OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Premier Reticles scope and others!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 22:07
thumper is going to be a lapua 338ai
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:38
If price is no object, I have difficulty believing the Premier will be better than (or even equal to - optically speaking) the Hensoldt.  Having not yet handled a Hensoldt, I can't say for sure, but very knowledgeable people, whose opinion I trust, say it might be worth the $$.

I've heard it is easier to get behind than the Premier - not that the Premier is bad, but you do have to hit it just right.  Swaro and Zeiss (Z6 and Victory) have a larger "sweet spot" than the Premier - but when you gt behind it right, the view is fantastic.

In your consideration, the Hensoldt deserves a look.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 16:15
where i find Hensoldt? and what power to they come in? and how sell it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 19:18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 19:19
And the power ranges:

3-12
4-16
6-24

They even have a 6-24x72 with integrated ballistic calculator.  I hope to test one soon!

When money is no object...
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 15:40
Yeah, I'd really like to get my hands on one of those Hensoldts to check out.  It's nice to have them available here finally as they're certainly another top level choice.  One nice thing is they're quite a bit more compact than the others for the power range.  Whether they offer anything more to make me spend the extra money on, I don't know.  I'd need some time with one.  One thing missing (IMHO at least) is a reticle with 1/2 Mil marks, which I find very useful.  It's possible they have one availble and I've just missed it though.

Sorry Hotspot, I haven't played with any of the Z6's either, so I can't compare the glass though by all accounts it's pretty darn good.  They are going to be a lot lighter than the tactical scopes we've talked about here and may be better suited to what you're looking for as they probably are for most hunting rifles.  Their ballistic turret and reticles are certainly workable and would allow you to reach way out there but have their limitations as well. 

Since an AI 338 isn't exactly like "most hunting rifles" that may or may not interest you at all.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a hunting scope mounted on one.   If you really want to stretch its legs as most owners seem to, you'll likely find the greater internal travel, more versitile turrets and reticle, etc of the tactical scopes useful.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 16:44
Well, it is good to see you around here again, JonA......I guess, I haven't been reading where you have been hanging out.....Thunbs Up         
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 17:52
Jon, would love to hear your experiences with the Premier now that you've had it for a while.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 18:08
Heh, thanks.  Don't worry, you haven't missed much.  Over the last couple months most of my time has been hanging out under the hood of this thing:

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 18:27
Nothing really new on the Premier since Hunting season.  I've only shot it a few times since then--actually I think it still has blood on it.      Wink

I will be doing a bunch of shooting with it out to all sorts of crazy ranges next month if I can find some bullets.  These shortages are pissing me off.

Anyway, about the only thing new since then is they now offer double turn knobs and will replace mine for free if I like.  I'm somewhat undecided at the moment as I don't dislike the single turn nearly as much as some people, but I think I'll probably end up doing it.  Especially on the windage knob, which you hardly ever turn very far, the clicks are sort of ridiculously close which might bother me if I didn't usually hold windage.

But that's about it.  It's simply a fantastic scope in every way you can think of for its intended purpose.  And undercutting the Germans by a grand or so makes it all the more attractive.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 20:53
my premier didnt even have to get here before i decided to sell it. i got too good of a deal on it to pass up so thats why i bought it. there is problems with the scope itself and the company in general.

the scopes were having issues before it even got to market, and current ones are having issues of returning to zero. 3 friends that got theirs before me ALL have this issue. as soon as they started having the problems i ordered a nightforce F1 and decided the premier would be sold once it came. the scope weighs entirely too much, and the glass isnt that great. if it didnt have issues returning to zero it would be a $2000 scope IMO but it is not a $2500 scope.

the problems i have with the company is they were in a very hard time, pretty much out of money, and betting the farm on this scope. this is no secret it was talked about on the hide. pretty much if this scope didnt succeed that would be the end of premier reticles. so if this scope has serious issues (already having some) eventually they wont be able to afford to fix them and customers will stop buying and when they go under then people are stuck with a $2500 paperweight. i guess it is good they were honest about putting all their $$ into the production of this scope and their future being at stake on the success, and basically saying if it doesnt succeed they dont succeed, but you dont tell people that then ask them to drop $2500 on a scope with them.

that said, i love my nightforce F1, and my S&B's.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 21:36
Wow, I haven't been hearing that at all!

ON 12 May, Frank (aka Lowlight) said this of Premier:
"I'm still using mine on a regular basis, I actually have it on an IRA-10, and it's holding up well.

So far, no issues have come down the pipe since the prototypes and all the productions ones I have seen are working out great for their owners.

As far as we are concerned, Premier addressed any issues we initially found and no problems have been recurring or even repeated to the best of my knowledge, the double turn seems to be working great for all those with em.

You have to give props to Premier for entering the market with a first rate optic."

What are you reading and where - and said by whom?

My Premier has been spot-on and the glass is among the best I've seen.

Please be more specific on the "return to zero" problem: not running a box, not holding, not going back after a simple dope change?

To my knowledge, Premier has addressed every concern and issue in a rapid fashion and has been very, very in tune with what the community requests of them.

I am, thus far, very, very happy with my Premier.

"there is problems with the scope itself and the company in general."  Please elaborate - more on the scope than the company.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 21:44
im not reading anything anywhere my experience comes from what ive seen with my own two eyes not what somebody on the internet claimed.

the problems with the scope. well the first problem that i have personally witnessed was them returning to zero, thats the only real big problem i suppose. the other problem i see with the scope itself is it does not seem like a $2500 scope to me.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 22:24
Hmmmmm....  Get Your Popcorn Ready
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 22:34

another thing that was pointed out to me by somebody "in the know" (not naming names). ever notice the grease on the inside of the tube? i have. i has told (from somebody in the know) that this was to collect dust inside of the scope. somebody obviously doent have a very good clean room.

ohh and did i mention the resolution on the glass sucks? they do try to camoflauge that though by coating the hell out of the glass and giving it a nice and colorful picture. i got to look through one behind a PVS-22 then compare it to a S&B behind the PVS-22... not impressed.

the grease inside really doesnt effect the peformance of the scope, or atleast it doesnt yet and i dont see how it could. but get the knobs right, get some better glass and lower the MAP to $2000 and it will be a good buy, but i still wouldnt buy one just becuase of the company and their ethics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 07:43
As with everything, mileage varies.

The glass in mine is great, haven't put it behind NV and will not be, so that doesn't bother me.  I have run mine next to an S&B (PM 2)and my image was noticeably sharper on the edges and a touch brighter.  Have extensively compared it to my USO, the Premier has better glass, no question.

I like the turrets - not as much as the USO EREK, but I don't like anything as much as the EREK - and the illumination and parallax systems are fantastic.

Some metal finishes, over time, slough dust, and glass-etched reticles are famous for attracting that dust.  That grease is in the tubes (I haven't verified it's there, just accepting your ascertion)  to grab the dust is not a problem for me, since I have had to return a scope to have the dust cleaned off the reticle (not Premier).  It's got nothing to do with a "clean room."

I don't know you, bro, not grinding an ax, but you seem to be throwing out allot o' unsubstantiated remarks.  Yours not holding zero, I get that, no problem, you knowing 3 guys whose scopes, all 3, didn't hold zero - that's a lower probability event but not beyond possible, the generalization that all Premier scopes are having problems holding zero, I know that one ain't right.  I know several owners, including a few here, who have had no such problem.  And I know a rather large community of owners, probably owners of most of the scopes sold thus far, who aren't seeing this.

Again, for the good of anyone who wanders in: you had a problem, your 3 buddies had a problem, I see no mention of any interaction with Customer Service, and you decided to stick with Nightforce F1 (a great scope, I might add, definitely among my favorites too), all is fine with you now.  IN contrast, Premier has made many new owners very happy by producing a product with great glass, very accurate and precise adjustments, and a scope that is strong as hell.

Milage varies.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 09:27
i never tested mine, the 3 friends with them arent having problems holding zero, they are having problems returning to zero after running the knobs, i have seen/heard no problems with holding zero fromt he scopes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 09:27
To further clarify my previous clarification:

I have talked with a Premier engineer about the post this morning.  Your 3 friends have not reported their problem to Premier, nor did you, nor has the person who purchased your scope (assuming it had a similar issue.)

Had this been another " all (insert name here) suck", I would have glossed over it.  As the Premiers are new - and I own one and soon might own another - I did some digging and have found absolutely nothing to substantiate your claims of problems with the scope.

I ain't saying your 3 friends aren't having a problem, every mechanical device can have an issue; but why have they not had Premier address the issue?  In the past, when the few problems have arisen, they have been addressed ricky tick.  How is it your 3 friends with $2,500 optics aren't concerned about getting those $2,500 optics in good working order?

At the moment - as in all moments past - I am exceedingly pleased with my scope, and know many other owners are too.  Yea, there have been a few hiccups, but they have been fixed. 

Tell your 3 friends to contact Premier and the problems will be evaluated.  What your 3 friends see, no one else with a Premier (that I can find) has seen anything similar - with poor optical quality or losing zero.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 09:28
Premier recommends your 3 friends send their scopes in to be looked at.

The problem seems to be specific to your 3 friends.

Thus far.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 11:30
i have told them to send their scopes back to be looked at because it should be returning to zero. its their scopes though so they will do what they want, they could use it as a tactical ass wiper for all i care, i dont see why they wouldnt send them back to be repaired though because it is afterall a $2500 scope.

if you want another one, ive got one that will be here any day ill sell you, and i wont make you pay $2500 either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic