OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buying Reloading Equipment, Maybe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying Reloading Equipment, Maybe?
    Posted: May/18/2009 at 17:16
Hi,

Maybe a little guidance? I used to re-load many years ago on a couple different friends equipment.. They are gone now and besides I would prefer to buy my own, my son will use it also. As Ive posted recently Im getting into hunting again. Prices of ammo IF one can find it sucks!!!

I will reload for a 7mm mag. 270 wsm, 223 cal., maybe a 243, and probably 45 auto.. I understand I can reload for 1/4 of the cost of factory ammo??

I do not intend on shooting every weekend just on occasion and I want to build up a large stock-pile of 223 in approx 69 gr match hollow points..

So what do you guys think I should buy????

Thanks!
JF   
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 17:53
I like RCBS and Lyman with Hornady next. If it were me I'd start with a RCBS Rockchucker press, or one of their kits. I prefer Lyman dies, but that's just subjective. There are other things you may want to add later, but you will figure that oyt as you go. Grab hold of the catalogs of the above companies and look them over. The nice thing is most of the equipment is interchangable.
Don't forget to pick up a couple (or more) reloading manuals. These will help greatly.
Have to go now! 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 19:10
I started with the RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit.  I would highly recommend it as a good starter.  One plus is that kit comes with the Speer reloading manual.  I like my Hornady 7th edition manual.   A few items that are not in that kit that you might want to get, is a case trimmer and a powder trickler.

If you are going to load a lot of rounds for the 45 auto or for an ar-15 you might want to look at a turret press.  For my regular loads, I just like the regular presses.  Just my opinion.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:12
  I think you might actually eventually want two separate presses. It sounds extravagant, but a progressive press is really almost a necessity for high-volume pistol reloading, and a single-stage is really nice for larger cases, case-forming, etc.
  I can highly recommend the rather unique Forster Co-Axial for the single stage. 
 Buy as many manuals as you can afford first. They will help you make the right decisions on equipment choices for your needs, as well as providing step-by-step guidance and useful load data.
 Must-haves are the Hornady, Lee, Hodgdon, Lyman and Speer.
 The Lee manual is one I think everyone needs. It is a real gem, and low-priced to boot. It's a little biased toward Lee equipment, but all the others are biased toward theirs, too.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:20
I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but now is a crappy time to get into reloading as supplies are in high demand and almost impossible to get right now, not trying to deter you just letting you know so you don't get discouraged when trying to purchase ...powder,bullets primers, and brass the equipment is easy to find just not the ammo components.  
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:51
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but now is a crappy time to get into reloading as supplies are in high demand and almost impossible to get right now, not trying to deter you just letting you know so you don't get discouraged when trying to purchase ...powder,bullets primers, and brass the equipment is easy to find just not the ammo components.  

Given the poltical and economic uncertainty we are facing, NOW is as good as time any. I think that in about year or so you will see prices up a third and less selection.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:59
I agree with Ronk, +1 Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 21:07
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Given the poltical and economic uncertainty we are facing, NOW is as good as time any. I think that in about year or so you will see prices up a third and less selection.

if you cant buy the goods you cant reload. that's all I'm saying!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 22:37
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Less selection? I think we are already there if not worse. More like no selection!
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 23:02
Well, Thanks Guys! I will slowly start looking around for equipment, powder etc. I have some brass. I will just take it easy. I appreciate all of your experience and support...
Truth be known Im afraid we get to a point where we cannot even buy some of this stuff at all. I hate to be parinoid but one never knows what out Government is up to.. I want to have the ability to create my own ammo if need be....Just in case! Sounds kinda crazy I know.

Thanks!

JF
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 05:29

Sounds more rational than crazy to me,  just look at how hard it is to find loaded pistol ammo, reloading would solve most of these problems.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 09:02
The components are available in abundance, if your willing to pay the price. I find everything I want on gunbroker execpt reasonable prices. So I decide what I want to buy next and try to get it on as low a bid as I can manage. Paying 50.00 for rifle primers was insane six months ago, but if you want primers what are you going to do. I no longer see reloading as saving money on ammo, but just a means of having it. Anybody got some powder recipies. I'll start making my own powder if it comes to it.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 23:29
+1 for the Rockchucker for the long guns.  As for the .45acp or other handguns I couldn't be happier with my Dillon presses.  If the .223's are for an AR-15, I'd consider a Dillon for that one too.

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 23:31
On a side note fellas; I'm still getting primers for mid-20's to mid-30 dollar range from my guy.  It just depends on what their for, but I've never paid more than 35 bucks.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 17:37
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Hi, 

"So what do you guys think I should buy???? "

Thanks!
JF   
 7mm Large Magnum Rifle Primers,  .223 Small Rifle Primers,  .45 Large Pistol Primers
 .243 Large Rifle Primers,  Varget,  IMR 4350,  RL 15,   Unique  (.45)
Until you have two bricks of primers (2000) and 8  to 10 lbs of powder or more  dont even think of buying the rest of the equipment. (you can always trade it or sell it to someone who reloads)  If you cant get the primers you cant make the bullets.  By the time you buy all the equipment it will cost you so much that you probably would be better advised to buy several hundred rounds of factory ammo for each caliber.  Factory ammo tends to have primer sealer to keep moisture out. If you can find brass.  New brass needs to be sized trimmed to lenght, de- burred, and a primer pocket uniformer used and a flash hole uniformer used. Much of the brass I've found lately from Winchester looks like they have no idea what shape a circle is -  quality control is almost non existant on the new brass. The Remmington stuff is a little better and Lapua is very nice.   But the reality is that if you cant get the parts to put the bullets togther why buy the tools if you dont already have them.
You may be so far behind the curve at this point that you might be better off buying what loaded ammo you can find before it's all gone.  There are gun stores here that cant sell some of their handguns because they dont have any ammo to fit them.  If you do find stuff they ration it and limit how much you can buy.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/30/2009 at 17:43

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 17:58
 There is still a lot of shotgun stuff out there and there is rifle ammo in traditional hunting calibers but as for pistol ammo it's going for about a dollar a round if you can find it.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/31/2009 at 23:46

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 20:54
CCI 250's have jumped in my AO from 34.99 to 44.99.  BR-2s  are only a memory!!  but the 250s work just as good.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 23:55
Perhaps it would be better to buy ammo and stock pile it. I mean verses buying all the re-loading stuff.. Wow! I cannot believe this happening.. Our local Bi-Mart store, a guy can place himself on a waiting list for Rifle and pistol Ammo.. They put your name on it as it comes into the store and you (the buyer) comes in on there delivery day once a week to purchase it... Thats the way it is in Small Town, Oregon 2009.. I spoke with some folks at the store and they were told that there ammo suppliers were told that the ammo is being made as fast as possible at all the factorys.. The public is buying it faster than they can make it..Down the street from my Shop is a Military Surplus Store and one of our greedy local yocals (Bob) is trying to sell 243 ammo for 29.95 a box.. can you believe that....The local Wal-Mart is selling for alot less but I do not recall the price.....What to do, Hopefully time will resolve all of this...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 20:18
Granted everything is hard to find right now.  Ammo and reloading supplies.
I started re-loading in January.  My budget was very small so I opted to go with the Lee 50TH anniversary Kit which has every the RCBS Rockchucker kit has at about 1/3 the price.
Lee is lowest cost reloading equipment around and it is good quality.  With both RCBS and Lee the Dies are purchased seperately.  I got the deluxe die sets and then later got their Factory crimp dies since I neck size.  I was up and reloading 270 and 308 cal with 1 pound of 2 different powders 100 bullets of each cal and 1000 large rifle primersfor about $350.  Most People like the RCBS better than the Lee but their are very similiar and more expensive.

Ronk gave good advice earlier especially since you want to load handguns rounds too.
It all comes down to budget and preference.  Me not knowing if I would enjoy reloading opted to go with the Lee system.  Both should be easy to re-sell if its not for you.

Edited by budperm - May/31/2009 at 20:20
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 21:01

Every gun owner in America who doesn't reload or want to reload should at least own a Lee Loader @ $29.00 for his main rifle, just in case he NEEDS to be able to reload someday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic