OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2 new scopes, impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogomil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 new scopes, impressions
    Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:18

Just received both the Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5 and the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25.  I can't tell any difference in the clarity.  The Bushnell does have a wider FOV.  The Weaver illumination is a clear winner between these two for me.  Under low light, the Weaver dot is circular and clearly defined while the Bushnell dot is a flared, mis-shaped, mess.  The Weaver is shorter.  I'm almost wishing I had gotten two of the Weaver Extremes.

What makes the Bushnell the better scope?  Rainguard?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:28
I had the Bushnell for a bit, to me it was a tad too bright even at the lowest setting

how does the Extreme 1.5 compare?
I do have the 2.5-10x56 Extreme

which feels lighter?
as for clarity, are you testing at night/low light?
bogomil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogomil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 10:03
The Extreme red dot was crisper, more clear and defined, and much more functional.  Not too bright at all like the Elite, which is like a small red solar flare.  I don't know which is heavier; they seemed about the same to me, although the Elite is about 2" longer or so.  I don't have them in front of me right now.  I fooled around with them all day at the office and at dusk and and at night at home.  Couldn't tell any difference between the two glass wise.  I haven't mounted them yet.  Don't know about mechanics or durability, which I hope someone here can fill me in on.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 12:43
I only own Weaver 1-3x20 scopes, but have been more than duly impressed with their low-light performance and optical clarity.
bogomil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogomil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:51

I found an older post where a guy was going to sell his Khales and buy the Weaver Extreme.  He challenged the guys who rolled their eyes at this to see for themselves.  Did they?  Has anyone shot much with the WE or generally wrung one out?  I'd like to know as I'm tempted to buy the 2.5-10 and would like to know of any achilles heel now.  I harbor no notion that these are the best scopes in the world. 

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:02
I have a Kahles CL 3-10x50
also have a Weaver 2.05-10x56
have tested both back to back at night
the Kahles is ever, ever, ever so slightly sharper
not brighter
 the weaver is VERY impressive
bogomil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogomil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:18
I just found and read your review and appreciate it.  Seems I'm kinda beating a dead horse here in reading old posts.  Sorry I went all "Jojo the idiot circus boy with his pretty new pet." 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 14:19
I can't say for certain if the 4200's are better scopes overall but I can say from owning 6 of them that they are very durable, track exceptionally well and have pretty amazing optics especially considering their modest cost. I have not compared them to the new Leupold VX3 but they are definitely better than the older Vari-XIII and VXIII. To me, the Rainguard just adds icing to the cake.
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 17:55
Thanks for the review.  I was leaning on the Bushnell before I come to realize that it has a longer tube compared with the Weaver.  Too bad though that this Classic Xtreme is being 'phased out' in favor of something else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic