OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FNAR Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FNAR Setup
    Posted: May/13/2009 at 16:42
Hey Guys,
     New here, and from  the reading I've done so far this is a great site. Looks like I'll be able to pick up my new FNAR next week, and I'm starting to research optics. For those that haven't seen one:  http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022&mid=FNM0136
     So far, the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 has my interest, but I'm open to suggestions of course. My scope budget is $500.00 or less. I want to keep as much versitility as possible in this gun, so I'm thinking of a secondary sight for fast, close quarter target aquisition-possibly a laser with a pressure switch mounted on the left forearm rail. In addition to scope and secondary sight recommendations, I'm also interested in a good value in rings, as well as what height rings would work best on this rifle.
Thanks,
Pete
phm14 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 16:46
Want to ad that I'm consdering the BDC reticle. Anyone used it with a 308?
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 17:48
Do a quick search for FNAR in the forums and you will find some stuff!
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
phm14 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 18:09
Yes, I did find a couple of threads, but they didn't address these questions.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 19:30
This probably belongs in the tactical column and since it is in the hunting rifle column we will go based on the idea that you intend to use it to hunt, but most states dont allow lasers for hunting.  The distance you intend to shoot is the make it or break it deal for what optic is correct.   First note that balistic reticles only work at one power usually the highest power.  Lets say you want to hunt deer out to about 400 yds. I would put a fixed 6x42 Leupold on it and I would recommend this one:
LEU63085 Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope                                                                                           Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $309.95
More Info...
Why not a variable with BDC.  Because the hold over marks on the fixed 6x will be on every time and useable at 6x which is what you need to gather the most light in low light. Buy a 3-9 variable with BDC and the BDC works at 9x as it gets dark you have to dial the power down to about 6x to brighten up the scope then the BDC doesnt work so you only have the center X  - use the BDC of the 3-9 with the scope set on 6x and you just shot over the top of the animal.  Reticle stays the same size at all powers cause its second focal plane. Want hold over to work at all powers buy a FFP mil dot.  I would be thinking Badger Ordnance but you would need the insert to go to a 1 inch tube so how about Leupold Mk4 and I'm not sure on height but SWFA will likely have a chart.
LEU60595 Leupold Mark 4 1 Rings                                                                                                 Leupold Mark 4 1" Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/13/2009 at 19:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
PepperMD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PepperMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 15:41
Have an SX-AR.  Mounted a Sightron SII 3.5-10x42.  Using Leupold PRW Med height rings.  Really like my set up as it keeps the sight low on the rifle. 
phm14 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 17:02
Hey Guys,
     Would up with the Burris XTR 1.5x6 with the XTR rings (don't recall height). Love the glass and the rifle shoots sub MOA with factory matchCool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic