OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hey trigger: .300 Weatherby!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey trigger: .300 Weatherby!
    Posted: May/17/2009 at 07:23
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 08:39
that's some amazing stuff
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:35

I wish the average deer hunter could shoot groups that size at one HUNDRED yards!

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:39
              What!Laugh
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:55
 What?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:59
Smile

Edited by rifle looney - May/17/2009 at 19:29
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 11:16
Incredible!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 18:47
thats real impressive!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 18:53
Big Grin

Edited by rifle looney - May/17/2009 at 19:27
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 19:01
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Have ya heard?

Nice!!  Excellent  At that range I would think there's so many variables involved and to be able to do 10 shots in a row, 3" group, at 1000 yards, is truly amazing!!

Edited by mike650 - May/17/2009 at 19:17
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 19:46
That 300 Weatherby is about as far from a factory gun as a Indianapolis 500 racecar is from a 4 door sedan you buy off a dealership lot.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 20:05
    But the fact that the cartidge was a std .300 Weatherby is what I'm liken.  For years the Weatherby cartidges have been maligned as to their accuracy and now that's been laid to rest.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 20:41
Wish I could do that!  But I think it is just fun shooting at those ranges.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 22:22
That's not possible.......Weatherby's have belted cartriges and freebore. They're hard to load for and not very accurate.......yada yada yada.Cool

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 22:56
The article doesn't say if he had the rifle chambered with a short throat and chambered so that there was not much datum gap on the new cases.  Since it mentions that he had started with a jump of .018" and changed to .028", that says he had it chambered with a short throat.  Most Weatherby's have a jump close to .275" in order to fit the magazine and even if you try to load them out close to the lands for single shot function there is very little bullet left in the neck, not nearly enough.

Also the .339" throat is pretty generous but I'll bet he had already measured the Norma brass so that he had a tight clearance.

If you look at the case drawings

you can see that he had the shoulder moved forward, the radius shoulder changed to a flat one and the neck slightly lengthened.  More like a 300 Weatherby Magnum Ackley Improved.

I'm not bashing the 300 Wtby, just saying not a typical one and it is slightly misleading to call it one.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 23:21
John B  or one of the other writers had a Weatherby built on a different action and barrel with a short throat  and said it did not help or change much as to performance?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 08:56
  I read the same somewhere rl.  I'm questioning why the pic/specs of the Weatherby cartridge that is supposedly from Norma doesn't show a radius shoulder when at Midway both Norma casings and  Weatherby ammo show the radius shoulder.

Edited by 300S&W - May/18/2009 at 09:09
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 09:52
That is amazing.  Trigger, where is you 5" at 1k yard target?  What is the big hold up? Big Smile
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 14:31
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

That is amazing.  Trigger, where is you 5" at 1k yard target?  What is the big hold up? Big Smile
my 1K range is quite a ways from my house. I've just got my new load for my rifle out to 700, and figuring out where it will hit at ranges of 300 to 700. I hope to get out to the long range sometime this summer. I hope to get a target out at 700 and see how the groups look. Just been busting milk jugs so far.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 16:05
   Hey Sakomoto,
   I'm checking out some sources that say the pic of the casing in this thread:
    which is taken from Norma's web:

is not representitive of the actual product and in fact the Norma brass used at the match did have the radius at the shoulder. I ran into a similar situation regarding scope reticles where the pic didn't match the product. Who would've thought!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic