OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Favorite STEAK recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 21:10
NY strip chased across the grill,i like my meat rare. 
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 22:12
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have a friend who is a butcher... he makes his own steak rubs and sausage spices.  His rub on ribeyes, t-bones or porter house.  I don't really like New York strips, but will eat them if there is nothing else.  I don't like the consistency of the strips.  Cooked about 4 minutes on each side on a grill or about 15 minutes if smoked. 

Know what ya mean Dan, its hard to find a good strip test.  Often grissley., fatty and tuff.
But ocne in a while a good one will come along and be quite delious!

Ribeyes Rule!  Porterhouse, T-Bone in order,  More on the rubs please!  I rarely used more than Lawry Garlic Salt. Fresh ground Salt &Pepper and Worstershire Sauce.
If you want Gene's rub, I can get you some.  Gives steak the best flavor you have ever tasted.  He could do a HUGE business of barbeque and steaks if he wanted to, but loves being a butcher.  Let me know, I need a new stock anyway, think I only have enough left for a couple of steaks or I would just send you some.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 23:19

Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

A nice ribeye cooked on a hot grill to sear both sides.  Cook to medium.  Little salt and eat.  If I catch you with steak sauce at my house you will get slapped.  Since I used to work for a cattle man, I get to drive through the lot and pick the one I want to be sent to the butcher.
If you get to pick and know what your doing it makes a world of difference in quality and TASTE.

You bet it does.  I always got the job of waiting for the truck to deliver the cattle, sometimes it was way late when the driver got lost.  Went through all the work of vaccinating, implanting, etc to make sure they hit the rate of gain goals.  Selecting "the one" was the best reward for the work, and oh baby, it tasted good.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 05:55

[QUOTE=Kickboxer]
If you want Gene's rub, I can get you some.  Gives steak the best flavor you have ever tasted.  He could do a HUGE business of barbeque and steaks if he wanted to, but loves being a butcher.  Let me know, I need a new stock anyway, think I only have enough left for a couple of steaks or I would just send you some.  

Absolutely YES Dan!  I have started to experiment with rubs.  Does Gene have more than one type? 
I'll have to hide em from my son.  The burger concocted the best BBQ Sauce I have ever tasted using Old Bay, Hunt's, Sweet baby Ray's and a couple of secrets he won't share.

Let me know more!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 06:04

A nice ribeye cooked on a hot grill to sear both sides.  Cook to medium.  Little salt and eat.  If I catch you with steak sauce at my house you will get slapped.  Since I used to work for a cattle man, I get to drive through the lot and pick the one I want to be sent to the butcher.
If you get to pick and know what your doing it makes a world of difference in quality and TASTE.

You bet it does.  I always got the job of waiting for the truck to deliver the cattle, sometimes it was way late when the driver got lost.  Went through all the work of vaccinating, implanting, etc to make sure they hit the rate of gain goals.  Selecting "the one" was the best reward for the work, and oh baby, it tasted good.

You ever want to split a steer let me know!  Last time we tried that here we didn't get back the same meat we took to the butcher.  My brother-in-law raised a few black Angus with his uncle.  Feed that thing sweetfeed for last 3+ months.  He looked GOOD.  Uncle killed and dressed it himself.
Took it to a local Butcher for processing and what we got back was a mixed pile of equivalent weight meat from 5 steers.  Boy could you tell the difference when you cooked and ate a steak that came off our animal versus the mix.  We all were pretty pissed at Butcher for mixing the animals.  Last time we used him after 25years.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 06:18

Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

WHAO......  whats this 'I wont reveal'??  This is about sharing with your brethren.... We need that marinade........  Your killing us with that description.  It was so eloquent we could get it published as a romance novel.........

You Get the Rope, I'll Get the board and water!

Ohhhh RifleDude... here boy... drip. drip. drip. drip...................
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 06:21

I have a friend who is a butcher... he makes his own steak rubs and sausage spices.  His rub on ribeyes, t-bones or porter house.  I don't really like New York strips, but will eat them if there is nothing else.  I don't like the consistency of the strips.  Cooked about 4 minutes on each side on a grill or about 15 minutes if smoked. 

Know what ya mean Dan, its hard to find a good strip test.  Often grissley., fatty and tuff.
But ocne in a while a good one will come along and be quite delious!

Ribeyes Rule!  Porterhouse, T-Bone in order,  More on the rubs please!  I rarely used more than Lawry Garlic Salt. Fresh ground Salt &Pepper and Worstershire Sauce.

I have to agree with both on this... For some reason good NY strips are hard to find.. I have had one good one in my entire life.  Place is Tennessee knew how to pick the tender ones and they cooked it over hickory to perfection...

BudP where is the Filet in your order??? 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 06:44

The Filet is usually out of my price range Whacko

However I would place it close but just behind the Ribeye because of the cost.
--Thomas Jefferson

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 07:14
A NY Strip about 1" think.  Cover it with garlic powder (not garlic SALT) and coarse ground black pepper and maybe a tiny bit of seasoned salt (cooking with salt can make meat tough).  Leave in out until it reaches room temperature,  They is VERY important; steaks don't cook right if they are cold inside.  Cook on the hottest mesquite fire you can stand until it's as done as you like.  IF you prefer well done, you'll probably have to cover the fire to keep the outside from getting too done.  Absolutely, positively do NOT put any sauce on it.  A little melted butter is good if you got the outside too done.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 15:02

QUOTE=[Kickboxer]
What is... steak sauce??????? precious...

UH... Dan.... Just what kind of Testing DID you do at work today???
[/QUOTE]

It's an alter ego...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 23:11
Just run a candly under it's ass and run it through here I'll carve off what I want.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 11:21
Tri-Tip

Marinated, BBQ'ed, Medium Rare.  Licker

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 12:14
D*mn that's mouth watering.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 13:30
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic