QD, most times, it's just something else that can cause problems at the worst possible time.

BUT, if you had to get a QD, I too would recommend Talley, I am a huge fan of their stuff.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 20:23
You can get the "screw lock" rings which are the "QD's" minus the levers.  If it for a typical hunting rifle I like the look of the "fixed". If weights an issue the "lightweight one piece".

Edited by mike650 - May/27/2009 at 18:56
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 10:25
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

You can get the "fixed" rings which are the "QD's" minus the levers.  If it for a typical hunting rifle I like the look of the "screw lock". If weights an issue the "lightweight one piece".

Which ones are those?  Are you talking about the split ring Talleys?
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 10:27
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you "need" to remove and re-mount the optic, get the QD; if that is not a need, do not get the QD.

The lightweights are great, no need to get a ring with a lever that can be hit at the wrong time.

Sometimes people need QD, most times, it's just something else that can cause problems at the worst possible time.

BUT, if you had to get a QD, I too would recommend Talley, I am a huge fan of their stuff.

Does the lever on the QD's unscrew, or is it more of a cam lock type of system?  i.e. A quarter or half turn thing?
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 11:06

The levers on the QD's unscrew.

Actually the non-detachable steel Talleys are vertically split on the bottom, with dovetails on each half that clamp to the base.

The QD's have a small plate on one side that's loosened so the rings can be detached. This plate can be fitted with either levers or a Torx-head screw. Either way they are still detachable.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 11:38
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

You can get the "fixed" rings which are the "QD's" minus the levers.  If it for a typical hunting rifle I like the look of the "screw lock". If weights an issue the "lightweight one piece".

Which ones are those?  Are you talking about the split ring Talleys?

Oh did I screw that reply up!! In my haste I got the "fixed" and "screw lock" reversed.  Embarrased

I meant to say:

The "screw lock" are the "QD's" without the levers.

http://www.talleyrings.com/screw.php

If it for a typical hunting rifle I like the look of the "fixed"

http://www.talleyrings.com/fixed.php

Talley Website

http://www.talleyrings.com/

lightweight one piece

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

QD's

http://www.talleyrings.com/quick.php

Edited by mike650 - May/21/2009 at 12:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 12:25
Thanks to you all for the help!

I believe I'll go with the QD's with the screw lock system; versatility without a lever to snag on things.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:35
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

Thanks to you all for the help!

I believe I'll go with the QD's with the screw lock system; versatility without a lever to snag on things.

I have the screw locks and lever rings on several different rifles. They are rock solid and the machining is top drawer.
I use them on rifles from 22-250 up to .375 H&H and I have never had a problem.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 12:48
Go with the Talley screwlock setup. You won't regret it. I have put a lot of 338 WinMag rounds downrange through a lightweight Tikka T3 with a fairly heavy Kahles 3-12x56 scope mounted in Talley screwlocks with no issues. That rifle has a bit of snort. The scope is as rock-solid as the day I mounted it, the zero has never moved.

Good shooting!

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 11:27
I have yet to be disappointed in anything Talley.

I owned the QD and fixed and prefer the fixed, there are tricks to mounting vertically-aligning rings, I prefer the "old school" horizontally joining rings, and I like the look of them better.  But, as I said, I own both and ahve never had a problem with the vertical rings - once they are mounted properly.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 18:50

Yeah, I have the same preference, but if you work with the Talleys for a while they are easier to use than they appear the first time anybody uses them.

One thing that should be mentioned is that if a scope doesn't end up properly aligned with the rifle's bore when mounted in Talley rings it probably isn't the fault of the rings. Usually the problem is inexact polishing of factory actions. This is why Talley offers the service of machining the bases of their steel rings or undersides of their Lightweight rings to line everything up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 08:41
I did not know that, thanks for the info.

Thus far, I haven't needed it, but nice to know it is available, should the need arise.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 09:09
Yup, they are a full-service scope mount company!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic