OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zeiss Victory 8x42FL did I made the best selection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory 8x42FL did I made the best selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory 8x42FL did I made the best selection
    Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:37
Hello everybody!!

I recently bought a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x42 FL Lotutec Binos, but I was undecided between them and the swarovski 8.4x42 EL, and  just got the zeiss bucause of a better deal.

However I am intrigued to know if the swaros are better or which qualities have over zeiss FL Binos.  Or each one qualities..

Many optics salesman that I have talked with were more inclined for swaro, but I have read better reviews for the zeiss on several forums, so i personaly feel it is more like a marketing stuff or I really don't know....

The more strong opinions found that made me go for the zeiss vs swaro is that I read that the zeiss binos are better for low light situations (more bright),  but the swaros are better in daylight ( more sharp and contrast) . So I have in my mind that maybe the zeiss will perform better in whitetail/elk/bear hunting and the swaros in Africa, or daylight hunting...

I tryed both models at a big hunting store some months ago and before the purchase, but couldn't recognize any specific difference between them....

Now with my zeiss on my hands I have look to some hills in my city and I feel like I desire a little more resolution/sharpness to see at long distances 500-700 yds.

so the 100K question is  will it be more easy to find a muley bedded in a shade or in the brush with the swaros?

Will it be more easy to see a buck/rack in the twilight with the zeiss?

Maybe is just a psycho issue !!!

Thanks

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:53
I've tried both (currently hunt Leica 10x42s) and prefer the Zeiss, I thought them a little easier to hold and the glass was a little sharper.  Also, I hear those center-hing Swaros have more issues with getting knocked out of alignment.

The Zeiss 8x32 and 8x42 are superb.  The Swaro's were very good too (I didn't think as good as my older Leicas) but I prefer the Victorys.

As for the bedded muly, the Zeiss are easier for me to hold, leading to less fatigue, leading to more time on the glass, leadig to a higher probability of spotting the beeded muly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:57
Personally, I feel that when you get to the level of Swaro EL, Zeiss FL and Leica Ultra's it really boil down to ergo's and not a whole lot more. All are superb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:59
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Personally, I feel that when you get to the level of Swaro EL, Zeiss FL and Leica Ultra's it really boil down to ergo's and not a whole lot more. All are superb.

True.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 20:06
+1

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 20:23
If you are having trouble getting a sharp view with those Zeiss bins at 700 yards, I would double check your diopter setting.  If that does not help, compare them to another pair of Victorys in real world conditions looking at the same subject.  Zeiss is a great product, and great company, but anybody can get a lemon.  I would bet Zeiss would make it right, and right away if that was the case.  Your binoculars are some of the highest resolution bins available.

Those bedded mulies better watch out with those bins hangin' from your neck.  Good luck hunting!Whistling
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 22:09
You can read forums day in and day out and find everyone has a different opinion on all the top optics. Even the birding forums have totally oposing opinions, Zeiss vs Leica vs Swaro vs ??. When you get to the best, binos, scopes, guns, cars, bikes, it really comes down to a personal choice, some will agree and some will not. Your choice is just that, YOURS. Don't waste your time trying to convince anyone else, be happy you've made a purchase a lot of us only dream about.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 23:39
What you have is one of the best binoculars you can get.  I would strongly advise you to just go forth and use it.  You will drive yourself nuts if you get into the thing about ...geee what about a Swaro,...no wait...what about a Leica....no wait....!  Just use the Zeiss and enjoy it.  If some quirk shows up, then it shows up.  The point is everything has some quirks and design flaws and a few basic faults.  If you go looking for them, you will find them, so just enjoy the Zeiss.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:08
Originally posted by big boar big boar wrote:

You can read forums day in and day out and find everyone has a different opinion on all the top optics. Even the birding forums have totally oposing opinions, Zeiss vs Leica vs Swaro vs ??. When you get to the best, binos, scopes, guns, cars, bikes, it really comes down to a personal choice, some will agree and some will not. Your choice is just that, YOURS. Don't waste your time trying to convince anyone else, be happy you've made a purchase a lot of us only dream about.

I disagree, but you had to know that was coming!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:10

If you have doubts about seeing mule deer at longer ranges you need more magnification, not another brand.

I own a bunch of really good binoculars, including the same Zeiss you chose. I also have Leicas, Swarovskis and a bunch of other good ones including Bushnell Elites, Nikon Premiers, Meoptas, Pentax DCF ED's, Minox, etc. etc. You can indeed drive yourself nuts thinking about "what if."

What I have noticed when glassing with any of my binoculars iiand with other people) s that while some binoculars are slightly better than others, with anything top-grade the difference is so slight that results in the field will be more due to magnification than brand--or the skill of the glasser.

If you really do feel deprived go buy a top 10x glass, but don't obsess over the particular brand. My own choice for big-country glassing is my 8+12 Leica Duovid, not because Leica glass is so much superior toi Zeiss or Swarovski or Meopta or Nikon, but because I switch to 12x after finding something not quite identifiable on 8x. Slight differences in optics do not make up for the difference between 8x and 10--or 10x and 12x.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:21
I agree.  I find, at this level anyway, that ergonomics and weight play  bigger rolls than most expect.  The ability to hold the binos still and for extended periods of time really, really helps.

My eyes haven't started failing me yet, so I can't comment on that, but I advise you handle the binos before you buy.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 09:35

An excellent point.

I have found the recent trend to lighter binoculars a little unfortunate. Light glasses are fine for woods hunting, where you're not sitting there for long periods taking apart the landscape. But something a little heavier (and well-balanced) will be far more comfortable and steady when glassing for hours.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 10:41
Agustinmx,
As has been said, you will drive yourself crazy trying to decide which top end binocular is "best," as they are all so good that they are very close.  Different people prefer different nuances of certain models, and as RC said, often, the decision isn't based on just optics but ergonomics and individual features of certain models.  One thing's for certain; all of the alpha class binos are superb optically, and you certainly have one of the best binoculars currently available in the world.  Enjoy!

There are optical differences between the flagship models, and none are perfect.  The Zeiss Victory FL has the best CA control of the top binoculars.  I've heard reports that it has perhaps the best light transmission as well (in the full size models using the Abbe Koenig prisms).  The Swarovski EL has a larger "sweet spot."  The Leica Ultravid HD is sort of a compromise between the best features of those two -- larger sweet spot than Zeiss, less CA than Swaro, but with a little less FOV than either, comparing equivalent models.  The Leica, and I believe the Swaro as well have somewhat emhanced contrast, whereas the Zeiss has what some have called a more "natural" contrast.  I've heard the Nikon EDG is comparable to the "big 3" as well.  Depending on which specific models you compare, some have more forgiving eye relief, better eyecup adjustability, better balance, etc. than the others, so the "best" model series for you may vary depending on the magnification and objective size.  Each have unique features that set them apart from the others, depending on who you ask and what you prefer.

What is really surprising these days is not how good the most expensive, alpha class bins are, but how incredibly close to "alpha class" performance the various mid priced binoculars have become! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 12:05

The other reason not to sweat it much is that all of them will have "new and improved" models out within a year or two.

Despite that, I have 10-year old binoculars in my collection that still work just fine for spotting game.....

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:04
The very best binocular is one someone else is carrying...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Agustinmx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agustinmx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 18:25
OK and really thanks everybody for your good comments and advice, yes I think I have to get more used to the binos and work more with the focus.
It was a little hard to decide when I ordered the zeiss, without having previos experience with other binos brands in this class.
I'm sure muleys won't hide next season...

cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 21:23
Are you kidding me?  Those are the second best bino EVER.  I own the first which of course the ZEISS Victory FL 7x42 T*!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic