OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Odd question, and a bit of a challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd question, and a bit of a challenge
    Posted: May/20/2005 at 14:46

OK, I am about to receive my new Pocket Rifle.  For those of you in the dark, it is a Ruger 10/22, folding stock, 5.5" barrel, and suppressor.  Intended for short range QUIET removal of pests.

What scope do you think would work best on it?  Give the range (it will be firing 60 gr. Aguila SSS (Subsonic Sniper) rounds from a 1:9 twist barrel.

Effective range perhaps 50 yards (max 100 - and that is stretching it).

Would I be best suited with a simple red dot?  I'd like some magnification for accurate placement of shots.

What would you suggest?

Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2005 at 09:48
At 50m (even more so 100) I'd want magnification. What SORT of pests? and how agile are they?. I'd have thought a GOOD 6, 8 or 10 power scope would be the thing to use. I use a fixed 8 power at 30m a fair amount for magpie control.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2005 at 15:06

I'm thinking moles, voles, rats, birds, squirrels, rabbits, feral cats, etc.

Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2005 at 00:40
Originally posted by greywolf greywolf wrote:

I'm thinking moles, voles, rats, birds, squirrels, rabbits, feral cats, etc.

SMALL STUFF INDEED - You might need a bit more mag. Like 16 even. And I think with the SSS you'll be challenging yourself to hit things like VOLES at 100m! - it has a hell of a curved flight. At 50m I'd be happy with a good 10mag.

Here's what I'd do. Narrow down a few makes you like - look at the "field of view" values they offer at the distance you'll be shooting (In general it's declared for 100m/yrds - for 50m - halve the value. Take the approx size of your prey and see what percentage of the field of view they'll be at the range desired.

If a moving "target" fills between 10%->20% of the fov, in general, I find it works best (FOR ME). If you prefer more or less "free space" adjust accordingly.

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 23:42
How about a 3-9X rimfire scope?
chuckkilla View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2005 at 10:38
Would you really get enough accuracy from a 5.5 barrel to use 16x? Somehow I doubt you could get to 100m accuratley. I would stick with a 3-9 for the animals you describe. Weaver and leupold make good ones.
esldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2005 at 22:26

I have a different set up though for similar purposes.  A relatively powerful PCP air gun.  It is useful on the small

critters to 50 yards.  I used a 4-12x B&L with an AO allowing focus and adjustment up close.  But see, all those

critters you mention tend to move.  The AO was just a bit too far from KISS. 

Now I have a Weaver R4 4x28mm scope.  This is a quite good optic with parallex for 50 yards.

It also has unusually good depth of field.  Meaning even quite close the image is focused well

enough to use.  Doesn't fix any parallax, consistent head position does that, but the image is

usable.  I find it to be much more effective at least to 50 yards.  4x is enough for 50 yards.

4x is enough to 100 yards too, though maybe not for small mice or small birds.  My PCP rifle just

won't quite get it there without lots of elevation however.  Had the optic on a 22LR for a time.  It

will work even for 100 yards except for the smallest of your expected prey.  Believe me, a handy

small gun like you are going to have, KISS is golden.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic