OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's the word on Vortex Crossfire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the word on Vortex Crossfire?
    Posted: May/18/2009 at 11:57
What is optical quality like on the Crossfire? Are they like Simmons, or more like a Bushnell 3200? How about Nikon Prostaff (better/worse/same?) What common established brand do they best compare to glass-wise?

Any input would be appreciated.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 01:05
They have to be better than a Simmons and I dont think they will be as good as Bushnell 3200.  I really like the Sightron scopes though even the S1 is a great scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 08:23
  I've got to say a word about Simmons. I've got a MS Prohunter in 2-7x32 WA. I like it ALOT due to its user friendly design. It's got the best eye relief and quick target aquisition qualities out of any scope I've got. I mounted it on my 9.3x62mm and after I get the OK from the Doc(HOPEFULLY on June 6) I'm going to see what it's made of.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2009 at 19:47
About the Strike Fire:  I give Vortex high marks for Customer Service but am not yet a huge fan of the scope.

The glass ain;t bad, it ain't Aimpoint, but it ain't bad.  The objective isn't bright red, in case that matters.

I am on my second Strike Fire, the first had issues immediately, almost ruined a hunt.  The issue with the first was that once the auto shut-off had turned the unit off, it would not come back on.  I had to remove the battery and put it back in to get the optic to come back.  Also, the power button was easily hit unintentionally.

They solved the power button problem by putting a small "bumper" next to the button.  They have also added a better"button", the first I got, you couldn't tell if the button had been pushed or not - no tactile feed back; the new one is an improvement.

Till I know the dot is going to come on every time I push the button, I will not recommend it.  I will say I have tested it now 4 or 5 times (turned it on and let the auto shutoff kill the dot - then turn the optic back on) and it has worked every time thus far.

For the price, it ain't bad.  If it is going on a hunting gun or any gun with backup irons, get one.  If it is going on a defense or duty gun, do NOT get it yet, give them time to work out any bugs.

My first one died almost immediately, the second one is doing much better, but not yet proven.

If you can afford it, go Aimpoint or EoTech or even Burris xtreme - all are more expensive, and all are more reliable, at least that's been my experience.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 00:58
I think the question was about Crossfire, rather than the Strikefire. 

Unfortunately, I have very little experience with the Crossfire and not enough to say with certainty how good the glass is.

A few people I know who have tried thought it was very good for the money, but did not offer a whole lot of detail.

ILya
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 07:01
I think the Crossfire is on the lower end of the scale for what Vortex offers - no experience with it, per se, but my Vortex Viper is an awesome scope for the money.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 10:05
The Crossfire is on par with a Simmons AETEC as far as optics.The Nikon Pro Staff has the edge over the Crossfire in optics.As with the Simmons on higher settings you start to have blurry edges.Vortex Crossfire is priced close to the Simmons AETEC ,3200 Elite,Legend,  Buckmaster and Sightron SI.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 11:52
Yea, Crossfire, too many damned Vortex __fires.

On the Crossfire, the Customer Service probably carries over:  they responded quickly with a problem and solved it to my satisfaction.

I'll try to stop the whole, "Ready, Fire, Aim" thing.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic