OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1964 Sears 270 Win

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 Sears 270 Win
    Posted: May/16/2009 at 14:53
Today I got to play with a a rifle today.  On the barrel it read -- J C Higgens Model 50 270 Win.  Under that is said Sears and Roebuck Co. 583-9 Something.  Can't remember the last digit.  It is a Mauser action.  My guess is a 98.  The stamp on the side of the action said Made in Belgium.  What do you guys know about these rifles?

It was top with a Redfield 3-9x40.  I was quite surprised with how good the glass was.  Clear all the way to the edges.  Not as bright as my 4200.

We shot it at 25 yards to see if it was even sighted in.  Dead on.  Shot it at 100 yards.  1.5" high.  Shot a 3/4" group.  He shot it at 200 yards.  1.9" group.  I took 2 shots at 200 yards, and my group was touching dead center on the target.  At 300 yards I think he got a little jumpy or nervous about the range.  He hasn't shot in 31 years.  Did great.  No bad habits I could see.  His group spread to about 4 inches.  I am sure the gun could do better.  He was shooting 130 gr Winchester Power Points.  I was quite impressed with how the rifle shot.  He wants to go deer hunting this year.  I don't think it will be a problem.

Good start to a day.  Will probably take out my 22-250 this evening and do some shooting.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:08
It's an FN Mauser,as opposed to an F(*&'n mauser.
Well made and as you saw, impressively accurate.
I'll offer $50.00 and shipping..................................Emoticons
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:26
 Fabrique Nationale (FN) had a long collaboration with John Moses Browning in producing many of his designs.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:32
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Today I got to play with a a rifle today.  On the barrel it read -- J C Higgens Model 50 270 Win.  Under that is said Sears and Roebuck Co. 583-9 Something.  Can't remember the last digit.  It is a Mauser action.  My guess is a 98.  The stamp on the side of the action said Made in Belgium.  What do you guys know about these rifles?

It was top with a Redfield 3-9x40.  I was quite surprised with how good the glass was.  Clear all the way to the edges.  Not as bright as my 4200.

We shot it at 25 yards to see if it was even sighted in.  Dead on.  Shot it at 100 yards.  1.5" high.  Shot a 3/4" group.  He shot it at 200 yards.  1.9" group.  I took 2 shots at 200 yards, and my group was touching dead center on the target.  At 300 yards I think he got a little jumpy or nervous about the range.  He hasn't shot in 31 years.  Did great.  No bad habits I could see.  His group spread to about 4 inches.  I am sure the gun could do better.  He was shooting 130 gr Winchester Power Points.  I was quite impressed with how the rifle shot.  He wants to go deer hunting this year.  I don't think it will be a problem.

Good start to a day.  Will probably take out my 22-250 this evening and do some shooting.

Cool!!  Thunbs Up

Who's he??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:43
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Cool!!  Thunbs Up

Who's he??

He is the church administrator at the church I go to.  He lived in England for 18 years and moved here about a year ago.  The rifle was his dad's.  He just got it from his brother in California since they never used it.  I took him out to sight it in (or make sure it was sighted in).  I wish I had pictures of the gun, but I did not have my camera along.

Also was able to show him what mirage looks like and what it does to a target.  Demonstrated how you can look at it with higher magnification and then back off the power to see a little better.  It was a fun morning.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:44
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

It's an FN Mauser,as opposed to an F(*&'n mauser.
Well made and as you saw, impressively accurate.
I'll offer $50.00 and shipping..................................Emoticons

Better up your bid.  I already offered more than that.  It was a nice light gun as well.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 15:45
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Fabrique Nationale (FN) had a long collaboration with John Moses Browning in producing many of his designs.

Browning has quite the impressive history!

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 16:14

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Cool!!  Thunbs Up

Who's he??

He is the church administrator at the church I go to.  He lived in England for 18 years and moved here about a year ago.  The rifle was his dad's.  He just got it from his brother in California since they never used it.  I took him out to sight it in (or make sure it was sighted in).  I wish I had pictures of the gun, but I did not have my camera along.

Also was able to show him what mirage looks like and what it does to a target.  Demonstrated how you can look at it with higher magnification and then back off the power to see a little better.  It was a fun morning.

Nice story!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 16:38
I have two JC Higgens shotguns they are Browning humpback models and they have always been good shooters still use them today 12/20 gauge.   I will go $78.50 for that gun   Wink
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 16:43
FN the people, who now own Browning and now Winchester made lots of trade actions from Sear to Weatherby. Not to mention war time production for the Nazi's.  The WWII history of the plant is very interesting (check the prices on a Nazi hi-power).  That is about as nice of a production action as you can get.  

You may still be able to get the same action out of the custom shop for a $$$$ fee.  Go to the Browning custom shop web page and see if they have a link to the european custom shop site. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 16:47
BTW would pastor like a 125 dollar donation to the church in exchange for the rifle?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 20:42
The FN's are good actions, reliable as it gets, question is whether you want to stay with the trigger , as base drops out together. also it has the older mauser type thumb safety which is very fast. This one kept everything except cutting to 20" recrown, williams iron with scout scope.
t
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 21:20
Dale, that is what his looks like, only a regular scope mount and the iron sights it came with.  I would personally change the trigger.  I was a heavy pull, but broke clean.  The floorplate was kinda weird dropping out, but not really a big deal I guess.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 08:42

These are original  Mauser designs and not american sportized version. While the triggers is more of a two stage military type it is crisp and very reliable. Mauser also keeps the shell lifter with the lip on to stop the bolt and tell the shooter the gun is empty. Grinding them off was a real fad back in the days the gun came out. I also have one of these that was blueprinted by DeArci Echols and hard chromed (knew him when I lived in the Logan area).

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:03

In general the J.C. Higgins Mausers are a real steal. The price is climbing but I still find them for under $400 and sometimes under $300.

There are other "American" 98 Mausers that are real good deals. Montgomery Ward used to sell a rifle they called either the Model 720 (standard stock, 24" barrel) or 724 (Mannlicher stock, flat bolt handle, 22" barrel). These were made on good German military 98 actions by Heym, one of the top German makers, but with such refinements as a lever-opening floorplate (a typical German touch) and a single-stage Model 98 trigger that actually fits on the action, not the trigger guard/floorplate assembly. Not as many were made as the J.C. Higgins FN Mausers, but when found they can often be purchased even cheaper. The barrels are by Heym and the stocks are generally of better quality than on the J.C. Higgins rifles, though of typical German design.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 20:16
Thanks for the info John!  I like the Mauser Actions.  I have a 270 made by Voere Arms out of Austria (1968).  It was made with a Military 98 action.  Both my 270 and this J C Higgins shoot really well.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 22:45
John B, I have read articles where you have mentioned the Mexican or Spanish Mauser is this more like a 96 or 98 action and why cant I find any of these are they scarce or ?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 09:52

The Mexican action is a true 98-type small-ring action. There are a couple of variations, but they were made around the 7x57 cartridge.

The "Spanish" action you are thinking about is probably the 93 or 95 Mauser action, which are very similar. Those actions are minus some of the features on the 98, most notably the gas-venting and the rear (auxiliary) locking lug on the  bolt, and they cock on closing. If made by a good company they are still fine actions, but not as good as a 98.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 17:02
Many years ago, a friend of mine traded for a barreled action. It was a Parker Hale in 270 Win.. It is a Mauser 98 action for the most part, but as I remember the safety was either in the same place as a 700 Remington or was just a two position safety with a short throw instead of the three position safety of a 98K.
It sound a lot like the rifle Helo is talking about. I wonder if there is any conection between the two?

I used to work at Sears in sporting goods when I was In college, and many of their guns were made by name brand manufacturers (mostly Winchester) for Sears with the Sears name. Sears also imported a lot of guns with their name on them from some of the lessor known manufacturers. I had my eye on a 12 Ga. double barrel shotgun until one of the full time salesmen told me they were hand made in Spain and you couldn't get parts for them.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 17:56
could also be think about the Santa Barbara type mauser, and then there are the Brno mausers which are different yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic