OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thoughts on Swarovski Z6 2-12X50 w/ Plex reticle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thoughts on Swarovski Z6 2-12X50 w/ Plex reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReadyFreddy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Swarovski Z6 2-12X50 w/ Plex reticle
    Posted: May/17/2009 at 07:58
I need some of your expert advice.

I picked up a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 scope with TDS-Plex reticle. I bought it brand new from a store. Do you know if this is a good scope? I know the retail price is around $2000-$2200. What is the real street price you would expect to pay at a store? It appears to be a phenomenal scope but if I don't like it, what would be a good realistic price to sell it privately? I'm relatively new to guns. This is the second scope that I've ever purchased.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 08:33
  They're good enough that if I could afford any scope I want this would be the one:

As far as the price,here's SWFA's:

Plus they'll do this:

I'm thinking you'll be keeping it but I wouldn't sell it for less than I could get a new one for at SWFA.

HOPE I was of some help and WELCOME to OT. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 08:51
don't know why you would want to sell it, good hunting scopes. Swaro is changing their product line about a bit, and will be adding Z3,Z5 in 1" tubes to play of the Z6 growing reputation. The TDS was discontinued in that variable range, personally I think its the best reticle, not too busy for hunting, but retains the usefullnessof the christmas tree BDC. Most outstanding feature to me is the zoom range from 2 to about 8x. Swaro has already updated their web site for the ballistic calculator to include their new reticles and is alot easier to use with more information. Scope mounts up well with low rings, especially for a 50mm bell and still good room for bolt manipulation at the other end.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 09:26
Freddy, you got a DANDY in that scope. Just wondering, what are you going to put it on? 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 13:53
The TDS reticle is nice, the power range 2-12 is sweet, I'd keep it.

I heard Swaro didn't want to pay licensing fees is why they dropped the TDS reticle and went with their BR.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 14:28

The problem with selling a scope like a Z6 is you're going to have to put a good price on it, or your buyer will probably just buy a new one.  I mean selling a used $1800 scope for $1700 doesn't really get me excited....see what I'm sayin'?  

I can't imagine that you won't like it, I love mine.

Edited by swtucker - May/17/2009 at 14:30
ReadyFreddy23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReadyFreddy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 14:49

So far, the feedback has all been positive.  I lucked out and found the Swarovski z6 at an unbeatable price.  It looks like SWFA is selling them for $2038.  If I asked $1500 plus shipping, do you think that's a good enough price for someone to buy mine instead of from a store.  It's brand new, never been in rings, and never mounted.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by ReadyFreddy23 ReadyFreddy23 wrote:

So far, the feedback has all been positive.  I lucked out and found the Swarovski z6 at an unbeatable price.  It looks like SWFA is selling them for $2038.  If I asked $1500 plus shipping, do you think that's a good enough price for someone to buy mine instead of from a store.  It's brand new, never been in rings, and never mounted.

From time to time SWFA sells them brand new in box for as low as $1,300.00 on the sample list. $1,500.00 plus shipping is still expensive plus the Swaro "lifetime warranty" (on the optics) is not transferable. Personally, I'd pass.

Edited by mike650 - May/17/2009 at 15:15
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 15:29
 I gotta agree with Mike. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 15:35
If you want out of that scope why dont you sel it on Samplelist to SWFA there is a trade in / sale form link on the first samplelist page.

The other thought is if you just bought it and dont like it and havent mounted it - return it to the store you bought it from and get your money back or a store credit.

Can I ask what it is about it that you have decided you do not like as it seems a bit odd that someone would spend that kind of money on a scope without being fairly certain that it will work for their intended use.   I will say that with major purchases sometimes there is a certain amount of buyers remorse but often if you get rid of it you regret doing so later.  I'm sure you had some reasons for selecting that scope to begin with can you tell us what has changed or what the rifle caliber type of use are so that we can make better suggestions.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReadyFreddy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 21:34
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you want out of that scope why dont you sel it on Samplelist to SWFA there is a trade in / sale form link on the first samplelist page.

The other thought is if you just bought it and dont like it and havent mounted it - return it to the store you bought it from and get your money back or a store credit.

Can I ask what it is about it that you have decided you do not like as it seems a bit odd that someone would spend that kind of money on a scope without being fairly certain that it will work for their intended use.   I will say that with major purchases sometimes there is a certain amount of buyers remorse but often if you get rid of it you regret doing so later.  I'm sure you had some reasons for selecting that scope to begin with can you tell us what has changed or what the rifle caliber type of use are so that we can make better suggestions.

I just bought it yesterday morning at a local sporting goods store.  They had a sale going on and this Swarovski scope was just too good a deal to turn down.  I don't hunt or at least I haven't yet.  Someday, I'd like to give it a try though. 

I also bought 2 Leupold scopes and 5 Benchmade knives.  I bought 1 Benchmade Apparition and 4 Benchmade Nitrous Strykers (3 black 1/2 serrated 1 Satin plain edge).  The Leupold's are both VX III.  One of the Leupold's is 3.5-10x40 with Duplex reticle.  The other is 4.5-14x40 with Duplex reticle.

I only own 1 bolt gun (Remington 700 Police .308).  That is topped with a Super Sniper Fixed 10 power scope.  I also own an AR-15 with an EoTech on that.  I have a Winchester 94 AE .357 mag but I don't want to put a scope on that. 

I don't want to return it to get a refund or credit because if I don't end up using it, I can sell it for a small profit and still give someone a great deal on a great scope.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 22:48
So essentially you're shopping it around the Internet.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 23:32
Sounds like a bad idea.  I recommend you not speculate on the idea that you will turn a profit on optics. Some things like rifle primers a man could get rich on but the no BS version is people are typically Cheap when it comes to picking a hunting scope so anything over $300. is a specialty item and will only appeal to a select few who will be very particular about which model which power which reticle the warranty etc.  I suggest you return it if you can.  As for the Leupolds you do know that the VX3 is the new model and the VXIII is the old model -- right and the difference is significant.  So I would say that you have not invested wisely unless you have a personal need for those optics which you dont.  If you have spare money I would suggest you buy a second rilfe and put the VXIII 4.5-14 on it that way when you go to the range you can shoot a few shots with one rifle and let it cool and shoot a few shots with the other rifle and let it cool. Got more spare money buy yourself a handgun and learn to shoot it and since you already have a rifle in .357 mag you have chosen the caliber already find a stainless Smith & Wesson 686+ the one with the 7 shot cylinder so that the cut out for the cylinder stop is cut between the chambers in a 4 or 6 in barrel for a target pistol.  Or buy a model 640 Smith & Wesson if you perfer a small concealable revolver.  Buy something useful or save the money until you are ready to.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReadyFreddy23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 18:06
I'm not speculating.  I might keep all of the scopes.  If I don't keep the Swarovski, I've heard that the TDS-Plex reticle is a good reticle and it's highly sought after.  Swarovski doesn't make it anymore.  I spoke to the peole at Swarovski and Leupold and they both said if I give the original receipt or a gift receipt, the warranty is valid.  I have the original receipts and I received gift receipts when I purchased the scopes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic