OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bad Aim .... HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Aim .... HELP
    Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:28
Any archers out there that have some tips on how to correct poor shooting form? 

My son is new to Archery and is consistently shooting left.  I've adjusted his grip to open instead of closed, checked his form etc...  He is shooting with a release.  I have shot the bow and it's dead on for me, but a foot to the left for him.  Also, he gets string slap pretty bad but I do not when shooting his bow.

I can shoot em, but I can't teach em. 

Any tips?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:33
Sounds like he is twisting his wrist a little. tell him to turn his inerelbow upwards rather that to his chest.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:33
Buy him a .22 cal. rimfire.
Sorry, I never could shoot a bow either, so I gave up and concentrated on what I could shoot.Bandito
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:49
What BD said, sounds like a wrist issue with the string slap.
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 15:03
   He may be standing too perpendicular to the target. If he's shoots right handed(I'm guessing he is as he's hitting left) have him turn to the left a bit.  Do you have a wrist sling on the bow?  He may also be gripping the riser at the last moment of his release which will torque the riser to the left causing arrow impacts to the left and arm slap.
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 15:52
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

He may be standing too perpendicular to the target. If he's shoots right handed(I'm guessing he is as he's hitting left) have him turn to the left a bit.  Do you have a wrist sling on the bow?  He may also be gripping the riser at the last moment of his release which will torque the riser to the left causing arrow impacts to the left and arm slap.

Yes, he's a right hander. Yes, there is a wrist sling on the bow.  I have him shooting both closed grip and open.  Shoots the same either way.  So he should bring his back foot more to the left?

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 16:07
  No,he should try moving his front foot to the left a bit.  This way his upper torso and left arm will be moved away from bow string.

_________X__________  target

I (left foot)
                                     I   (too perpendicular to target)
                                     I

_________X___________ target

I (left foot)
                                    I
                                      I
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 16:23

No,he should try moving his front foot to the left a bit.  This way his upper torso and left arm will be moved away from bow string.

_________X__________  target

I (left foot)
                                     I   (too perpendicular to target)
                                     I

_________X___________ target

I (left foot)
                                    I
                                      I

Gotcha and Excellent diagram!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 16:25
  HOPE it works for him.  Watch that he doesn't grip that riser at the last moment.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 20:10
Good call 300.  Check his weight distribution on his feet as well.  That affects my shooting.  I shoot best with more weight on the front foot, and on the toes.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 22:30
If the bow weight is too high for him he will develope bad habits right off. And they can be hard to unlearn. He needs a weight that he can hold with his left elbow slightly bent (outward). You can watch his stance and see if he is leaning back at full draw. If so let him know and tell him when he is standing upright so he can remember how it feels. Another shot killer is jerking the release. He can learn the feel of a good release by fixing him a box of old clothes and have him shoot it at two steps back. He will pratice shooting the box with his eyes closed and just feeling the suprise of the release when it goes. The release can be a factor also, if it is set too heavy he will fight with it and a good shot is unlikely. That is what the pros have shared with me for accomplishing a perfect release. Another thing he can do is draw to shoot and after getting his pin on target look down the arrow shaft and see if it aligns with the pin set. If not he is either torqueing the bow or holding it canted. The most recommended hold is an open hand. That is why many people have the wrist wrap, so they don't drop the bow. Ofcourse dropping the bow is holding too loose. If that is not the case then check the bow for proper setup. Without being able to see him shoot it is not possible to offer all the help needed. You being an experienced archer, you may be making compensation during the shot and not know it. Hopefully he will stick with it and come to enjoy one of the most fun methods of hunting out there. Keep us informed and Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 06:22
it sounds to me like he locks his arm and jerks the release trigger. i got slapped by my bow string once and i went and bought a forearm guard and it never happened again.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 06:39
Thanks to all for the advice.  We're shooting this weekend and I'll be going thru all the tips with him.  I'll post the results.  He is shooting 55 pounds and the release is a hair trigger, the bow lets of 70% and he seems to be able to hold it easily.  I'll watch the mechanics of his shooting more closely. 

The one thing is he hits in the same area consistently.  He's got a decent group, just a foot to the left.... Maybe I should tell him to just aim a foot to the right and he'd be shooting perfect!

From what I can remember, his stance is very perpendiculiar to the target and he is locking that elbow and standing more on his back foot  (leaning back).....  I think this is correctable based on what everybody is telling here.  

Great advice.. Thanks a bunch to all.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 06:52
   If he has enough draw length in that bow to lock his elbow then it sounds like it's too long for him. He should be pulling into a wall which would not allow him to lock that arm. Leaning back is also a sign of too long a draw length. He's needing to do it so he can anchor on the string which is too far back past his face. 

Edited by 300S&W - May/13/2009 at 06:56
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 09:59

If he has enough draw length in that bow to lock his elbow then it sounds like it's too long for him. He should be pulling into a wall which would not allow him to lock that arm. Leaning back is also a sign of too long a draw length. He's needing to do it so he can anchor on the string which is too far back past his face. 

Great point 300, If the weight isn't an issue then draw length likely is. But the anchor point is varaible for some. I don't see how some people are consistant anchoring past the coner of their mouth but they are. I always recommend useing a kisser button and focus on head position for consistancy. But some adapt to long draw and anchor on their jaw bone or their ear lobe. This is one of those things decided on during setup. After all is said and done he may still shoot left, so if the bow if tuned proper he will just have to adjust the pin for his stance. Time will tell. This has me anxious to get off these crutches and get back to shooting. Season is only three + months away!

Oh! I don't remember if anyone has said it, but *60%* of body weight needs to be shifted to the back foot. Just enough to notice and don't lean back.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Great point 300, If the weight isn't an issue then draw length likely is. But the anchor point is varaible for some. I don't see how some people are consistant anchoring past the coner of their mouth but they are. I always recommend useing a kisser button and focus on head position for consistancy. But some adapt to long draw and anchor on their jaw bone or their ear lobe. This is one of those things decided on during setup. After all is said and done he may still shoot left, so if the bow if tuned proper he will just have to adjust the pin for his stance. Time will tell. This has me anxious to get off these crutches and get back to shooting. Season is only three + months away!

Oh! I don't remember if anyone has said it, but *60%* of body weight needs to be shifted to the back foot. Just enough to notice and don't lean back.

You know... when we had those bows set up, they were supposed to adjust the drawlength and now that I think about it, I shot his bow and I did not have a problem on the draw and I shoot an inch longer.....

Yes, on the kiss button and NO on drawing beyond the mouth.  I'm not a fan of that style.  I have always anchored at the corner of my mouth wether I shoot fingers or release. 
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 06:57

All the tips worked.  He isn't dead on but he brought most of his shots to the right by a good 8 inches.  Still needs to work on form but it's a good improvement.  String slap stopped also.  I haven't checked the draw length to see if the bow was adjusted to his pull.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 10:28
Try this ------> www.oneidaeaglebows.com  This is the set up that I have used for years, with the red dot sight, VERY accurate. Unfortunately, I had to sell recently because of financial set backs but it was a great hunting rig - fast accurate and quite deadly on Mr. whitetail!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 12:09
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

All the tips worked.  He isn't dead on but he brought most of his shots to the right by a good 8 inches.  Still needs to work on form but it's a good improvement.  String slap stopped also.  I haven't checked the draw length to see if the bow was adjusted to his pull.

Proper draw length is VERY important to good shooting form.  It is one of the most important aspects of bow setup, in fact.  He should not have his bow arm elbow locked when at full draw, as that causes left and right misses.  Instead, he should have a slight bend in his elbow.  Most likely, too long a draw length is the problem. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic