OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why isn't the Big Sky more popular?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony270wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why isn't the Big Sky more popular?
    Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:41
It is light, compact, has the lifetime warranty, and is well priced. Haven't had the opportunity to look through one yet, but from what I hear they are optically superior to say, a Leupold VX3, are about like an Elite 4200, and almost as good as a Conquest. It has the rainguard, like the Bushnell, and weighs less.

So what am I missing? Glass of an Elite 4200 with a Rainguard(ish) feature, in the compact and lightweight body of a Leupold, but with better glass than a Leupold.

Is there something people don't like about the Big Sky, or have they just not caught on yet? I know the issue for me is... I can't find one anywhere close! I'd like to give them a chance, just can't find them.
Agree or disagree, we need to accept our differences and stand together.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 15:00
I just bought one, plus a Vortex Viper, and have Zeiss Conquests to compare them to, so I'll let you know when I line them all up together to try them out.  I bought the Sightron due to the many positives things said here about them.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 15:03
I have a 1.25-5x and really like it.  I would say the glass is very comparable to my 4200 glass, probably slightly better but the 4200 is a 3-9x so not a perfect comparison. 

I mounted it on my 45-70 and used it for 40 hot rounds and it held up just fine.  Since I have mounted it on my Marlin .357 mag lever gun and it is a fantastic scope for that rifle. 

I would definitely consider buying another Big Sky if it fit the rifle and use that I needed at the time.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 15:19
they need more reticle options for one

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 16:23
Originally posted by tony270wsm tony270wsm wrote:

It is light, compact, has the lifetime warranty, and is well priced. Haven't had the opportunity to look through one yet, but from what I hear they are optically superior to say, a Leupold VX3, are about like an Elite 4200, and almost as good as a Conquest. It has the rainguard, like the Bushnell, and weighs less.

So what am I missing? Glass of an Elite 4200 with a Rainguard(ish) feature, in the compact and lightweight body of a Leupold, but with better glass than a Leupold.

Is there something people don't like about the Big Sky, or have they just not caught on yet? I know the issue for me is... I can't find one anywhere close! I'd like to give them a chance, just can't find them.

Where did you hear it's superior to VX3?  All reports I've seen, along with my own observations, put the new VX3 essentially in the same class optically as Elite 4200 and in some cases, Conquest as well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 17:08
Sightron just doesn't have the name recognition yet, same for Vortex.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 17:27
Someone should do a search for Sightron by John Barsness. I think it was a thread named test of two new scopes or something to that effect.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 17:38
From what I gather, the new VX3s are somewhat better than the now discontinued VX111s. As such, any new VX3 would probably compare equally to the Big Sky and would really be a wash in the field as to their capabilities. But I won`t be rushing to trade or sell my VX111 for a new VX3.

Though for the looks, durability, the scope selections available and for individual customer service, nothing matches or exceeds the Leupys in those depts.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 18:03
Ugly.  They don't look as nice mounted on a rifle as the other scopes previously mentioned here IMO.  Great scopes in every regard but a little bland aesthetically.  I realize this is purely personal and maybe someone else thinks the opposite.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 18:15
The main reason they aren't more popular is, as noted above, Sightron simply doesn't have the name recognition that Leupold, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, etc. enjoys.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 21:11
I love my big sky  unless they blunder  they  will have the name recognition soon
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 21:47
                     Stare
grumpy04730 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy04730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 08:44
I have severa lBig Skys and love them but they could use some more reticle options. one reason they aren't  more popular is they are very rare in gun shops  in my area for people to look through Their CS is second to none I dropped one about 15 feetout of a tree stand and broke the front lens and bent the tube sent it in with a note saying what happened and ask them to fix it two weeks later I had a new one no charge.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 11:30
Their customer service is great.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 11:49
The assumption is that "the masses" follow quality; and I'd contend the assumption is ass-out wrong.

The masses follow marketing.

Sightron is getting a reputation for good stuff, but at the range and hunting lease, Leupold is still king, and most Leupold owners out there will insist no one makes anything even close.

I've got an S3 coming soon for evaluation, I'll post a thorough review.

I have high hopes!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 20:08
I agree grumpy I  love mine  also  but no one within 75 miles had them.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 11:38
Sightrons are the lowman on the todem pole.The Big Sky can be bought for as low as $199 right now,with prices this low even a loyal Weaver or Leupold fan can't pass that up.  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 12:54

$199.00??!!!!!!!!!

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 15:26
PASS!  
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 15:45
PASS! +1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic