OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ballistic Chronographs - Which Ones Are Best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballistic Chronographs - Which Ones Are Best?
    Posted: May/11/2009 at 15:32
Howdy, y'all.  Well, I'm gonna get a chronograph as soon as I can, maybe before I have a range day next Friday.  It seems like I can't really know which handloads are best without one of these critters.  So I want ask all you other chrono owners on the board which one you have or had, if you like it, if it works well, what is wrong with it even if it works well, etc. etc.

Please help me keep from making an expensive mistake here, boys.  I have never owned or played around with a shooting chronograph, so I don't even know what I should be looking for in a good one.  Somebody like Mr. John Barsness prolly could really add value to this discussion I hope I am provoking - so come on, John B, let 'er rip!

Regards,

Texas
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 16:08
Well I'm not John B, and I can't remember ever staying in a Holiday Inn Express, but I have used a chronograph.
While I don't claim to be an expert on chronographs, I did a little research before I bought mine. I have a CED M2, and I couldn't be happier with it, unless it was free (oh wait, it was a Christmas present). It has a few functions that I haven't used yet, including a computor program, and It will talk to me. It seems to be accurate, it will record and save shots and shot strings. It gives me the highest, and lowest velocity in a shot string, as well as the average and standard deviation of that string. You can upgrade the skyscreens to infrared,but I haven't needed them and I have used it on really overcast days. If your skyscreens are damaged, you can buy new ones.
For 200 bucks I don't think you can go wrong. The only thing you will need extra will be a camera or scope tripod. I got a really nice one for 25 bucks. I hope this helps.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 16:49
I'm going to hold back on this one, mostly because only yesterday I received a sample of a new German-made chronograph that will soon be on the market in the U.S. I'm going to run some tests soon, comparing it to some other chronographs.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 17:40
First one I bought was a Shooting Chrony that met an early demise from a 180 gr Ballistic Tip. The second one that I currently own is a Pro Chrono Digital that has much wider sky screens and seems to work very well. You can get them for around 100 bucks.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 17:51
PACT XP1 work fine for me.  Just don't let the battery get low, it will give you some very odd readings.   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:23
Yeah, low batteries are bad news on any chronograph!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:26
Once again you were right on the low battery readings I was geting on my 300 WM 180gr loadings. Should have known to question the great one!!!!
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 19:48
"Please help me keep from making an expensive mistake here, boys. "

I don't believe that's possible. 

From what I've seen, heard and read, they all work well enough for the purpose of obtaining velocity but none are bullet proff, if you shoot them they are dead.  What varies is the extra bells and whistles and user convience.  None will work with weak batteries!

My 11 year old PACT Pro is still doing well.  It includes a built-in printer and a fairly sophisticated computer that gives me a LOT more information and ballistics tables I can print at the range.  The (inexpensive) screens are all that sit in harms way, so far they have survived.   I love it and would not own one that puts the major components in the bullet's path but that's a personal thing.

An often unmentioned additional item is the vital tripod to mount the sensors.  It needs to be fairly heavy and sturdy.  Stability can be holped by placing a mesh bag with a couple-three boxes of ammo under the head.  I use a 12 ft. strip of bright ribbon as a gage for placing my first screen in front of the bench.
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 20:40
Had a Shooting Chrony.  Don't get one.  My Pro Chrono has been great.  So far Whatever.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 21:05
Thanks, fellas, that is the kind of info I wanted to get. Anybody got an Oehler? I always heard about them when I was younger in magazines and stuff, but I suppose there are other units out now that are as good.  More comments are better, so come on and speak up!

Texas
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 07:00
   I'm still using the Shooting Chrony I bought back in the mid 80's.  Like to have a dollar for every bullet and arrow the locals and me have shot across it!
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 11:27
"Anybody got an Oehler?"

Yeah.  But that's no help for you now, Oehler has ceased to make chronographs for reloaders.

Some people have reported troubles with Chronys.   Also with others,  ALL others.  Including Oehler!  

If we only trusted a maker that was flawless every instance we wouldn't buy much of anything.  Suspect the makers can/will fix any that don't do right.    ???
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:11
My Pro Chrono is cheap and effective.  I think there can be variations between units in all brands.  Another bonus to the Pro Chrono, in my opinion, is that it doesn't have a bunch of features I'll never use.  I just want to now how fast the projectile is going.
-Matt
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:31
This is the unit I have just started to use.  Has been working ok for the short amount of time I have tried it and has many features available.  Not too expensive at $139 Cdn - remote display unit is really convenient.

God save the Empire!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:37
Can't edit anymore for some reason.  Here is more info if you're interested:

God save the Empire!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 13:42
Crosswire, I believe you are correct about no suppliers being perfect. And I found out about Oehler discontinuing production of reloading-grade chronographs last night with some disappointment. I read a real positive writeup on the Personal Ballistics Lab setup in an old Precision Shooting I had lying around... I thought I might get one of those until I got to the Oehler website.

I am leaning toward the PACT Pro XP. Heck, it is made in Texas USA! Anyway, while Googling I ran across the KURZZEIT™ PVM-21© chronograph. John B., is that the German chronograph you are about to evaluate? They are advertised on the Neconos website and sound pretty nice - but the price is also pretty eyewatering by my standards.

Anyhow, thanks to all for responding. I guess I'll see how fast Midway can get a PACT chronograph to me. Good shooting!

Regards,

Texas
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 12:25
I use a $79 Chrony F1 and have had no problems.  Comes with 2 peice poles and 2-3 section reflector so you can set it up for two differnet heights.  I have hear of a few people shooting their chronies by mistake, I don't think I would ever admit to doing it if I did.  Plenty of room to shoot through if set-up right.  My is basic and only gives the numbers, no fancy calculations or printing but i can up grade to what dogger has.  All these things are is two electric eyes that detect bullets as they interrupt or change the light intensity they see then start a clock until the 2nd sensor detects the bullets.  Time betwen the sensor = speed, done deal.  You can spend a fortune and go cheap.  I like cheap and functional! Big Smile
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 20:26
Well, can't get a chrono by Friday without paying silly$$$ shipping, so I been researching more. Is anyone using a CED M2 besides Beltfed?  These seem pretty good, and the reviews by buyers on Midways site are all positive. I dunno, I'm still pondering.
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 08:22
Pro Chrono. Can't go wrong for the money.
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 08:24
Build your table like this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic