OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My Namibia Hunting Safari - pics and videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 09:50
ok.. I'll admit it.. I am jealous!

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 10:02
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

If you're having issues send some of that stuff up my way.  Would look great up at the camp!
LOL - I'm sure it would!

What's funny is that I have yet to do any hunting (other than squirrel and rabbit) here in the U.S.!  I've never shot a deer, but I've shot a bunch of African game - weird, eh?

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

ok.. I'll admit it.. I am jealous!

Seriously, if you can afford about $7500 you can duplicate exactly what I did - it really is quite affordable.

Hell, I don't make much money myself (about $50,000 a year) but with some saving and scrimping on some things, I was able to do it easily.

Hell, I'd go again this year but I just laid out about $5000 this year alone on optics, guns, ammo, and accessories with another $5000 to go for ONE rifle and ONE scope - I've got the disease BAD! Loco
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 12:04
Greywolf. Thanks for the info.  Great looking mounts!! Appears you used a taxidermist over there. Do you recall the shipping costs or were they part of the mounting fee? Also, is there a  legal way to transport the cape back to the US?
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 12:18
Originally posted by Dshusker Dshusker wrote:

Greywolf. Thanks for the info.  Great looking mounts!! Appears you used a taxidermist over there. Do you recall the shipping costs or were they part of the mounting fee? Also, is there a  legal way to transport the cape back to the US?
Yes, used a taxidermist over there.  Shipping with fees, customs clearance, etc. was about $1500 or so.  Taxidermist fees were about $1800.  Legally, you have to ship capes through customs (there are agents who you pay a fee to do this, or you can clear them yourself to save some $$, but not enough to really be worth the hassle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 17:16
Good story and terrific photos!!!   Thunbs Up
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 09:40
Good story and thanks for sharing. I only picked up on your post toaday. Living in Namibias back garden we do hunt there from time to time.
Your shooting was good with nice trophies.
I only have one negative comment against the outfitter: I feel that he did wrong not to check up for wounded baboon. Even if they are vermin they deserve a clean death. 400yds is not that far to walk to check up etc.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 19:16
I might have commented on this on the other forum, but congratulations on your fine trip! Good write-up, and since others have commented on one photo already I won't go into that again.

There is a wide range of reaction to some photos of the realities of hunting. I'm not against reality but don't see any need to offend other people, some of whom may even be other hunters.

I'd also like to comment to those who don't hunt. I have yet to see a scrap of edible meat wasted in Africa. It's just about impossible to bring the meat back to the U.S., because of various laws, but ALL game meat is eaten in Africa, either by the hunter, the safari company, or the locals. It's legal to sell game meat in stores in Africa, and it's a welcome part of the local diet, whether purchased in local groecery stores or served in fancy restaurants.

There is so much game in Africa that the animals keep on increasing. It's a VERY renewable resource. Game meat is prized in Africa, and a staple of the economy. Everybody shares in the bounty of the wild, from the safari hunter to shoppers.

In some ways I prefer the system to ours, because EVERYBODY takes part in the harvest ofthe wild, and realizes what what wild game does not just for the economy but basic  food for the everyday table.  

I know all about how market hunting almost wiped out some species in America a century ago. That was a very different thing, and not happening in Africa. In fact game animals are more valuable than domestic animals to many landowners, the reason wild game has made such a big comeback in places where wild animals were almost wiped out a century ago, just as they were here.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 19:28
Amen John!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I might have commented on this on the other forum, but congratulations on your fine trip! Good write-up, and since others have commented on one photo already I won't go into that again.

There is a wide range of reaction to some photos of the realities of hunting. I'm not against reality but don't see any need to offend other people, some of whom may even be other hunters.

I'd also like to comment to those who don't hunt. I have yet to see a scrap of edible meat wasted in Africa. It's just about impossible to bring the meat back to the U.S., because of various laws, but ALL game meat is eaten in Africa, either by the hunter, the safari company, or the locals. It's legal to sell game meat in stores in Africa, and it's a welcome part of the local diet, whether purchased in local groecery stores or served in fancy restaurants.

There is so much game in Africa that the animals keep on increasing. It's a VERY renewable resource. Game meat is prized in Africa, and a staple of the economy. Everybody shares in the bounty of the wild, from the safari hunter to shoppers.

In some ways I prefer the system to ours, because EVERYBODY takes part in the harvest ofthe wild, and realizes what what wild game does not just for the economy but basic  food for the everyday table.  

I know all about how market hunting almost wiped out some species in America a century ago. That was a very different thing, and not happening in Africa. In fact game animals are more valuable than domestic animals to many landowners, the reason wild game has made such a big comeback in places where wild animals were almost wiped out a century ago, just as they were here.

Couldn't have said it better myself - kudos!

PS - I wish our system here was a LOT more like that in Africa - it sure would be a lot more fun and profitable to hunt here, and not so damn expensive and frustrating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic