OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Premier Reticles scope and others!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier Reticles scope and others!
    Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:50
hi just wondering other peoples opinon on this scope, agianst schmidt&bender,swarovski
uso,zeiss and others! the thing is iam looking for the best one for my custom hunting rifle 338lai  and scope in and round 5-25-56   or soooo!
i need a scope with the best of everything not some much just for the range more for low light hunting!  and lots of power please give your advise!  thanks  cheers!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 00:54
Ok you are using a 338 Lapua  Accuracy International to hunt.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/29/2009 at 18:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 06:44
You asking a question about a track record that does not yet exist.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Ok you are using a 338 Lapua  Accuracy International to hunt.  

What he said.

As for the specific attributes of Premier vs. USO vs. S&B vs Swaro vs. Zeiss:

Do you want a tactical scope or a hunting scope?  They differ greatly in form and function.

I own all listed scopes (except the S&B - but have used) an like each maker and model for specific things.

Do you want the most expensive, the most heavy, the most blinged-out?

If the question is, "Are Premier scopes any good?", my answer is yes, very!  They are, as stated, not proven in long-term usage, but they are tough, the glass is great, the turrets are great, the reticles are great, the re-zero feature is great, the adjustments are spot-on, the illumination system is great, and when issues have arisen, they have been quick to make the needed and requested changes. 

As it is very new, no one knows how it will function long-term; however, Premier stands behind their scope and I would have little reluctance recommneding it for a hunting rifle (but would not yet recommend for a real-world tactical gun yet.)

In my opionion and to my eyes, the Premier glass is as good as my Zeiss Victory 3-12 - and that is no small complement!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 22:05
i am looking for the best long range hunting scope!  and the best GLASS!! for dusk to
dawn hunting!!  weight does not matter!!Big Grin
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 22:57
All of those scopes mentioned are top notch only you can say which is the best its would be that close. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 23:56
Dusk to Dawn = Nighttime.
What do you want to hunt at night with a cartridge that is best suited for daylight long range sniper work.
Sorry but the type of game you hunt and distance to target are very important to know to make a wise choice of optics. Night suggest low power like an aimpoint red dot or a Trijicon.  I really question the choice of cartridge for anything other than long range military sniper work because they are heavy guns slow to acquire the target best used in a fixed position.  Not a good choice for  targeting dangerous game like 
Bears etc that may require you rapidly target the animal without a rest in self defense.  This is what I would put on it if I had a 338 Lapua and could afford to do so.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 09:16
Get Your Popcorn Ready
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 19:52

Not a scope for night time hunting!!  for early morning and just before night time, that dusk to dawn hunting!!  but i could hunt at night because its legal for natives to hunt with a light!!  LOL!!!  PLEASE just lookig for some input for my next scope for my 338lai

thanks  cheer!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 14:01
You would not be disappointed with USO, S&B, or Premier.

USO and S&B have well proven track records, Premier is pretty new to the game.

Of the 3, I like Premier's illumination system best, And USO's EREK elevation knob (for feel and markings), but Premier's glass is better than USO's, at least to my eyes.

Buy one, mount it, and see what you think.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 14:55
I haven't compared the 5-25's, but I have compared the S&B 3-12 to the Premier 3-15, most features would translate over I expect:

Both are fantastic scopes, no doubt.  Any of the scopes in that price range should serve you very well most items come down to personal preference.

In short, I preferred the Premier over the S&B virtually every way and would choose it even if they were the same price.  Being so much cheaper, the decision is a no-brainer for me.  I can't think of a better scope for your application than the Premier 5-25 at any price.

No, it doesn't have the long durability track record of the S&B yet, but I believe it will come.  Unless you're shipping off to go "hunting" in the sandbox, I would not worry about it given their good CS and how well the scopes are doing so far.

Edited by Jon A - May/26/2009 at 14:58
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 18:57
thanks for the reply i wonder how the premier scope will go agianst schmidt&benders new one 15-50x56 i think i could be wrong on the one but is a big number?
ans swarovski new 5-30x56

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 07:30
25X is allot o
 magnification, 50X is ridiculously high.  If you are a 1,000+ yard BR shooter, I can understand it.

I have no need or want for a 20X or higher, too much magnification can be a bad thing.

And I agree with Jon, the Premier is a great scope, tough to beat at any price.
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 14:28
does any know when the 5-25x56 is out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 16:37
Rumor has it they are out in June - plan on August.

Chris has more details than have I.
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 17:21
sorry  chris who?  cheersSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 17:32
Chris Farris, our benefactor, the owner/operator/supreme patriarch of the OT and SWFA.

Or something.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 17:35
hotspot --- lets touch on some basics.  How bright a scope is depends on the exit eye pupil size.   for a fixed power 6x42 scope you take 42mm divided by 6x which gives you 7mm and that 7mm is as bright as you could possibly use. Now look at a 10x42   42mm divided by 10 gives you 4.2mm which is still fairly useable in low light. Now look at 16x42   42mm divided by 16 gives you 2.6mm which is going to look like you just put on two pairs of sunglasses at dusk.  High power is not always your friend.

The weight of the rifle can really work against you if you are having to carry the heavy beast through the woods.

Caliber selection is also important as too little gun can mean that you get eaten by a bear or merely wound game,  and too much gun can be unplesant to shoot, carry and expensive to feed and more difficult to find ammo.  It is not without reason that some cartridges are more popular than others. At most a 300WM or 7mm mag or .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H would be the heavy cartridges most suited for hunting.  Even then a medium contour barrel not a heavy target barrel is a more plesant choice.

I suggest you put a Super Sniper scope on the .338LM and use the difference to pick up a hunting rig in say 30-06, 300 WSM, or 300 WM with a fixed 6x42 Leupold long range duplex.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hotspot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 19:32
thanks for your input i already have bush gun 30-06 !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 20:45
For a large, heavy gun to be used from supported fire positions on game, I can think of few scopes as well suited as a Premier (I'd get the 3-15, 25X is simply unusable except in the most controlled of circumstances. )

If it were a lighter weight gun, I'd say (and did) never a Premier; for a big heavy, Premier is fine.  What caliber is the new thumper?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic