OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My Namibia Hunting Safari - pics and videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Namibia Hunting Safari - pics and videos
    Posted: May/12/2009 at 12:48

Sorry I forgot about posting this here - been almost a year and I still think about this trip on a daily basis!

Here it is:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2271719/page/1#Post2271719

It was easier to post the link to 24hourcampfire than redo all the verbiage, links, photos, video, etc.

I post by the name "JohnCrighton" over there.

Links to my photo albums:

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc271/johncrighton/Namibia%20Huniting/

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc271/johncrighton/Namibia%20Travel/

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc271/johncrighton/Trohpies/

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:19
Very entertaining story and great pcitures.  An adventure of a lifetime for sure.

Congrats on a great hunt.
God save the Empire!
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:03
Thanks, Dogger - just got an email from my PH who said it is even BETTER this year due to better rains - sure wish I could go again . . . maybe next year.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 17:41

Really nice write-up/story, looks like you had a great time.  Some day i'd surely like to get there.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 18:14
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Really nice write-up/story, looks like you had a great time.  Some day i'd surely like to get there.

If you ever get serious about it, let me know - I'll hook you up with the same outfit - they are top notch!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 18:32
   Very well documented and definitely entertaining!  I'd been saving it for this evenings read but hit it early.  GLAD all went well for ya and THANKS for sharing.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 19:12
Good article, mostly good pictures... probably a great life memory.
HOWEVER>>>
1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 21:59
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good article, mostly good pictures... probably a great life memory.
HOWEVER>>>
1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

Sorry, didn't know about those rules - I won't post any pics here, though, but I can't alter the post over on 24hourcampfire -

So, a warning to all - some pics and videos actually show blood, guts, etc. - view at your own risk.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 22:01
PS - if you would like me to remove this thread, please let me know.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 06:37
Hi, greywolf!

Thanks for sharing your safari with us!  We all appreciate good hunting stories and pics!  Personally, I don't know that it's necessary to kill the thread, since you posted links and not the actual pictures here, but Chris may disagree.

The issue described above pertains to your pic of the jackal.  It's not an issue of people being grossed out over gore; many of us here are hunters and we know the realities of taking game.  Rather, it's an issue of respect and the image we want to portray of hunting here at OT.   See this thread for an explanation of why this forum rule is in place, and I think you will gain a better appreciation for why our host stipulated the "respect" rule:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12946

We all know your intentions were good, and there are no hard feelings, but rules are rules, whether we agree with them or not.  As users of this forum, we are obligated to abide by them.

Thank you!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 07:26
Understood, Ted - thanks for the explanation.  I will defer to Chris regarding this and do what he wishes - his site, his rules, simple enough Smile
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 08:17
In the mean time, I'm glad I got to catch this post. You did a fine job on an extensive write up.

Thanks,
Doug
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 09:54
Thanks, Doug.  It really was a trip of a lifetime.  My PH did an awesome job for someone so young, and the videos he took of my shots were just phenomenal.  He's actually ended up with more business as a result of the videos!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 10:17
John, if you are John Crighton, not trying to rain on your parade.  The article was excellent, what a story...well done.  There is only one picture that is offensive.  We all see things like the jackal out in the field at some time or other, but even if it is/was the hunt of a lifetime, there are those who "hang out" on these forums who will simply use such things as "ammunition" to demean hunting, hunters, weapons used to hunt with.  Why give them the fodder they use to take from us what we hold dear?  Besides that, my daughter looks through the OT with me sometimes... that kind of thing upsets her and convinces her that she doesn't want to hunt.  She hunted with me for a couple of years, then stopped.  I use the forum to show her the joy and beauty of hunting hoping she will hunt with me again... then a jackal picture comes along and I am back to ground ZERO (in this case probably working on a negative, now).  I should have looked first, usually do, but got wrapped up in the story and she was reading along with me.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 10:28
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

John, if you are John Crighton, not trying to rain on your parade.  The article was excellent, what a story...well done.  There is only one picture that is offensive.  We all see things like the jackal out in the field at some time or other, but even if it is/was the hunt of a lifetime, there are those who "hang out" on these forums who will simply use such things as "ammunition" to demean hunting, hunters, weapons used to hunt with.  Why give them the fodder they use to take from us what we hold dear?  Besides that, my daughter looks through the OT with me sometimes... that kind of thing upsets her and convinces her that she doesn't want to hunt.  She hunted with me for a couple of years, then stopped.  I use the forum to show her the joy and beauty of hunting hoping she will hunt with me again... then a jackal picture comes along and I am back to ground ZERO (in this case probably working on a negative, now).  I should have looked first, usually do, but got wrapped up in the story and she was reading along with me.

Understood totally.  The original post was on a site that usually doesn't encounter those types of sensibilities or issues, but it is very understandable.  Trust me, my panties are not in a way over the comments or rules - quite the contrary! :)

BTW - my name is "Eric" just so you know.

Believe it or not, most of the people (mostly women) where I work had no problem with the jackal pics - they were most upset by me killing a Zebra! Loco
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 07:51
I assume you didn't bring the meat back. Did you bring the heads? If so, how difficult is it to transport the trophies back to the states? I have heard different opinions on the subject. A taxidermist friend says it can involve multiple "gratuities." Other friends who went to Zimbabwe found it easy to bring back their trophies if you know the right people and process.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 08:41
Originally posted by Dshusker Dshusker wrote:

I assume you didn't bring the meat back. Did you bring the heads? If so, how difficult is it to transport the trophies back to the states? I have heard different opinions on the subject. A taxidermist friend says it can involve multiple "gratuities." Other friends who went to Zimbabwe found it easy to bring back their trophies if you know the right people and process.

Ate the meat (plus the excess was used by the ranch to feed the help, pay them, etc.).

Had the skulls and horns done for mounts - pics here:

You have to go through a taxidermist, get permits, pay fees, etc.  Cost about $3500 for the 6 skulls and 3 skins - honestly, if I go back I'll probably just take a lot of pics but not do the taxidermy again - that way I could use the money for my hunting!

Some people try to bring their trophies back in their luggage, but if you get caught they'll confiscate them all.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 08:50
The mounts look very nice greywolf.

Need some serious wall space for the horns.
God save the Empire!
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 09:18
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

The mounts look very nice greywolf.

Need some serious wall space for the horns.
Good God, you don't even know the half of it!  We live in a FL hurricane-resistant house from the late 60s, and the ceilings are only 7 feet high!  The KUDU especially is MASSIVE - I couldn't have gotten a shoulder mount even if I had wanted it.

Just wait till we put the zebra skin on the wall - that thing is enormous!

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 09:47
If you're having issues send some of that stuff up my way.  Would look great up at the camp!
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic